Does Arthas deserve a "happy" ending?

You’re condemning what Arthas did to Sylvanas as if he hadn’t had his soul stolen/twisted by an evil weapon.

I don’t get it. People are less bothered by what Vader, Griffith, and DIO have done, and their characters have more agency than Arthas.

There’s plenty to dislike human Arthas over, but undead Arthas is essentially a different man.

As for Sylvanas, yes; there are those who hate her more, or exclusively because she’s a woman. But it doesn’t help that she’s such a massive hypocrite. Everything that’s happened to her, or that she hates, she does regularly to others, will little to no self awareness.

I hate people like that. I can’t tell if it’s intended to be a character flaw, or the writers’ flaw. At least with Arthas we can debate on what type of villain he is.

We’re still debating whether or not Sylvanas is a villain.

6 Likes

Even Vader/Anakin got a redemption in the end.
I’m unfamiliar with the other two you listed.

I think a lot of people whom others are claiming want to see Arthas in the Maw aren’t actually saying that at all. I think some or most of those people have already made clear they want to see Arthas in Revendreth.

The point of contention hasn’t been where does Arthas go, but rather which one was worse; Arthas or Sylvanas. And the default assumption of those arguing Sylvanas is worse, is that if you’re saying Arthas is worse, you must want him to go to the Maw.

But no, scrolling through, only a small number of people have said Arthas should go to the Maw when the expac ends.

I even think that sylvanas reached a point in which case she was definitly worst then arthas…by condeming an entire Universe to the fate of her own…the fate she want to avoid at all costs…but we reached a point in which all of this is …seemingless…because i no longer care…she will still be a focus…maybe even tyrande will forgive her by force of the wroter…its no longer a story i care about…sylvanas is…for me…a reason no longer to play wow because wow devs refuse to give this plot the proper meaning.

2 Likes

Oh my god. Sylvanas is the Karen of wow.

The game has evolved into World of Sylvanascraft now.
Maybe we will live long enough to get Jainacraft.

1 Like

For my money, Arthas is a worse person, but Sylvanas has done worse things.

Mostly because Arthas never had the chance to huck people into SuperHell to accomplish his goals, because he 100% would have done it.

9 Likes

i would hate this aswell…

Afro Samurai, but as a salami. Yet another idea for a more interesting Final Boss than The Jailer.

9 Likes

Is this why we are Maw Walkers? :open_mouth:

Not when those answers came from Afrasiabi and Metzen. Obviously neither are coming back to being in charge of the story, and haven’t been for a while now.

1 Like

I’m founding my opinion of Arthas based on the fact that the lore has told us time and time again that he wrestled with his own humanity (much like Sylvanas is currently choosing in the new cinematic) and he chose willingly to kill the innocent part of himself that still clung to hope. By WoLK Arthas had fully accepted and resolved to become the most evil version of himself. He was redeemable up to that point, but he made his choice.

Sylvanas seems to have chosen differently.

That’s all I’m saying.

6 Likes

What are you suggesting?

2 Likes

this choise was made after he took frostmourne and his soul was stolen at this moment…so, his own agenda - with the new lore - ends at the point he took frostmourne.

to listen to more current lore instead of a n message from 12 years ago.

1 Like

I am suggesting that given Pelagos’ statements about Arthas in 9.1 and Pelagos becoming the Arbiter in 9.2 the current CDevs have different views than the previous CDevs, quotes from which probably are no longer relevant any more.

1 Like

Sylvanas has Uther to guide her. If it wasn’t for him, they said she would never awaken from her nightmare coma. If left alone, it’s possible her Banshee Queen side would have defeated her Ranger General side. Arthas, unfortunately had no such help.

1 Like

The point is, Athas chose to grab Frostmourne.

Sylvanas never chose to be raised as a banshee and serve Arthas.

One had free will in a choice the other didn’t. They are not comparable.

Uther did try to offer Arthas guidance and Arthas refused and killed him.

5 Likes

She chose to be raised as a banshee when she saw how the scourge operates and decided to powerslide into frostmourne. Retreating was also an option.

Living Uther wouldn’t be able to guide Arthas on his split soul though… Arthas killing him(thus spiltting his soul) is what made him be able to help Sylvanas.

Even the new arbiter stuff right? Pelagos may have said arthas deserves to be judged. He never said arthas was any less evil for the actions he did.

The only people actually defending him are the people on this forum, which is just weird

5 Likes