Does this get better?

I never played the Horde’s BfA story, I think I made it about 30 seconds into Nathanos’ appearance in the first quest before deciding it was not for me. And don’t get me wrong, there was plenty wrong Alliance side that made me drop the game. However, now that Zandalari laser dinos are available and Nathanos is de-available, I figured I would go back and actually do the war campaign on a new character to acquire the Zandalari.

The only problem here is that everyone is awful. And I’m not even talking about Nathanos, I’m talking about the people who have little dialogue boxes you can click on which, with almost disturbing self-awareness, explain why decent people should not be doing the things they are about to do.

Rexxar was the first shock, when he sent me to kill “Kul-Tiran Invaders” on… <checks map> Kul Tiras. His dialogue box explains that he loves the Horde and will defend everyone in it to his last breath, but for some reason can’t understand why Jaina Proudmoore isn’t ready to forget what happened to Theramore. Fair enough, Alliance are the enemy, but the very next quest he gave me pondered whether peons were worth saving at all, before deciding that the Horde would probably need their labor later on.

Then there’s an old friend, Lilian Voss. Honestly, her conception is pretty good: trying to avert the most painful parts of reanimation, welcoming new arrivals into undeath, etc. She told me that she was more or less forced into this job and is making the best of it. The problem is she’s just a nasty person. She literally told me, the last quest she sent me on, that she “Enjoys the screams” in the air. We’re currently talking to this tidesage guy who is asking very reasonable and polite questions considering the circumstances, while she constantly peppers him with threats to him and his family in between moaning about how useless he is that he isn’t immediately doing her bidding.

We haven’t even really gotten to the content of the quests yet. Which, if it’s been a while, are an impressively rapid speedrun of the Geneva convention. I almost had to laugh when, on the one quest which had no Alliance enemies giving no opportunities for war crimes, I ran over an invasion world quest where in Lady Liadrin, paragon of the Light, demanded that I assassinate someone who was clearly labeled as a medic and in the process of tending to fallen soldiers, before he “rallied the Alliance forces.”

It’s this bizarre limbo of perfect self-awareness and complete lack of self-awareness. I’m honestly struggling to believe that a human wrote these quests, and they weren’t procedurally generated by some sort of zug-zug bot that was only fed Garrosh voicelines.

Literally everyone I meet whom I do not suspect of thievery from Sylvanas’ clothes drawer has a little dialogue explaining why they should know better than to do what they are doing before they enthusiastically do it. It’s like being calmly explained to by a train conductor that the train is about to crash if no one pulls the handbrake right next to him, and then he starts laughing maniacally while shooting everyone who walks up to pull it.

Is there… any payoff here? Any redemptive quality that will become apparent at some point? If it was just quest text I could get through it but most of these are fully voiced and it’s honestly getting kind of hard to will myself through listening to this.

I just want to be a laser Pterrodax :frowning:

18 Likes

ive got terrible news for you

22 Likes

The Horde war campaign made me transfer nearly all of my characters to Alliance.

9 Likes

Silly tauren, there’s no geneva convention on Azeroth!

It…sort of gets better? After half (or more) of the story involving you war criming your way across the land, there’s a single event about the fate of one person that they just introduced five minutes prior that makes half the cast develop morals and then you get to decide whether to side with them or if you’d you’d rather continue twirling your moustache and and monologueing.

Don’t worry, if you choose the second option you find out later that your choice doesn’t matter and you actually picked the first option.

17 Likes

I thought Zelling’s little arc was a good part of the Horde side war campaign. But overall it is not great, especially the totally out of character inclusion of Rexxar and Voss as Sylvanas lackeys which you mentioned.

And at one point you have like a Scooby doo episode with Gallywix and Eitrigg, with Eitrigg in the role of cowardly great dane? I’m pretty sure that happened.

19 Likes

the horde war campaign essentially executed RPing horde-aligned characters for me. it laid bare the fact that the horde is just ok with war crimes from top to bottom. i can no longer RP characters who are horde-aligned, now they’re all either neutral or civilians, because i’m not interested in RPing a stooge or a monster.

uh, so, sorry. no. it does not get better.

9 Likes

Given how Blizzard decided it cant let Horde have nice things, no, unfortunately the War Campaign does not get better and you have to muscle through it to unlock Zandalari.

That said, unlike some fringe groups it gets better for 1 precise reason… it ends and the dirt laundry is well and truly taken out for the most part.

2 Likes

I’ve found it extremely difficult to RP Horde-loyal characters for a while now and BFA was the final straw. Though all my active characters are Horde races, none of them actually wear the colors.

3 Likes

I think the Horde BfA war campaign story is terrible but the actual Horde zones themselves were spectacular.

Probably because it had nothing to do with the BfA war campaign story.

The Alliance one is terrible, too, but for different reasons.

22 Likes

yeah, that’s how i roll. i have two vulpera and ones a civilian and ones an Ebon Blade.

also see you all in 200 posts

5 Likes

It gets better in that you can finish it and move on or not do it and move on.

The choice is yours! Just quit before you get to Brennadam, trust me.

Oh, wait…

What’s a Brennadan

Just kidding I’ve also played alliance.

To this day, I’ve still not done that since I unlocked Zandas and was like “Sweet, now to do the same thing Alliance side cause the zone achieves apparently carried over.”

No.

Not really.

You can turn off voiced dialogue in your system menu; I do that at times when I’m about to spend time with dialogue that I know bothers me, that’s getting really repetitive after a few run-throughs, or that is Nathanos’s lines in Seething Shore.

I don’t even remember how long it is, so I hesitate to tell you it’ll be over soon. But Mag’har, I think, only require the first segment to be completed.

I don’t recall the Zandalari unlock having anything to do with the war campaign though. Was it not just Zandalar story achievements?

3 Likes

You have to finish the War Campaign and all the Zandalar zones now.

Whyyyyyyyyyy.

Only redeeming quality of the storyline for unlocking the Zandalari is that Talanji is smart enough to flat out refuse letting Sylvanas have authority on Zandalar. (which occurs for pretty obvious reasons)

Mag’har require only the first portion of things and ‘Ready for War’ achiev to unlock.

4 Likes

Because how else will you know the glory of the Horde™.

To be fair, technically you don’t have to continue the campaign past the Zandalar siege arc but that’s basically the entirety of the campaign and then the Rebellion Boogaloo stuff is just like one chapter long.

Hello yes I would like a refund, I ordered a Glory of the Horde but when I opened it I only got genocide and war crimes.

13 Likes

I completely forgot about the Wacky Adventures of Eitrigg and Gallywix in Drustvar. I was really hoping Gallywix might actually develop some morals and become a “good guy” and do the right thing.

Silly me for thinking Blizz would do something satisfying

2 Likes