Do y'all enjoy world scaling?

That may explain it. It was an Alliance toon but it was also within one of the questing areas of the foothold questline, I wasn’t off exploring the rest of the zone or anything. IDK.

I liked the unscaled Vanilla world way better, and I think that’s a major draw of Classic.

I was just thinking about this recently, and specifically about how raiding is about the only place in the game where you can still feel real progression. Even in M+, you can move from one plus level to the next, but you’re doing the same fights.

3 Likes

I enjoy leveling and one aspect I never did enjoy was having so many zones in the game being restricted due to their level restrictions.

Yes, I absolutely love world scaling and absolutely abhor zones that don’t have this done.

I never want to level through BC content for the rest of my life, that includes their abysmal repetitive dungeons. Thankfully Blizzard feels the same way as I do and lifted the silly restrictions to so many zones.

3 Likes

It’s fine while leveling but it’s terrible at max lvl. Monster’s get a cut of your gear it seems.

2 Likes

I agree with what a lot of you saying, the iLvL scaling seems like the bigger problem. Though I believe that’s a coping mechanism since the power curve at max level is much higher in recent expansions than it used to be. You can have two level 120s, one of which does 6x the DPS and 10x the health of the other one because ilvl jumps are so high. I don’t know what an easy solution is unless they’re going to reduce the ilvl range at max level, but I assume they don’t want to take that approach because it would take a lot longer to tune 4 difficulties of raid tiers.

Because with how quickly you can jump 50+ ilvls at max level that would very quickly make content feel obsolete. Ding 120 and stuff is super tanky, and then an hour or two later you would literally oneshot it without scaling. I totally get why they want to have some sort of scaling for that, but it just feels bad to not be growing more powerful… like whats the point of gear if it’s not making us stronger against the content we’re doing?

Without reducing how quickly ilvl advances I don’t know what’s a good solution that feels good for everyone.

1 Like

I like that they consolidated multiple expansions into one zone so they could condense the overall XP ranges. It’s nice to have more options on where to level, something I wish the current expansion would have - if it weren’t for the double XP you’d pretty much need to complete the full questlines from all 3 zones, super repetitive on alts to do the same linear storylines… picking which one you do first doesn’t really make it any fresher.

I love that they made both TBC and WOTLK 60-80 for example, I just don’t like that Hellfire Peninsula is equally challenging at level 60 as it is at level 79 if that makes sense.

2 Likes

Yup.

Can’t even feel progression in instanced PVP either because of PVP scaling. If raids is where all progression is noticeable then that feels bad.

:raising_hand_woman: :raising_hand_man:

1 Like

I like the choice but I don’t like i lvl scaling what is the point of getting gear if it’s going to be the same whether you’re in greens or purples.

3 Likes

I don’t mind scaling at all. It never made sense to me that a raptor in the Wetlands is somehow less dangerous than a raptor in Ungoro.

I just wish they would bring back micro-dungeons and elite mobs. That would actually make leveling someone challenging again

I understand why it’s a thing, but it completely kills any sense of growth in the game. I love that there are traditionally zones in RPGs that are just out of reach while you level and gear. Once you get what you need, you can finally ‘unlock’ those areas and progress. I miss having legitimate starting areas and I miss that there aren’t difficult zones now.

Make a zone with all elites that require parties to be in. Make areas that are off limits until you hit a certain level or ilvl. Make the world feel dangerous.

5 Likes

Hated it then and hate it now.

6 Likes

No I hate any form of scaling and the only reason why I’m not whining about it is because you can eventually out level old content zone, if ALL zones from Classic up to Shadowland scaled up from level 10-60 with you, I would probably quit the game over it, since soloing old dungeons would become impossible and that would be a game breaker for me.

3 Likes

Absolutely! It cheapens the power gain that you have fought for. There is nothing in the world of Azeroth that requires mobs to scale with you, nothing! Oh wait, it’s another way of slowing people down instead of making it interesting.

6 Likes

I’m fine with it. There’s still power progression. You go back to obliterating mobs as soon as you get some gear at max level.

1 Like

On the one hand I hate it, I miss zones having levels and a point at which you should go to them.
On the other hand, in combination with party sync, I can use it to my advantage.
Now instead of going to the correct zones to level in I just do every starting zone for whatever faction I’m playing then one of the zones that would normally have come after those.
Then I party sync and do it again.
When I ding 60 I party sync and do it again.
When I ding 80 I party sync and do it again.
When I ding 90 I unlock the garrison, and by the time you get to Draenor you’re 93 so I go to Gorgrond and do all the bonus objectives then…
I party sync and do the bonus objectives again.
When I ding 100 I party sync and do it again.
When I ding 110 I party sync and do it again
Then I ding 120.

Ya know… this gets me thinking. Why are all the min/max elitist haters not up in arms about this stuff? Scaling is as anti RPG as you get. When they scream about wanting the game to feel more like an RPG, why are they silent here.

hrmmmmm…

:thinking:

2 Likes

I feel like it’s a bandaid on the game’s power escalation, which is so bad it’d make Dragonball Z and Naruto blush. Without scaling, the steep curve on power growth makes things way too binary: it’s either a fight or you vaporize them.

Ideally, you’d be able to feel your character’s growth without totally obliterating everything you’ve grown past. There’s something weird about being able to kill Ragnaros by giving him a mean glare… yes, he should get easier to beat with each xpac for sure, but realistically it’s never not going to be a fight, even if it’s an easy fight.

But blizz hasn’t shown any interest in fixing the escalation problem for real, so scaling is probably here to stay.

I don’t notice a difference/I don’t care.

I dont like it. I remember in vanilla crossing over into a higher level zone while leveling and just being wrecked. It made the entire experience much better. Level scaling is just boring.

3 Likes

I don’t mind level scaling so much, but item level scaling like we saw in early BFA and especially the current pvp scaling are literally THE two things I hate the most about this game.

1 Like