Does any Alliance player feel cheated by the ARs?

I’m only still playing because the guild I’m in is rad.

Low stakes PvP and dungeon running is really good stress relief for me, and for some reason -gestures at everything-, I’ve been stressed a lot lately.

Then have some fun and make a High Elf topic in the council subforum about the situation, the people here and when the people will get their EE-glyph and race title!

1 Like

I’m not particularly stressed that much.

I’m super annoyed and in a lot of pain.

They made us take all in person classes this semester but did remote the first few weeks. I’m annoyed because I live with immunocompromised people and am out there getting exposed to COVID.

I’m in pain because campus is huge, my leg muscles are out of shape because COVID and disabilities. It’s also spread to my back.

Also they finally successfully diagnosed the osteoarthritis I developed in 1995 about two weeks ago. It’s only been 27 years of pain.

The person that runs the pride center was surprised I didn’t have a placard because of my mobility problems.

So I screeched at my doctor via my patient portal and said I wanted a temp placard while dealing with whatever treatment steps come next (like physical therapy) so I can park closer to the classrooms.

The doctor said to print and fill out the form for the placard and bring it with me this friday. They didn’t say they wouldn’t sign it. Which is good.

1 Like

I seem to recall a Blizzcon where what would become AR were originally announced as custom options. I’m not really sure what purpose it serves to have them require unlocking, because new and returning players have to level a character they don’t like just so they can get to the one that they do.

Personally, I like my Mechagnome, but I’ll never accept that Vulpera are the Goblin equivalent. Horde got a new race. All the other AR are variations of existing races. That’s what bothered me, especially considering Vulpera released at a time Gilgoblins played a part in the BFA story like Mechagnomes.

1 Like

HM and NB had nothing, and still aren’t popular even with the updates. VE now have more skin colors and face options than BE, a core race, and the same number of hair colors.

Most of us want more customizations for the races we play, and many of us want specific customizations that would push things over the top in our eyes. We’re probably never going to get them.

3 Likes

I wish more allied races were like the vulpera-- used a similar rig to do something fresh and creative. I think Zandalari and Nightboure (only /recently/) succeeded at being as fresh on the horde side.

Dark iron dwarves I think were successful on alliance side. Velves are just straight up blood elves and I don’t love how they aren’t different enough.

4 Likes

Yeah, would’ve been nice if they did some more Vulpera like releases. Another thing I would’ve enjoyed is if they had used it to do more race swaps like they did with Velves and Nightborne like had Highmountain go Alliance and Dark Iron go Horde. Guess it doesn’t really matter with crossfaction on the way.

1 Like

I thought the same thing, because I thought it was cool that they were doing it with the elves.

Mechagnomes seemed to like the horde better, and dark iron also seem like a better fit for horde.

But cross faction just solves everything. Nobody has to be mad anymore about unimportant limitations.

Jealous? Why? They make wonderful throw rugs.

1 Like

I’m just fingers crossed this is the last big rodeo.

It’s been a rough few years to be an EMT.

1 Like

This is going to sound bad but I just imagined EMTs riding around on broncos instead of an ambulance because of the last rodeo comment.

2 Likes

I think it’s more alt fatigue than anything. By that time I had so many Elves, Humans, Gnomes, Cows, and Trolls to keep up with that adding more just didn’t appeal to me. Maybe if Monks were more compelling it would help. Which is why ARs don’t spark my interest. They don’t really add anything that excites me, just visual appearances.

1 Like

As far as Mechagnomes… maybe Mechagon should have unlocked Mechanical cosmetic options for all races - or maybe even just Gnomes. But a whole Allied Race Slot for them? That was a misstep, imo.

Vulpera are aesthetically and thematically different enough from Goblins, that they were a great addition. I remember when they were seen at Blizzcon as just NPCs, the crowd reacted and people wanted them to be Playable ASAP.

I don’t know what Alliance folks would have wanted instead if it had to be a small race. Maybe Fungarian? I would play a Fungarian.

3 Likes

We’re missing several classes on Alliance that the horde has more of. The Horde now has 1 more Druid than us, and don’t get me started on Shaman. Most of ARs should have just been extra customization for other races. [Highmountain, Mechagnomes, Lightforged Draenei.] I just want it to be balanced at this point. There should be an even amount of classes on both sides to all races.

