Dotty, the charity pet...sort of

You’re once again having a discussion that none of us are. Absolutely no one is referring to the OP’s original statement in these conversations we’re having in this thread that you were quoting and responding to. Rankin finally caught your bait and started talking about the OP, but none of us were. Yet you seem to be hell-bent on defending something none of us are even talking about.

I also see @Therinity is still following this thread and just refusing to respond and saying they’re muting the discussion. Pro tip: of you’re going to continue to read through something after lying to people, don’t out yourself by liking posts. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

The woke police is still outraged. I bought the pet last night. Tonight I’m buying the plushie :smirk:

2 Likes

This also just has a cut off date, there is a cut off amount, but it is FAR above any and all the charities they have done for wow pets.

so literally that cutoff will not come into effect

1 Like

they release the amount every year because as a public company donations like that are made publicy so you can see exactly how much.
wow.gamepedia .com/Charity

Amen. This a thousand times.

5 Likes

They could give nothing. Would that be ok with your sensibilities? Perhaps you could post a copy of your charity giving?

3 Likes

Yet these charities are happy and cool with it :rofl::rofl::rofl: Otherwise they would not be partnering at all with Blizzard :joy::joy::joy::joy:

The main motivation of these charities in partnering up with companies like Blizz is to raise AWARENESS and MONEY. Something that has been successful so far. Whether blizz profits from it or not is something they really do not care about.

edit: I actually think they do care about these companies benefiting from their partnership since it will encourage more companies to help them in their charity drives :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It is clearly stated for all to see before you even decide to donate and get the pet. If you don’t like what they say, then it’s your choice to close the page and don’t buy Dottie. I think the majority of people would love to buy Dottie even without it being a donation to charity. They are donating 100% of the proceeds UP TO $3million. That’s more than you and I give in donations, yes? Donate or don’t. It’s your choice… but…

DON’T BE A SCROOGE.

2 Likes

Seriously.
MacDonald’s do a meal that says for every burger that’s sells we’ll donate $1 to charity and no one bats an eyelid, Blizzard do a in game pet and say that up to 3 million dollars every cent will go to charity and the #$%^ hits the fan…

You know what if this somehow offends your sensibilities (how I don’t know) then don’t buy it! that’ll show them and their charity!

6 Likes

Don’t twist my words please.

Fun Fun Fun… ok let’s do this.

First scenario, you give to someone without expecting anything back… sign of a nice person.
Second scenario, looks like someone makes a purchase. I do it every day when I go shopping. And if I buy Dottie, I can do it now when it will go toward that $3million, or I can wait until after the donation period and just let Blizzard have the entire (whoa) $10.

So since when is business scummy? Apparently you aren’t anywhere near upper management or you would be more business minded. As long as you think of businesses as scummy, since the ones who do the charitable donations do so just like Blizzard, you will always be in the labor group. I cheer for any business who will give to charitable organizations as that is how those organizations help the people who are really in need. If the businesses write off those donations, then great. At least some people were helped along the way.

If you go long form, and you donate to charities during the year, I’m quite sure you would write off those donations and try to reduce your taxes. Don’t tell me you wouldn’t because I know for a fact that any person who has enough expenses to go long form writes off as much as they can.

1 Like

Also Homogenised! And slap in the face! And Mary Sue! Just wanted to get all the buzz words in there!

1 Like

Man, it truly is amazing how you can completely misrepresent someone’s entire point by divorcing the quoted text from its actual justification for that conclusion. Namely that I said it basically functions like a loan where they are giving, with the expectation of something in return. Except this expectation isn’t an expectation that may or may not happen, it is guaranteed to happen in the form of a tax write off because for some reason we made charitable donations a tax write off, undermining the entire idea of what a charitable donation actually is. You give to give, not because you’ll gain a benefit for doing so down the line.

No, I really don’t feel good when I do something charitable because I don’t allow myself to. Otherwise I taint good intention with the possibility I might be doing it for the feeling good aspect at which point, am I actually donating to be charitable or for a dopamine hit that benefits them by extension?

