Does the $6.99 GamePass mean P2W is coming?

I have always been skeptical of MS for its skechy business practices, starting with buying out Sega Dreamcast just to remove it as competition. I have also not had much confidence in its ability to publish any games. All the great AAA titles are created elsewhere, and just brought into MS/XBOX’s orbit as exclusives.

I’ve seen some of MS’s titles become very pay to win. I can’t imagine their executives would give former act/blizzard titles a pass on their monthly dues to keep GamePass cheap. I know there will be a huge backlash here if/when that happens. I hope that will at least delay the introduction of player power being added to the in-game store, and therby delaying the demise of the game we all love.

3 Likes

The Game Pass does not mean Pay2Win.

And just because Microsoft bought Activision-Blizzard, doesn’t mean Microsoft is going to be the one developing World of Warcraft, it will still be Blizzard developing WoW.

32 Likes

People are vastly overestimating how much WoW is going to be affected by all this.

Especially in the near future.

40 Likes

That’s what everyone said when Activision bought Blizzard. We saw the results of their meddling.

You think act-blizzard shareholders will be happy that their montly sub got cut in half or microsoft shareholders will be happy to know they won’t be getting return on their $68B purchase? They will want to know how they will begin getting repaid for this.

6 Likes

We don’t even know IF WoW will be on the Gamepass honestly. I may be wrong, but I don’t think there are any PC only games on the Gamepass, and the vast majority on Xbox Gamepass are cross platform between PC and Xbox.

So the IF it goes to Gamepass likely rests on whether or not they want to pay a new set of developers to port it over to Xbox. Once that happens, THEN we can start worrying about this.

1 Like

Let’s use Forza Hirozon titles for example, then repeat your statement to me.

Maybe they’ll add flying and rep to the store lul. At this point I’d prefer that to how Blizzard has handled them the last few expacs.

7 Likes

How is this sketchy

2 Likes

Activision never bought Blizzard. Vivendi, Blizzard’s parent company, bought Activision in 2007 and merged them into Activision-Blizzard.

10 Likes

There’s zero indication this will ever be a thing. And zero indication that WoW will even be on GamePass.

6 Likes

Anti-competive practices aren’t just sketchy, they are are in most cases illegal and antithetical to our economy. Competition keeps prices low and variety of quality products high.

2 Likes

I don’t think ESO is, and that’s under Microsoft. MMOs are profitable in their own right. At best they’ll be giving out month passes with a purchase as a trial thing or give a discount to WoW.

2 Likes

They did say something like “all games that can be put on gamepass from the catalogue of Acti-Blizz games will be added”. So it seems like it could be. I’m sure it’ll be the same though. I use Wowup for my addons now and not Twitch. Before that I used Twitch instead of the Curse client. I imagine it’ll be much the same.

Sure, that can be. But that doesn’t necessarily mean WoW. Especially given that ESO works off of its own launcher. It’s also something we don’t even need to concern ourselves with for over a year.

3 Likes

For every title you put up that doesn’t yet have P2W, I can add 10 from Microsoft’s library that does.

The fact is, this is a B2P + Sub business model game. It’s going to become a simple B2P game, since the GamePass already supports other games. Yes, we will still have to get the PC GamePass each month, but we’re not adding any value to the shareholders.

That’s nice. But I gave you an example of a company that was acquired by Microsoft that runs an MMORPG like WoW and still has its own launcher with its own sub. You can continue to doomsay all you want, but I’m simply giving you information to use as you will.

9 Likes

Your point?
They still report to Activision

As a team, we are on a mission to extend the joy and community of gaming to everyone on the planet. We all know that gaming is the most vibrant and dynamic form of entertainment worldwide and we’ve experienced the power of social connection and friendship that gaming makes possible.

As we pursue that mission, it is incredibly exciting to announce that Microsoft has agreed to acquire Activision Blizzard.

Over many decades, the studios and teams that make up Activision Blizzard have earned vast wellsprings of joy and respect from billions of people all over the world. We are incredibly excited to have the chance to work with the amazing, talented, dedicated people across Activision Publishing, Blizzard Entertainment, Beenox, Demonware, Digital Legends, High Moon Studios, Infinity Ward, King, Major League Gaming, Radical Entertainment, Raven Software, Sledgehammer Games, Toys for Bob, Treyarch and every team across Activision Blizzard.

Until this transaction closes, Activision Blizzard and Microsoft Gaming will continue to operate independently. Once the deal is complete, the Activision Blizzard business will report to me as CEO, Microsoft Gaming.

Upon close, we will offer as many Activision Blizzard games as we can within Xbox Game Pass and PC Game Pass, both new titles and games from Activision Blizzard’s incredible catalog. We also announced today that Game Pass now has more than 25 million subscribers. As always, we look forward to continuing to add more value and more great games to Game Pass.

The fantastic franchises across Activision Blizzard will also accelerate our plans for Cloud Gaming, allowing more people in more places around the world to participate in the Xbox community using phones, tablets, laptops and other devices you already own. Activision Blizzard games are enjoyed on a variety of platforms and we plan to continue to support those communities moving forward.

As a company, Microsoft is committed to our journey for inclusion in every aspect of gaming, among both employees and players. We deeply value individual studio cultures. We also believe that creative success and autonomy go hand-in-hand with treating every person with dignity and respect. We hold all teams, and all leaders, to this commitment. We’re looking forward to extending our culture of proactive inclusion to the great teams across Activision Blizzard.

Around the world, there is no more exciting venue for fun and connection than video games. And there has never been a better time to play than right now. As we extend the joy and community of gaming to everyone, we look forward to welcoming all of our friends at Activision Blizzard to Microsoft Gaming.

https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/63684-official-microsoft-and-activision-blizzard-announcements-on-acquisition/

I thought P2W has been here for awhile now?

11 Likes

However, they’ll be treated better than others and there will be change within the company. Steve Danuser could be released soon under Microsoft. I hope…

1 Like