Does anybody else not talk in Wow anymore? Scared of being Offensive?

Looks in post and sees swear

You know what that means!
Shakes swear jar :jar:

10 gold pay up!

1 Like

Why I got suspended with the source being “<3 thanks to all veterans out there.”

1 Like

If people don’t like you, for whatever reason, they can easily abuse the system and the measures to counter it are almost non-existent.

4 Likes

Take it to a deeper level. Treating others they way you wish to be treated can also mean you would want people to try and understand your needs and treat you accordingly. Within reason, as best they could. You may like chocolate ice cream, but you know your gf does not. So when you’re buying ice cream you buy something she would like too instead of buying what you would want. That’s the essence of the golden rule.

1 Like

regarding the swearing, is the mature language filter not working?

1 Like

WoW has never allowed profanity or masked profanity in the game. The language filter has never been an excuse to break the rules either. It exists for parents to protect kids and such from people who can’t follow rules. It does not mean you can break the rules yourself just because it exists.

Blizz has had to remind folks of that since the game released.

Mature Language Filter (aka The Profanity Filter)

• This can be activated within your Interface Options: Main menu (ESC key by default) Click Interface > Social and check - Mature Language Filter.

• Once enabled, all inappropriate words in our profanity database will be filtered and masked to appear as jumbled characters, such as ‘*##@&’.

Note: The filter does not excuse the language used. The filter serves as a temporary shield, to help parents of minors and others who do not wish to see it, to block it. Our policies prohibit the use of both clear and masked inappropriate language.

:point_up:

3 Likes

My question about that is, (sorry for jumping in here), does that include the less cursey versions of words? I dare not give examples lest they are banned as well, I hope you can understand what I mean without saying them lol. Though, I may have answered my own question since I am wary of using them.

If you have to ask, best not to do it. I remember that advice very very well growing up. Heh. I got old and still remember it.

Also keep in mind, that what you say is not monitored in real time or anything. In public chat channels and groups people are more likely to report, and Blizzard is more likely to action.

In private groups with your friends who share your humor you are not going to get reported, unless they really are not your friends or you really cross a line. At will private groups is not the same as the general strangers population.

4 Likes

I think I’ve reported one player in all the years I’ve played WoW. They were spamming trade chat for almost an hour with blatant, over-the-top, racist and violent comments. Someone said they were known troll just trying to get reactions, but even I felt like that was too much. Otherwise, yeah, I just use ignore and don’t see them again.

There should be a ignore button and block…That’s it…Problem solved if you don’t want to see profanity and other such…All this other BS…is unnecessary. This game is too extreme…I think it needs a helmet… :grin: But…Will continue to be silent in the game…Do a few quests…Watch a movie on the side and move just a little bit lol.

1 Like

You are complaining about rules that have been in place since 2004 when WoW released. It is easier to report now than it was then, but the core rules are pretty much the same.

I tracked down the 2004 TOS a while ago to compare, just to help folks see that.

Original User Manual from 2004 https://bnetcmsus-a.akamaihd.net/cms/template_resource/LO0VQ46XB1281555957773363.pdf - which has the EULA at the end. It points to the requirements for accepting Terms of Use with the website for it. I selected the first archived Wayback Machine TOU for WoW from 2004. I have copied out the relevant sections for you. Yes, it included hateful names and speech as well as profanity, masked profanity, spam, etc.

https://web.archive.org/web/20041217101250/http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/legal/termsofuse.shtml

3. World of Warcraft Rules of Conduct.
As with all things, World of Warcraft is governed by certain rules of conduct that must be adhered to by all users of World of Warcraft. It is your responsibility to know, understand and abide by these rules of conduct. The following rules are not meant to be “exhaustive,” and Blizzard Entertainment reserves the right to determine what conduct it considers to be outside the spirit of the game and to take such disciplinary measures as it sees fit. Blizzard Entertainment reserves the right to add to or amend this list of rules at any time, and you are responsible for checking these Terms of Use for any newly amended or posted rules each time that you log on.

