Dracthyr Naming Conventions Revealed?

Looks like we’re not going to be using those -strasz or -dormu suffixes!

I’ve been watching a couple alpha streams with the Dracthyr starting zone paying attention to the names. I’m seeing names like:

• Emberthal
  • Cindrethresh
  • Azurathel
  • Tethalash
  • Viridia

So… no hard and fast rules that are immediately obvious, like typical dragons. You can see certain dragonflight-based roots like “ember,” “azure,” which does tend to evoke the colouration of the dracthyr, but that’s not universal. I have seen a few -ians and well, so there are hints toward the standard dragon names… but they’re not standardized at all.

Looks like we’ll have a lot of flexibility if we want lore-appropriate names.

11 Likes

What color dragon is Viridia? The name suggests black, but I’m not familiar with the character.

1 Like

Viridian is usually a shade of green.

19 Likes

I’m gonna name mine, Bob.

13 Likes

Green. A healer, too, so it does seem that their “roles” as it were are not entirely disconnected from their colours.

2 Likes

Dervishian is an interesting one. Looks to be a yellow/brownish colour, but the name is evocative of wind (which isn’t really associated with any of the main dragonflights), and it has a traditionally Black suffix.

I’m seeing a lot of “sh” and “th” sounds, as well. More common than not.

1 Like

Considering the Dracthyr are created by Neltharion from combining dragons with mortal essences, I did not really expect them to match the dragon naming conventions. Doesn’t change the fact my Dracthyr Evoker will still be named “Kiofeaevo”.

2 Likes

Sarkareth is also interesting, although I wonder if this was even intended. “Sark” is an Old English term for a suit of chainmail or, interestingly, scalemail. So the name really leans into that draconic connection without evoking a specific dragonflight or colour. And we see that “th” rounding off the name again.

1 Like

Azurathel also sounds sort of angelic. That’s probably coincidental, but it would be cool to see some of that influence in their names.

3 Likes

mine might be steve or kevin
lol

There definitely seems to be enough flexibility there to poach some inspiration from there without making the name entirely implausible.

“Dervish” and association with wind may not be specific to any dragonflight, but it is very dragon-y. It ties to their wings and flight.

They sure have:

Imgur

6 Likes

Well, it’s not like you have to go outside draconic convention to make goofy names.

I for one look forward to partying with Abnormu, Asparagosa, and Alcastrasz.

9 Likes

Names ending in “th” go back to the Bible with Goliath and Behemoth, but Blizzard has definitely used plenty of them too like Mannoroth, Khaz’goroth and N’zoth – and Azeroth!

Although I usually don’t pay attention to which alt I’m posting on, I swapped specifically for this one, because as you can see I decided to follow that trend in naming one of my own DHs.

1 Like

True. I do wonder if it’s a conscious decision, or just Blizzard being Blizzard.

Oh, 100%. Names focusing on the sheer physicality of the Dracthyr are also present.

Bookmarking this thread and hoping people will keep adding to it as they discover more names :slight_smile:

Poke @Kaspyn this thread for Dragon names that I see, yes?

1 Like

Yes please!! :heart: I have it bookmarked in case more names pop up and people are graceful enough to share ^^ :crossed_fingers:

1 Like