Do you need to purchase retail to play WoW classic?

My brother wants to try WoW classic when it comes out, but he does not own any of the previous WoW titles.
Can he just donwload the client and download wow classic and buy a subscription to play or would he have to purchase one of the games to have access to WoW classic?

He has to purchase it.

i read that all you need is a sub.

2 Likes

I thought the base game was free?

You only need to pay the $15 sub. You do not need to buy any expansions.

2 Likes

All a player needs is a subscription or game time added to their account.

Base game is free.

You might find some good deals online for 90 day game cards (which is what I did).

2 Likes

Well I’ve been wrong once or twice before lol. Still though I was sure you’d need the latest version of WoW. Perhaps not.

Thanks for the speedy replies!

Nah, it wouldn’t make sense to need the latest version in order to play the old version. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

So can anyone just play the game for free(minus sub) to level 110?

You are thinking “Retail” and that is currently free up to lvl 20.

1 Like

I didn’t buy retail and I can confirm you don’t need it for Classic.

“All players with active World of Warcraft subscriptions or game time on their accounts have access to WoW Classic at no additional cost.”

3 Likes

You said base game is free. What is the base game?

All accounts new or existing will have Legion as the base game. Add a sub to that account, you will have access to Classic.

2 Likes

Up to legion is completley free with an active sub. You dont need to purchase,anything at all. Unless you wanna play BFA. Otherwise its just a sub.

Blizzard specifically posted that Classic is only free to those that have an active subscription. By that definition it would still require the paid retail version of the game, otherwise you’re paying $15 for a $60 game.
But on the other side of that, adding game time without having the expansions is possible.

The only way to know is to try it

Classic is the base game

So Blizzard is charging a minimum of $15 for Classic.

Well that’s not right lol