Don't worry about bears getting crushing blows

I love you Fasciae, but I think it’s just a miscommunication. This is now a positive thread where we talk about how much better bears are than everyone else. Please do not argue in my thread of light.

1 Like

/boggle

Holy crap you need to work on your communication skills. You can maintain 100% uptime on Ironshields and things like Devotion Aura and Mark of the Wild should be considered part of your overall Armor, not something you disregard. Inspiration/Ancestral Healing are the only things you need to worry about because they’re a proc, and even then you almost can’t help but keep getting Armor so it isn’t like you have a lot of options to swap to anyway.

1 Like

I don’t even know what I’m doing here tbh. I’m going moonkin lol.

MONTAGE

3 Likes

I certainly hope so. I still see old p-server guides floating around that attempt to show off tooltip Armor values that seemingly show 80%+ damage reduction as if that’s a laudable goal when you’re hard capped at 75%. Balancing our gear in TBC to keep from wasting item budget thanks to the hard cap is important and I don’t want people thinking that you can just throw on Mark of Tyranny and Badge of Tenacity and run around in 40k Armor like it means something :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m going to stop responding to this because I can’t have a discussion with someone who so grossly misrepresents what I say.

This has nothing to do with soft caps, please look into what a soft cap is first. You can have a soft cap and a hard cap on something. They are not mutually exclusive.

I gave an example of a gear choice you will most certainly make in TBC. A staff with high armor vs a staff with lower armor (or none) but vastly better threat and damage stats. If you are above the armor soft cap (that is, equipping the staff puts you over 75% with Ironshield and Inspiration), you are probably going to choose the increased threat and damage.

I never said that, go back and read it. Armor doesn’t stop at 75%, it stops being effective at 75%. Its easy to go over 75% armor mitigation. That’s why you adhere to the soft cap. The soft cap gets even lower with level.

You are playing around a soft cap in this statement lol it actually amazes me how hard some people argue on the internet just to feel better or something… :weary: :weary:

This doesn’t surprise me, as most information from “reliable sources” comes straight from theorycrafters on the druid discord. Like the seventyupgrades stat weights for each phase.

I still highly suggest anyone join if you are interested in learning more about how the druid class works.

Have a nice evening and enjoy TBC.

2 Likes

Armor mit stops at 75%.

Druids are super easy to hit close to/over that mitigation without much help… Thus you need to be careful about your gearing and when you’re close to 75% try to keep that high armor value as you can and swap to more threat based items at the same time.

Summarized, and over.

Pewpew and less QQ boys.

1 Like

You have NO IDEA what you are talking about, stop talking.

Ya, my guild got to felmyst and our tanks were warrior and bear through all of t5 and t6

1 Like

I’ve already established this.

In which you’re still making a silly argument because you’re more likely to be swapping out of an Armor ring for a DPS oriented one, or a leather piece with bonus armor for one without.

/headdesk

Learn.
To.
Communicate.
Better.

Armor stopping at 75% in no way means the literal Armor value you can accrue stops going up.

What? The amount of armor needed to hit 75% reduction goes up the higher the enemy you face.

• 70, you need 31,672
  • 71, you need 33,075
  • 72, you need 34,477
  • 73, you need 35,880

So if you’re up against a TBC raid boss, and you want to know what your soft-cap is for Armor when not adding in Ironshield Potions and Inspiration, you need 26,204 Armor on the dot (which would include all other buffs that either grant Agility or more bonus Armor).

So like I said, nothing special happens at 28k Armor, you’re already over the soft-cap if you’re not counting Ironshield as a baseline.

Because Armor contributes to EH, along with Stamina, so when increasing your EH you need to transition from Armor to Stamina when needing to improve your EH for a particular fight like Brutallus or Morogrim.

/heavy-sigh

The Druid discord regularly makes me laugh because it is regularly misinformed and goes off the rails in terms of suggestions and whatever attempt many of the posters there do while trying to theorycraft. Even Discords that were better initially like Fight Club have gone off the rails, and I really only use them to snag a few incontrovertible things like proc rates and the rest of the time I just ignore them because they’re wrong.

Stat weights, like those suggested on SeventyUpgrades, are poor because they aren’t dynamic, which is why they shouldn’t be relied upon. In Vanilla this was less of an issue because you just couldn’t fine-tune your gear much with so many limited choices, but with the abundance of sockets in TBC and our choice of stats, those tuning parameters matter a lot and need to dynamically update.

I have an item named for me in-game thanks to my theorycrafting and community contributions during actual TBC, Wrath, Cata, and onward. I’ll pass on being “taught” how to play by those that don’t know how.

This.

1 Like

You ever try to crush a bear IRL? Even the smallest ones easily outweigh you by 200 pounds.

5 Likes

Just a minor note on Crushing Blows. It isn’t a 15% flat chance of a crush because of the single attack table mechanic. Crushing blows actually become 100% if the tank has 85% total avoidance. Crushes are the last hit type to be pushed off the table.

2 Likes

Stated more accurately: If you have 85% total Avoidance, the remaining 15% will absolutely be Crushing Blows, but you’ll still only see 15% of the incoming swings be Crushing Blows.

Diminishing returns are irrelevant if the druid with 25,000 armor is armor capped at 75% phys damage reduction from attacks.

Yeah…

Bears somehow forget about shield block, spell reflect, last stand, shield wall and block rating.
Years and years of tryhards sweating over wow and warrior was still the MT chosen. There’s a reason.

Maybe they were just stupid? Unique tanking weapons maybe?

Why would I talk about stuff like spell reflect when discussing crushing blows?

I also did talk about block value, and it’s pretty weak as a survival stat for boss fights.

You also don’t know how armor works.

You’re a goon lol.

2 Likes

Those crushes will oom your healers FAST. GL with it

We had a Bear all through to Sunwell. Do people still think bears cant be the tank??

2 Likes

Bears are awesome in Sunwell because from that point on in the game bosses can’t crush

Worth noting that a geared feral tank in TBC has about 70% or more dodge rating by the time Sunwell rolls around. They have so much dodge that they gave boss encounters in Sunwell a debuff to dodge chance.

Granted bears do take more overall damage (not solely based on the crush mechanic but also because of both lack of parry and block), but we’re not ooming healers. When I was a healer I actually preferred healing ferals for many fights just because of how thicc they were.

I don’t think it’ll be much of a concern as time goes on. The game won’t be as overtuned as pservers, and my guess is that the meta will naturally progress into what tank can produce the most threat for any particular fight (kind of like now). Even with salv/shatter/all that other stuff I think DPS will be hitting a threat ceiling.

I think it’s too soon to tell. For all I know maybe fury prot will rear it’s ugly head again lol. Who knows if imp EA rogues will be a thing. We’ll just have to wait and see. All I know is that this time around won’t be like last time around. Kungen is probably a grandpa by now lol.