So yes. I do think ARs are pretty awful in of themselves.

1 Like

Very much so, wasn’t interested in Kul Tiran outside of having some cool wicker druid forms and wasn’t interested in anything else released. But there was Void Elves which are pretty hotly played even if I’m not very interested in them. LFD could’ve been a customization option, probably same for mechagnomes.

1 Like

This is wow were talking about…not FFXIV level writing. WoW’s writing is as simple as it gets. They just take random villains to fill in patches now.

1 Like

tbh.
i think the mecha-gnomes should of been a cosmetic option for normal gnomes, so that more people, play those gnomes instead of just pick “Gnome, or junker gnomes”

and the light forged should of been the Broken either from outlands, or just the ones on Argus.

while the blood elves could of been something else at least, no idea what, but im still thinkin…

1 Like

/rimshot

Well done, my friend.

Fair point. of the new ARs, they’re all Human-like except for LFD.

They did get new racials.

1 Like

Horde players have spent years asking for races like ogres, taunka, forest trolls, and cursed arakkoa and I don’t see that many of them complaining about what they got in their stead.

Blame the people who play Alliance. The ones who would lose their minds with joy if they got another variant of humans, elves, or draenei most likely outnumber the ones who want races like sethrak and ankoan 100 to 1.

They had their own zone, their own dungeon, their own models with unique animations that would’ve been a massive pain or even outright impossible to merge with regular gnomes, and were involved in the Mekkatorque plot thread following Dazar’alor. Their fate was set in stone, they were never going to be demoted to gnome customization no matter how much the community complained.

As strong as the pushback against mechagnomes was (and still is, judging by threads like this), imagine the PR disaster that would’ve been Blizzard announcing that the Horde would be getting vulpera immediately into 8.3 and telling gnome fans “Sorry, gnome fans, not enough people like your race, so what would have been your allied race is now just going to be barber options that will all be bugged as hell on release because we had to painstakingly retrofit them, animations and all, onto regular gnomes on short notice.” Then they tell the rest of the Alliance “Sorry, Alliance, we have to scramble to get you a new allied race to replace mechagnomes, so you won’t be getting yours until six weeks into 8.3. That race will also be bugged.”

In the end, they’re forced to announce sethrak for the Alliance because it was their most heavily-requested race next to high elves, but they’re tied to Uldum Accord rep because there’s no rep grind available to Alliance characters in Vol’dun, so people complain about how long it is compared to the grind for Voldunai that most Horde players would’ve finished months ago. Then the Alliance playerbase complains that sethrak have no gender options (because it’s hard to make female models for non-mammals), that they don’t have the exact combination of paladins, druids, and warlocks, that they can’t wear helmets at all because Blizzard went the same route that BioWare went with playable Togruta and Nautolans in SWTOR, etc.

Also, the Alliance getting an allied race and customization for one of their existing races in the same patch that the Horde only got vulpera would’ve invariably led to cries of Alliance favoritism. To suggest that mechagnomes as an allied race vs. mechagnomes as gnome customization wasn’t a case of Morton’s fork on Blizzard’s end is laughable. They were better off just taking the heat and moving on since it’s in this community’s nature to complain about everything they get, anyway.

Wasn’t happening for the reasons I stated above, and have been stating for years.

No, it does not.

Horde in Vol’dun - Went there to stop Jakra’zet, stayed for roughly 2 hours, worked with the Devoted and Voldunai, killed Korthek, dismantled the Faithless, restored Sethraliss, Devoted are now on good terms with the Zandalari and vulpera

Alliance in Vol’dun - Went there to set up a foothold in Zandalar, stayed for roughly 15 minutes, did one or two major kindnesses for the Devoted, only had negative interactions with the Faithless who were just in their way (so that group joining the Alliance for nebulous reasons is right out), one Alliance leader suggests that they might work with the Devoted again in the future in a throwaway line that ultimately went nowhere

I’m starting to think that people who keep insisting that the sethrak are a natural fit for the Alliance have only played Vol’dun on one faction and/or are grossly misremembering how much the Alliance really did in that zone.

1 Like