Do people with no gear deserve to be shamed?

Depends, in BFA I would say yes it’s justified as gear is too important. IDK what you Horde players often face but the other day I tried getting back into BG’s (not on this character I’m not so shameful.) and 1/2 of the Horde teams I was facing (more like 3-5 players in 10 man bg’s.) had 470+ item level with Mythic raid trinkets.

Someone with a cloak and average gear is nearly useless depending on their class when fighting those beasts. They just can’t do a thing when the enemy team is geared like that and have geared healers with them. BG’s feel so bad right now.

1 Like

Yes. Just as the person with no gear is free to Q up a bg.

Personally, when I am on any fresh 120, I do the Naz/cloak/catchup stuff and at least get to like ilvl 420 or so within a day or so, so I am not completely useless in pvp.

And even then, if I am on a pretty undergeared alt, I’ll defend nodes, call incs, etc. and just try to be a helpful body.

End of the day, it’s random quick match, and you get what you get as far as teammates.

Unless or until the match making gets smart enough to take it into account better there MUST be a place for new 120s or whatever level bracket to PvP.
They should not end up in a group with a bunch of well geared people at all, but its bound to happen.
No, it isnt appropriate or justified at all unless your talking about rated, where else do they have to queue?

The problem is just how big the gap is between stats and iLvls is in BFA. When you level with Heirlooms you end up with like 90k hp at 120 and your first set of dungeon/heroic gear gets you to 250k hp. By the time you’re at 465 you’re at 400k and 475 you’re at 500k.

A 250k hp player cannot beat a 500k hp player no matter how hard they try even with PvP scaling. They just get absolutely melted.

So when you’re trying to win a match: having 2-3 people out of 10 be low iLvl and the other team is higher iLvl is literally make-or-break. It’s like throwing people in greens vs purples.

It makes little to no difference in epic BGs because those tend to be more about which side has the better quality healers during large scale engagements. Battle of Ashran turns into a 45 minute battle of healers carrying the team.

1 Like

WoD had it right, in Blizzard’s own words:

Gear up fast via PVP and you are only 15 ilvl below BIS conquest gear. No gear shaming, just have fun doing PVP.

2 Likes

We have gone from “What’s your Gear Score” to “What’s your Raider.io score/Rating” to “You have no gear and 45K HP? Come play with me.”

Couple things first… and this is important. Random BGs are casual play and aren’t meant to be competitive. So the people trying to be crazy and complain about not winning, their team mates, gear or any other silly thing… well there is an entire Rated Bracket where they can be competitive in.

Next and this is also important… Random BGs/Casual BGs is supposed to be the stepping stone into PvP. Where you GEAR UP and learn your Class/Spec. BGs is where you test gear, test macros, or just have fun participating in some PvP solo or with friends.

So since casual BGs are this testing, gearing up, learning place for players there will ALWAYS be new geared players, new experienced player trying PvP etc… Thus why it can’t be competitive.

So the people taking casual BGs as competitive or complaining about their teams gear are not just wrong but can choose another place to play that is what they are looking for. People expecting things in casual BGs is what is wrong with BGs. It’s casual you can leave when you want. Que with whatever gear you want. It’s not competitive PvP.

On a side note in a casual BG recently I was just having some fun it was Twin Peaks and this team went mental and asked me to do my job and get the flag. They said run the flag or we are reporting you :rofl: Sorry my job is to enjoy the BG. I didn’t Que for you or to run the flag. There are 9 other people on the team relax and have fun. Have fun!!!

There should be ZERO entitlement in casual BGs. They are casual and no one owes anyone anything.

1 Like

I have to disagree with you to a point. Every competition has 2 definitive outcomes, there will be a winner and there will be a loser. A Battleground is a form of competition. They are in fact called Random Battlegrounds and not Casual Battlegrounds. They are called Random Battlegrounds because the area of competition can be any map randomly chosen by Blizzard’s RNG script and not because your teammates are chosen randomly. There is not a tutorial in the game that points new players to Random Battlegrounds as an introduction to PvP.

