Do you need to purchase retail to play WoW classic?

honestly I would contact support and ask them these questions direct =) I am sure some of the info we tried to provide may be inaccurate in some ways.

I guess someone going into it brand new would have to buy the full retail version? But somebody who in theory, hasn’t purchased an expansion since the Burning Crusade wouldn’t need to buy BFA since they already own a WoW account with vanilla.

Make a trial account, add time to it DONE, NP your welcome! Have a good night!!!

2 Likes

The retail base game is all the way up to but not including BFA. . So Vanilla to Legion. .

WIth a sub you can play all of that content to 110 and classic.

1 Like

No, you get up to Legion free and level 20 is free. Anything past that is extra. so i f you want to level past 20 and have access to bfa and classic you gotta pay the 15$ bucks.

with a sub yes you can do this, without buying the old battlechest. or catchup that we used to do. you can still do recruit a friend and stuff though and gain bonus that wait. thsi article at polygon explains it pretty good its from 2018 when they made the change. https://www.polygon.com/2018/7/17/17583338/world-of-warcraft-legion-battle-chest-subscription-only