Dont Nerf Sapphiron

You mean the giant tentacle being in the stomach? Clearly that shouldn’t have been happening. I mean numerically unnerfed, not give him back his bugs.

That was one of the bugs of the original C’thun yes.

Others include tentacles spawning outside of LOS and unstoppably mind flaying people for the rest of the encounter.

2 Likes

do you happen to know if cthun received a health nerf or anything like that?

They fixed the bugs and slowed down the rate of tentacle spawns, no health nerf IIRC.

After the fix he died immediately to a ton of guilds.

1 Like

Well, in that case the tentacle spawn rate was a good dps check then I would assume, which most guilds back then could not meet. The glitches were likely the biggest issue with cthun. Anyhow, this thread is supposed to be about sapphiron, so Im not gonna continue this.

Thanks, we really appreciate the detailed information!

While we’ve got you guys, has there been any investigation into Patchwerk’s Hateful strike timing and batching?

Thread: Patchwerk is casting hateful strike every 1.6 instead of 1.2 seconds

1 Like

I was having a blast reading this post up until he said they’re changing it to every 2 seconds. :frowning: What a let down. What a huge let down.

3 Likes

Did you really think they were going to release a version of the boss that does literally 100% more damage than the boss everyone did in 2006?

6 Likes

'nuf said :slight_smile:

1 Like

We’re more than 100% stronger than we were back then. Plus, it was the original design so, yeah I thought we’d get to actually see something fixed! Plus they’re going in a new direction with changing bugs that existed back then.

But they’re changing this rather than fixing a bug. They could have monitored the situation and nerfed it if necessary. Especially if they’re getting more funding for classic development, it’s kind of a rushed decision.

1 Like

No we’re not, we’re at the exact same power we were when this content was released. Unlike earlier raids people can’t even complain that we’re more powerful than intended.

2 Likes

With all the min-maxing that’s been done over the years, he’s probably not far off. Theoretically, this could have been achieved in 2006, the knowledge just wasn’t there. Modern day gear optimizing, raid comp optimization, world buff usage, and strat perfecting has lead to raids being substantially stronger than their vanilla counterparts were going into naxx despite the client being almost identicle.

90% of the strength of that is world buff stacking that didn’t really happen in 2006 to anywhere near the same extent.

1 Like

Maybe for the speed running, but not overall. My raid in my guild isn’t a speed run raid or anything, but we did AQ40 in 2:44 without world buffs. I can only imagine that the top guilds would still blast through AQ40 in under an hour even without the world buffs.

Follow the intent, because the game is better that way.

6 Likes

That’s unclear, since the feedback that the Classic team got from the original developer was that he intended the aura to tick every second. Of course if the boss was unkillable it would have been nerfed, but I am confident that top end vanilla guilds could have killed it in the 600 DTPS state. Remember that these guilds had spent many weeks in the instance before even starting Sapphiron progression and would have farmed out full epic frost resistance sets for their raid.

100% agree, Classic would have been much better off it was based around original intent rather than direct replication of mechanics. We wouldn’t have world buffs, the content would have been retuned to match end-of-vanilla itemization and talents to provide similar challenge to what raiders back then experienced, egregious bugs that would definitely have been fixed back then if discovered would have been corrected, etc.

4 Likes

Any word on the bug where people continue to take aura damage while in an ice block during Air Phase? They should be “immune”. Makes it difficult to keep people alive if they take damage while in the block since they can’t be healed by direct spells(only via something like Prayer of Healing or totems)

Or double hateful strikes on Patchwerk?

Exactly. At damage every 1 second, this fight would require progression and earning frost resist gear. Now? It’ll be killed within 2 hours at most, with a raid with near 0 frost resist. There’s no way that’s closer to original intent.

This was a feel good nerf because they’re afraid of “gating” a certain % of people.

1 Like

Could an alternate solution be to buff its damage by 5-10% while keeping it at 2 seconds ?