B. Rules Related to “Chat” and Interaction With Other Users.

Communicating with other Users and Blizzard Entertainment representatives is an integral part of World of Warcraft and is referred to in this document as “Chat.” Your Chats may be subject to review, modification, and deletion without notice by Blizzard Entertainment. Additionally, you hereby acknowledge that Blizzard Entertainment is under no obligation to monitor Chat and you engage in Chat at your own risk. When engaging in Chat in World of Warcraft, or otherwise utilizing World of Warcraft, you may not:

• (i) Transmit or post sexually explicit images or other content or language which in the sole discretion of Blizzard Entertainment is deemed to be offensive; nor shall you transmit any unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable content or language, nor may you use a misspelling or an alternative spelling to circumvent the content and language restrictions listed above; :point_left:
  • (ii) Carry out any action with a disruptive effect, such as cause the Chat screen to “scroll” faster than other users are able to type to it, including setting up macros with large amounts of text that, when used, can have a disruptive effect on the normal flow of Chat;
  • (iii) Disrupt the normal flow of dialogue in Chat or otherwise act in a manner that negatively affects other users, individuals or entities, including, but not limited to, posting “Spam” messages on World of Warcraft (“Spam” messages as used in this document include, but are not limited to, any effort to use a computer or other electronic device to post an unauthorized and/or unsolicited advertisement to World of Warcraft);
  • (iv) “Spam” by posting or sending more than one unsolicited message or piece of mail to a single address or in a chat area;
  • (v) Communicate or post any user’s personal information in or on the World of Warcraft, or websites or forums related to World of Warcraft;
  • (vi) Use bots or other automated techniques to collect information or communicate or post any user’s personal information in or on World of Warcraft, or websites or forums related to World of Warcraft or Blizzard Entertainment
  • (vii) Harass, threaten, stalk, embarrass or cause distress, unwanted attention or discomfort to another user of World of Warcraft or other person or entity; or :point_left:
  • (viii) Cheat during game play, including but not limited to modification of the game program files.
  • (ix) Participate in any action that, in the opinion of Blizzard Entertainment results in an authorized user of World of Warcraft being "scammed " or ‘defrauded’ out of gold, weapons, armor, or any other items that he/she has earned through authorized game play in World of Warcraft.

The naming policy then was even more strict than it is now. I can post that too if you wish for comparison.

2 Likes

No problem talking for me. I usually load in a pre-written greeting for PuGs that goes something like:

Greetings fellow adventurers! I’ll be your healer today. For your safety and convenience please keep you eyes, hands, nose, feet and other extraneous parts out of the bad things being flung on the ground. We’ll be following that walking health shield known as a tank to our final destination, with possible periodic stops for mana along the way. Please refrain from angering extra mobs if possible and allow said tank to punch things in faces before you offload your damage abilities. All other actions make the monsters eat my face which is sad and I usually die. Thanks for flying with us on PuG Air.

I have a couple others written too. They’re decent icebreakers and it usually starts a little round of friendly banter.

Other than that - being on an RP server, it’s part and parcel to be sociable in the game to help others maintain immersion. I don’t participate in city trade chat ever. Haven’t since TBC that I can recall. No time for that nonsense.

6 Likes

So…And…Still…

I’ve been very quiet lately. I got slapped with the silence hammer for planning a BG lol.

1 Like

I do have an Alliance Warlock with a … less cursey… name.

I got silenced for typing /pet to someone’s non combat pet. They RP their pet as shy, and I ruined their immersion.

(that didn’t happen)

2 Likes

I talk wow so they leave me alone

I think for the most part you’d have to say something really REALLY bad to get reported.

Most people still goof around and talk smack.

If you’re being overtly racist, sexist or homophobic then I can see a report being warranted. But if you’re a chill person just having fun then you should be fine.

As long as your fun isn’t at someone else’s expense. And if it is, you should stop when they ask you too. Take hints, recognize that people have different levels of tolerance for smack talk/trolling and read the room. Adjust accordingly and you should be fine.

2 Likes

^^^^ This.

First you type something in to chat, then it tells you the chat cant handle the message because there are too many people replying ( and there is like 3 people in Valdrakken square). Then your framerate plummets and you get repeat drops ( IE 30 cloaks in Emerald dream)
Yah , I wonder why nobody chats…

I’ll usually talk if I am asking about someone’s experience with a quest I can’t figure out locations or respawns of.

Beyond that, I don’t give half a crap what people want to just chat about since I am playing WoW as a single-player game until I am doing a dungeon or a raid.

I’m usually focusing on quests, and if it’s post-quest time (when we start doing dailies), I am probably listening to podcasts and again, don’t care about what other people want to chat about. I was done with that back in Barrens Chat.