Does a computer setup make a difference in gaming performance?

Is that game any good? Portal 2 or was it something else?

1 Like

Never really played the Portal games myself, but I hear they’re phenomenal from people who have.

Etch n Wow lol

1 Like

Portal and Portal 2 are some of the greatest first person puzzle games ever made and absolutely recommend everyone give them at least a playthrough.

4 Likes

I play using a out of the box HP gaming desk top with a ryzen r5 3500 , gtx 1650 super . 16 g ddr4 ram and 1tb nvme ssd drive with a 32" Samsung tv for display

1 Like

Does a computer setup make you better for gaming?

such a complicated question cannot get a simple answer. But if you want one. “Maybe”

it’s going to depend on, what type of game, whose playing, what your expectations are, down to even how it’s developed.

Ideally, the more FPS you can push at the highest quality setting is always going to be ideal. Problem is the hardware to get that will vary from game to game and there is such thing as overkill.

(ok, that’s a lie, no such thing as overkill, just “diminishing returns”)

1 Like

I’ve worried about first person games like I’d never understand it

it’s a first person, but its not a shooter, if that’s your concern. you never are really tested on reaction time, or shooting anything.

1 Like

Amateur.

Atari 2600 or GTFO.

3 Likes

Funny story to show sometimes its things you dont think of.

I have 2 different systems that I use and a couple of monitors my son and I swap between us (yeah stupid but we keep changing setups). My video card died in my PC so I was l playing on my Mac that has an eGPU. Worked ok but had a weird stuttering when turning. I tried a new M1 and loved the way it played but took it back and just ordered a replacement for the video card in my PC. I played a few days on the integrated with everything turned down - weirdly it was easier to find quest items on the ground :slight_smile:

Here is the stupid part i missed. I use a wireless gaming mouse (G602). WOrks perfectly in normal use. In gaming it was causing the stuttering. I plugged in a wired mouse and even a cheapy one that came with my desktop and I had no stuttering! Since I play from my recliner wired is a no go so I played with positioning the dongle and now everything is fine.

IT was all wireless interference that was causing the “stuttering” I was seeing when turning.

1 Like

Gone through a few of those G602’s mysef.

I absolutely adore the mouse from a comfort and usability standpoint.

But these things are trash quality build. From poor reception on the dongle to constantly failing switches in the buttons. I bought a bunch of these things and in 4 years, 5 were dead all from failing dongles or failing switches.

Switched to a similar product from razer and so far so good with the switches holding up and reception (has both dongle and BT for connectivity)

I’m realy annoyed, Cause the G602 is STILL my favourite mouse ever. I just can’t keep buying replacements!

2 Likes

Going over a baseline won’t give you a major advantage, but if your rig is too far below said baseline it is a disadvantage.

2 Likes

Pfft…ya’ll need to upgrade to the Intellivision like me for those high-def graphics in dungeons!

5 Likes

Intellivision D&D was lit, NGL.

1 Like

GeForce RTX 3080
32 inch monitor
etc
etc

It’s diminishing returns.

If you boost from 30 FPS at 1800p to 60 FPS at 1800p that’s going to probably be a considerably better experience.

From 1800 60FPS to 4k 60FPS is probably a smaller performance boost but still a considerable one. But then it’s mostly cosmetic.

Getting that higher refresh monitor and playing at 90 or 100FPS is going to be entirely cosmetic but might help you out some.

Getting Ray Tracing and increasing to 150FPS isn’t going to really do anything.

Note that those first steps are much MUCH cheaper than those later ones. So to play WoW with a “competitive” machine doesn’t exactly take much. You can play just fine on an 1800p fortnight machine at a comfortable FPS.

If you want to go higher there’s no upper ceiling on what you can spend really, but eventually you get to the part where there’s no notable improvement in gameplay.

Ask yourself “Am I comfortable with X framerate at X resolution” and build around that.

1 Like

Yes, having a quality, comfortable mouse and keyboard on a PC that can run the game at high fps displayed on a good monitor will all help to make you a better player. It’s not necessary; many people remember playing on bad tiny laptops and having fun doing that, but if you wanna become a better player it helps to have good hardware and peripherals.

1 Like

All it comes down to is whether you’re running the game in a comfortable manner at a decent frame rate over a decent internet connection. That’s it.

I run 5 accounts simultaneously on my laptop for transmog collections without any issues, as well as just having four of them AFK or sit at the AH while I do instanced content on my main.

1 Like

Does a computer setup make you better for gaming?

Are we all just going to ignore this car wreck of a sentence?

1 Like

If we can mostly understand the posts that Celebrate makes, then this one is just fine.

5 Likes