Don't worry about bears getting crushing blows

Granted the template gear for the raid tests was pretty trash but healing a feral was very rough and flat out impossible on maulgar

My guilds had bear tanks. Crushes were only a problem if things were going sideways, or if it happened with some other big attack.

You prot warriors are getting desperate and spreading misinformation, rofl! It’s sad!

Yeah, I’m not the guy trying to make bears into better tanks than warriors. You talk about crushing blows and how much dmg bears take while ignoring everything else.

And block value is weak? WTF? When coupled with shield block ability it’s an absolute fundamental requirement to keep it up on hard hitting bosses.

And spell reflect? It’s additional survivability. That’s why we talk about it.

Like I said, years upon years of sweaty guilds pushing firsts, etc and warrior has maintained being MT for most guilds. There’s a reason why, I wonder what it is?

don;t forget multiple cooldowns, easier time maintaining uncrittable and uncrushable so you can stack more effective health or threat depending on what is needed… not robbing your biggest pumpers of spell damage gear… Abilities that require a block, not getting silenced, etc are all things that make warriors very important to still have.

sunder armour, demo shout, battle shout, thunderclap

And I like actions. It’s so draining to press the consecrate button and wait.

Anyway, all tanks are made equal this time. I do not think 10% DR could make a big difference. Even if the bear takes more damage, the healers are overhealing as always. Play whatever class you like, and be good at it.

1 Like

There’s so much misinformation in this thread. It reminds me of all the clueless noobs before Classic came out saying that Fury/Prot wasn’t viable because of crushing blows and crits and required you to really overgear the content… then people were Fury/Prot throughout ALL content.

2 Likes

Well classic vanilla was a joke. We got end of game abilities, gear and stats for the majority of it. In other words, it was severely nerfed to be an absolute joke in difficulty, and when you couple that with the world buff meta, which didn’t exist in vanilla BTW… Yeah going prot fury makes sense.

Will the same thing happen in TBC? I hope not, but from what I’ve seen of vanilla, who knows at this point.

That was literally never said

I’m not trying to make bears into better tanks than warriors lol. Each tank has it’s own strengths and weaknesses, and that’s determined by the game. All I’m saying is that using crushing blows to say that bears shouldn’t MT is a bad argument.

I know how warriors work. I MT’ed vanilla TBC as a warrior.

You could criticize bears for a lack of real defensive cooldowns. You could make other criticisms that properly address bears’ actually weaknesses. But using crushing blows and spell reflect? smh guy

As far as shield block value is concerned, I’d classify it as more of a threat stat more than anything else. 470 SBV is not going to save you. Even if the example warrior blocks he’s still taking more damage on a normal hit than the druid, and the druid is taking about 700 more damage than the warrior if he gets crushed compared to a warrior with block up, 15% of the time lol. Sure, it’s a difference but it’s not a tank killer.

this is basically any internet forum

1 Like

I mean if you’re a warrior who’s insecure about their tank spot, look no further than the pally above lol. THE PROT PALLIES ARE COMING FOR YOU OOGA BOOGA

2 Likes

Nice copium there. How do you account for Naxxramas, then, which WAS balanced for the talents and gear we have at the end? Y’know, that raid people STILL dual wield tank as Fury/Prot for?

By the way, Fury was the best spec for tanking in all of vanilla.

Prepare yourself for a rude awakening if you think Druids aren’t going to be good tanks because of crushing blows. You just don’t know what you’re talking about, and to anyone who DOES know what they’re talking about, it’s painfully obvious.

You’re either lying or ignorant.

In TBC they were already the MT, and there were basically no feral druids. Also, the stigma against “hybrids” was still in full effect throughout most of tbc.

I got so much vitriol for going enhance that it wasnt even funny. Didn’t matter that I was #1 dps, I should be casting heals. Hell, I recall on one fight I was second on healing AND DPS. Still not good enough!

You have to keep shield block up so you don’t die, but it doesn’t mitigate that much damage, lol. Warriors take crushing blows as well. Spell reflect isn’t all that useful in raids.

Bears will take more damage in t4, but since it’s a joke, who cares?

Fury prot warriors took far more damage than prot tanks too, but they were still predominantly the MT, because of threat. Bears have far better threat than warriors, and catch up fast with dmg mitigated. That’s jus T4 too, after that they just scale way higher. By SWP, you would be an utter fool to not have a druid MT.

2 Likes

Sure it’s a threat stat mainly because it’s so inferior to the other survivability stats, but it absolutely helps survive.

Comparing damage taken values when the bosses hit for ~2k doesn’t point the full point across. The hard hitting bosses all hit for much more than that. Make that same comparison when the tanks are getting hit for 6-9k.

Warriors take crushings about 1-2% of the time, and Paladins even less frequently than that. It’s a stark difference in comparison to the 15% that Bears take.

Damage intake was much more trivial in Vanilla than it was in TBC. TBC bosses have the capability to global full defensively-geared/played tanks. Vanilla bosses don’t.

A tank’s first job is to survive. The second job is to hold threat. Only then do increasing damage and/or reducing damage taken come into focus.

WUT???

The block value part of it doesn’t mitigate a whole lot of damage. The real benefit to pushing Shield Block against hard hitting bosses is that it removes crushing blows from the table. Its mitigation is primarily indirect.

An example -
A given raid boss hits for 6k on a Warrior.
A crushing from that raid boss will do 9k damage.
Pushing Shield Block (with 500 BV) will mitigate that 9k crush down to a 6k regular swing which became a 5500 blocked hit after BV was factored in.
The actual block value part of it only mitigated the hit down from 6k to 5500, which isn’t that big of a deal in comparison.

1 Like

All 3 tanks are great in TBC, they are just different flavors and have slightly different purposes. Since Fury/Prot probably won’t exist in TBC due to mobs not hitting like wet noddle anymore, Feral should be the best offtanks to have.