Then your motives are not made through Altruism but in pursuit of self gratification. If you need any form of motivator to do a good deed be that emotionally or financially, then the good deed isn’t done with pure intention, therefore it isn’t a good deed. Which makes it self-serving at best with the illusion you give yourself that you did a good deed.

Which again, you’re trying to divorce the entire situation from the relevant aspects. If you want to simplify your thinking to “They give money to charity, they’re good people.” Then that’s on you, but end of the day this isn’t done through altruism and to pretend it’s done in the name of altruism and not self interest is dishonest.

Sorry, what else am I supposed to address someone as when they have shown an ineptitude of reading comprehension?

If you doing a good deed requires the caveat that you benefit from it, it isn’t a good deed. It’s a pursuit of self interest you cast off as “doing a good deed.” Bottom line is this and like I said. If you want to con yourself into thinking because you effectively bought a pet under the presumption that your dollars are going to an organization, that’s on you. However don’t pretend like this is anything other than what it really is which is that you bought a pet.

This is easily explained with one question. If you’re such a generous person and “doing it for the charity”, why did you opt to use the middleman who is going to reward you with a pet rather than donate directly to the charity where you receive nothing in return?

These accomplish the same goal, the only difference is one rewards you for doing it. If you need to have a reward for doing something good, then you are not charitable. If you needed a pixelated pet to justify you donating to a charity then it speaks a lot more about you than it does me. At least when I donate to a charity I don’t need a carrot on a stick justifying me doing do. I do it because I can and don’t need to receive from it in order to do it nothing more and nothing less.

No, you are not. You are buying an in game pet which again, if you’re truly “giving money to a charity” why did you do so through the middleman who is going to reward you for doing such? Let’s just call it what it is. You bought a pixelated pet, sure maybe them saying “3 million of proceeds go to charity!” might have influenced your decision to do such and make it an easier pill to swallow, but realistically you just did it for a pet. Just don’t consider yourself charitable because you bought a pet because proceeds go to a charity, simply by virtue that if you were truly giving to a charity to give to a charity, you would have done so directly where you don’t receive a benefit from doing so. The very fact you had to be rewarded for this action to justify doing it shows it for what it is, selfish behavior that ambiently benefits others but is never the actual focus.

Because I’d like to keep the integrity of the phrase “charitable donation” intact. If it needs to reward you in order to be done, it’s not a charitable donation. Period.

Also, I’m so glad you’re capable of living with yourself, I’d be pretty upset with myself if my good deeds required me having to benefit and then subsequently lying to myself about why I did it to avoid addressing the ugly truth of not doing so for the sake of altruism but in the pursuit of self gratification.

Really? Because your other replies to this very same post you’re quoting prove my point pretty clearly. You’re here ignoring literally everything visibly wrong with the situation and just fixating on “THEY GIVE MONEY TO CHARITY SO THEY ARE GOOD PEOPLE!”

They pulled the wool over your eyes and you bought into it, figuratively speaking, in the exact way I described. They attached the phrasing “3 million dollars of proceeds go to a charity” and you stopped right there and took the bait and are now trying your hardest to defend the misguided notion this is done of benevolence and that they’re still good people for doing such.

Again, I don’t write off my charitable donations. 40 dollars from my last paycheck towards Autism Speaks will not show up on my taxes for a write off, nor will the other donations I’ve made with my other paychecks this year to other organizations, including Make-A-Wish. And trust me, even addressing that to make this point is upsetting me because I don’t do these things as token pieces for an argument to brag about how much I give, just as bad as philanthropists who donate to a charity then proceed to grandstand about how great they are because they did so. Can easily come off as “Oh so you did this so you can brag about yourself.” Unlike some of us I don’t need to receive a benefit for my actions in order to justify doing them. I do them simply because I can.

