Do something about boosting

Noted L60 mage “Majinbruh”, supporter of boosting

I’ve sat in LFG and began comparing the differences between my server and others. Keep in mind, this is for Alliance side. I’m from BB and testing out Pagle. Both Servers are Alliance dominated. Difference being Pagle is high pop and BB is Med Pop. Along with BB being RP, and Pagle is Normal

As I sat in the LFG, on Pagle, there are way more active normal groups than BB. With the occassional player or two wanting boosting services (either to be paid or pay for). Both Pagle and BB seem to carry the same amount of boosting services. However, Pagle has a lot more active normal dungeon groups than BB. I’m assuming because Pagle has more people than BB.

I’ll have to compare Horde side. Seems Alliance side, isn’t suffering from these “boosting groups”.

Yoko killed classic

Your point? This is coming from a guy who thinks lfg chat is too hard cause of boosters. QQ

what, is lookingforgroup really global channel? I was so sure it was played owned O_O i guess i can report ppl spamming it after all.

LFG is not hard whatsoever, now that I have every single one of you cancerous boosters on ignore. And the “point” you cannot get is that it is ironic that you blast people and tell them to go back to retail, while you support and likely run boosting.

Why does it matter how everybody else plays the game? As you said, LFG is not hard, so why does it matter that there is a percentage of the playerbase that wants to play differently than you?

I don’t get the entitlement you guys have over telling other people how to spend their 15 dollars a month. It’s just unreal.

Where did I do anything of the sort? Having an opinion that the practice is absolute lame crap does not equate to telling someone how to play the game. Get a grip.

Split up LFG channel into two subsets. One channel for all the boosties and gold dkp pugs etc. Call it GLFG, or /4 goldlookingforgroup. As a player still trying to play the game, you can join the other channel GLLFG, or /5 goodlucklookingforgroup.

Boosters would spam both with ads, and blizzard has shown zero desire to moderate the existing ones.

In general people are saying things like “ban boosting” and “ban boosters from /world and /lfg” which is pretty presumptuous and entirely within the realm of being so entitled to think that their preferences should be held up above all other players and the game must change to accommodate their particular set of rules.

Calling somebody a

is within my definition of telling somebody how to spend their 15 dollars a month by shaming the perfectly legitimate, entirely within the TOS guideline behavior that is a gold-based in-game leveling service.

Or what if they just made different servers? Normal and Cheese.

On the Normal servers, no xp is granted if someone 10+ levels higher than you is in the party. Multiboxing is not allowed, and it’s enforced. GDKP runs are not allowed, and it’s enforced. World buffs are disabled when you enter raids. Bans on gold selling and bots are more strictly enforced. Everyone has to actually play the game as originally intended.

On the Cheese servers, anything goes. Make all items in the game BoE and allow WoW tokens. Everything is for sale to those who have the cash. Nobody has to play the game if they don’t want to. They can just pay-to-win through everything.

I know it would never happen, just thinking hypothetically. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Explain to me as to why this should be something that is not just the status quo?

This is like summoning the “Gene’s Vision” argument in any kind of Star Trek discussion. It’s so easy to point to “originally intended” because it’s an entirely nebulous concept that means different things to different people at different times to suit whatever narrative they’re currently pushing.

I don’t see it that way. If you look at the design of the game, it’s filled with tons of things that are obviously there to steer players toward a playstyle that the developers thought was best for the players and best for the game and community. In most cases, it’s pretty obvious.

The biggest example relevant to this discussion is group content. They put elite quests in the game. Why? To encourage people to group with other appropriate level players, use teamwork to overcome the obstacles, make friends, and join/form guilds. They put dungeons in the game. Why? Same reason.

And then you have people circumventing that game design and, when others frown upon it, using fine print lawyer arguments to make excuses as to why doing so is perfectly normal and legitimate.

I ask myself, “Does this behavior clearly violate the intent of the original developers, and would they have most likely fixed it in 2005-2006 had the behavior become commonplace?” If the answer is yes and yes, I don’t do it, and I frown upon those who do.

The one exception to that is world buffs. As a tank, I have to get them, or I won’t be able to hold aggro against those in the raid who have them.

Your definition is absurd.

You might have a point if boosting was actually a “playstyle”, and if it’s incessant advertising was a proper/intended use of the official /LFG channel.

Is it not equally intended for high level players to be able to kill low level elites quickly?

The thing you keep omitting is experience is already nerfed when a high level is in the group. They decided that boosting was fine, so long as it didn’t give full exp.

I respect your opinion, but you keep calling it fact or clear developer intent. It’s not. If the devs didn’t intend for this, they would have nerfed exp in a group with a high level far more than they did. They deliberately picked a modifier that left boosting alive.

1 Like

Regardless of if you like it or not, boosters are, in fact, looking for a group. They are specifically looking for a group to help level players, which sounds like it’s an intended behavior. The gold exchange for a service is irrelevant. By the very definition of the “looking for group” channel, I would definitely say the channel is being used as intended: to look for a group for a specific purpose.

The problem is that you disagree with the purpose of the group.

So you honestly believe that the creators of this great game would not have further nerfed the xp with 60’s in 2006 if things had become like they are now, with paid boosts becoming the norm on some servers rather than the exception, with LFG channels being overrun with advertisement spam? I think they would have been appalled and quickly brought the nerf hammer down, hard. No question in my mind.

I mean, 10-man Scholo/Strat zergs became the norm back then, and they fixed that, to force people to 5-man it. They would have fixed this, too.

People forget that there was a time when Blizzard actually would make things more difficult if players found ways to make it too easy, because they knew that it was best for the players, to protect them from themselves. It wasn’t until LK and later expansions that they started throwing their hands up in the air and giving in to the whinier portions of the playerbase, which led to the game’s downfall, IMO.

2 Likes

Anyone who actually played throughout vanilla and is arguing in good faith knows this to be abundantly true.

1 Like

Yes, because it was like this during TBC and they did nothing.

1 Like