Dotty, the charity pet...sort of

I’m a bit confused. Perhaps someone can clarify this for me.

Activision Blizzard is offering a pet to raise money for charity. This is a good thing. It even says in the explanatory website about it:

" we’ll donate 100% of the purchase price** to be shared equally with Make-A-Wish® and WE."

That’s great, thinks I, nice way to raise money for kids. But then I read down to the fine print and it says:

“…with a maximum donation amount of USD $3 million from all sales of the Dottie in-game pet and plushie for charity.”

So what does that actually mean? Am I reading it wrong? Does it mean that if the toy sales reach USD$4 million, they get to keep USD$1 million? That the money people paid to them thinking it would go to help children will instead go into their pockets?

Really, am I reading that wrong?

EDIT: ok, settle down sports fans, I am not trying to be the Grinch of Christmas here. I just thought it seemed strange to say 100% goes to the kids and then say, wait no, 100% doesn’t go to the kids, some of it is likely to come to us. Why not just say all of it goes to the kids? Would that have been so terrible?

Anyway, feel free to abuse me for asking, free speech obviously does come witha cost.

141 Likes

It’s charity and you are all hate on it?

9 Likes

Settle down. It’s perfectly reasonable to question where one’s money is going.

141 Likes

Don’t be the poopyhead in the room. I said the idea of a chairty pet was a good one - I just want to know what it means.

31 Likes

Let me guess it was also you who made that other thread almost exactly like this 40 min ago.

9 Likes

Yup.

25 Likes

Wait… plushie?

Brb, going to the shop.

9 Likes

I think there’s something important we’re not talking about here.

There’s a Dottie plushie too?

34 Likes

Yea, I found that kinda weird too. They lose nothing by making digital pets. They even get tax writeoffs by donating everything to charity, so there’s no reason other than greed to cap the donations.

EDIT: Just for the record, To Our Knowledge Blizzard has never actually reached $3,000,000 with any Charity Pet, but putting a cap on it is still a sketchy thing to do.

I say to our knowledge because they never released the numbers for Whomper, which was the first charity pet to have a cap on donations. The closest they’ve come to $3,000,000 was Mischief at 2.5 Million.

86 Likes

I am sorry, wrong guess, I only got onto the forum 5 minutes ago and I frankly cant be fracked working through the list to see if its been raised already.

4 Likes

Ha that is amazing if you really want to support the make a wish charity I suggest donating directly to them instead.

52 Likes

It sounded very much like you, they were confused too.

1 Like

They state how much will be donated

5 Likes

Yes theres a Dottie plushie

Well that makes two of us then.

3 Likes

Do you ever give to charity or do you just doubt people who do?

8 Likes

After they say 100% will. Hence my confusion.

11 Likes

It’s not that confusing.

100% of proceeds up to 3 million.

17 Likes

Its okay to have a cap on charity.
If they have 3 million to donate then great.
Its better than 0 to charity.

23 Likes

What does that even mean?

3 Likes