Good, now instead donate directly to the foundation if you are going to donate. Or are you just here to defend corporate greed and manipulation masked as charitable intent because it says “Proceeds go to charity!*”

Yeah except the phrase “Dispatcher” applies to a plethora of occupations. Truck drivers have people who tell them where to go to pick up loads of goods, or where to deliver. Know what they call them? Dispatchers.

And if you are actually doing such as a voluntary effort, not in pursuit of any form of compensation for your effort then good on you, there’s hope for you yet. However I’m not really here to get into a charitable accolades shouting match because I do these things out of good will, I really detest having to even bring them up in conversation because even then it feels like my motives are undermined.

Yes, because the belief that you shouldn’t require compensation for doing something good is a “twisted view.”

What a coincidence, because I’m glad I’m not friends with anyone who is misguided enough to think because they require something in return to justify doing a good deed means they’re a giving person.

Judging by how frustrated your post seems to imply it indicates you wouldn’t be in for a pleasant time if you had someone questioning whether your motives for doing good things were genuinely pure or not. Just kind of looks like I struck a nerve, introspection making you aware of some unpleasant truths is it?

Yeah that’s why I said “attempt” but even if they don’t hit that marker, it’s still a tax write off.

Never said it wasn’t, but again, if you need to write off charitable donations on your taxes, you’re not a charitable person.

1 Like

Nope, I’m a glorified bean counter with a different title and a few different obligations, at times I’d argue I’m closer to a secretary than my actual job title. I handle paperwork and basically serve as a bean counter without the actual title of a bean counter, but I definitely am very much aware where the finances for the company employing me go. But for what it’s worth I’m making 23 an hour in an area where minimum wage is like 9.50, maybe 10 at age 26 when the average income for people in my area is somewhere around 14-16.

Inaccurate. Having ones own opinions on altruism doesn’t classify them as part of a labor group. Hell, I’ve never done grunt work because numbers and logistics have always been my strong suit in life. Never was cut out for manual labor.

If you’re fine with considering “Oh yeah I did a good deed for self serving reasons that just so happened to benefit other people.” as being charitable then that’s on you. I refuse to accept it as such. It greatly pains me to know the company I work for donates themselves to a plethora of organizations, both charitable and just strictly businesses. Like they donate to the YMCA here in town and it gets used to benefit the facility and the people who go there, but it’s done strictly as a write off rather than doing so to actually help. In fact they don’t even care if people benefit, they’re only focused on the tax write off, that’s about as far from charitable as you can get.

I’ve already stated in previous posts that I write off literally none of my personal donations to charity and given my reasoning which is basically: If I am doing such then writing it off on taxes, it doesn’t come off to me as having done it because I can rather than “Oh because it’s a tax write off.” Poor financial management move sure, but at least I’m honest with my intentions and not needing a reward to justify doing something good when it’s within my power to do something good.

To be completely honest, I think the idea of charitable donations even being a tax write off is completely stupid and should be removed. Sure it isn’t pragmatic in that then practically nobody would give to charity, but if people need to be rewarded to justify giving to a charity, it should show you how impure their gesture really is.

I didn’t. Where is that copy of your charity giving?

What a bummer that they are capping the donation at S3 mil. I hate it when companies pull sketchy stuff like this.

Just imagine how many more children would benefit from this if Blizzard gave 100% of whatever they get from the pet.

I would love to know if they hit the $3 mil mark yet because I haven’t bought it yet and won’t if the money isn’t going to help the kids.

1 Like

On the bright side you can go to your favorite charity and just give them the money instead.

4 Likes

Well considering the charity pet sales are between 1 to 2.5 million dollars, it seems to be a non issue. While I agree the wording was awkward. It’s understandable, there is a limited number of plushie in the world. My guess is they only had enough plushies for 3 million dollars of sales.

Unlikely, they have never sold 3 million dollars worth of charity pets.

Very true, although I already do this. I’ll just make a donation directly to Make a Wish so I am not left wondering if I lined company pockets or helped kids in need.