There is an expectation of competition (not skill level) from the participants. I would rather play with someone that has at least put some time into their character and has tried to prepare themselves before I take someone that has put 0 effort into preparing themselves and only wants the rest of their teammates to carry them to gear, resources, etc. Random Battlegrounds are not supposed to be “Serious Business” but they are also not a crutch for people not playing the natural progression of the game.

Even in a pickup game of basketball, if you show up to the court not wearing shoes your teammates are more likely to run you off faster than someone that can’t dribble the ball.

Totally agree.

Unfortunately the game does not support this anymore.
That was how it used to be, before the dark days of Legion and even darker days of BfA.

This is the problem of the game not the player. BG’s should be a place to earn baseline PVP gear fast. It used to be this way. The fact that people are expected to “at least put some time into their character and has tried to prepare themselves” is only a product of the horrid PVE gearing treadmill that PVP has become.

Blame the game, no the player.

3 Likes

I couldn’t respectfully disagree more. Random = Casual. They are one in the same. There are no rules or requirements when you are doing Casual BGs. You can fight on the road and leave. You can test gear and macros and leave. You are there to have some fun in a casual environment. It’s never will be or should we attempt to make Casual BGs into something that is competitive.

We join Random BGs to do what we want there is no commitment. If the name Random BGs is causing too much of a confusion here we should rename them to Casual BGs or BG skirmishes. You are just there to either test stuff, gear up or have some relaxing fun.

Well then there is Rated BGs/Arena for that where you can place your own Gear requirements and experience. Sorry but Casual BGs isn’t the place where you should expect anything from anyone. They should be a place where brand new characters start!! Random BGs are a starter zone for PvP plain and simple.

Yea but a pick up game is where… YOU GET PICKED by a team to play with them. Where RANDOM BGs there is no requirement. You don’t need shoes… You can do what you want. It’s 100% casual play and a skirmish for the real games.

People need to stop taking BGs seriously at all or only do Premades. They are what is wrong with BG/Casual PvP format. If you want PvP participation to go up ppl need to stop being so toxic to under geared or new players. Let them learn the game, gear up and that is what BGs are there for crying out loud!!!

3 Likes

Can’t believe I agree with you on something. This is what randoms are, and rated is where you should earn the real gear.

1 Like

Random Bgs are mostly just for fun, anyone should be able to queue up and enjoy, I don’t think people should be “shamed” for their gear but some people should be more considerate of others if they have 70khp and they’re going up again 350-500k.

1 Like

You mean Blizzard should be more considerate of people who enjoy random BG’s and bring back WoD gearing. When PVP gear was free from PVE gear, we never had such a ridiculous gear disparity, nor did we need silly opaque scaling to try to remedy it.

The players should just be able to play the content they want to play without being coerced into content they don’t want to.

5 Likes

It’s not like you hit max level in wod and just had full honor gear. Would have been the same queuing up then. I know you have this obsession of getting bis pvp gear from randoms, but that’s not really the direction Blizz is going lately.

Both, everyone is responsible for their own actions, blizzard for whatever reason is inflating the gear disparity by humongous amounts where it’s like people are two expansions apart in terms of stats(that’s what it feels like atleast, prior to stat squish) and every person knows full well if they have below 100k hp they will be absolutely useless and blown up almost instantly.

Blizzard should have stayed at WoD and just iterated on it, maybe even give each spec different gladiator sets with unique set bonuses to choose from…as well as not inflate the gear disparity as much as they did in BFA (corruption just made it worse too)

2 Likes

Dude that’s just not true. Gear is massive. If you roll in with 200k hp, you’re practically an empty slot. Three chaos bolts and you’re gone.

5 Likes

As it should be and don’t bother getting into it with the established trolls. It will just go round and round. That’s why I just put them on Ignore now works great.

Anyone that doesn’t think Gear is massive hasn’t played the game or attained high levels of corruptions, gems and trinkets. Your biggest source of power is corruption, trinkets, azerite, essences. Where if you don’t have specific items you just aren’t competitive.

With that said the gearing process should be more fun but I remain with my original point. Random BGs are just casual BGs if you take them seriously you are part of the problem… they aren’t competitive. They are the starter zone for PvP so be nice to people so they stick around and play.

3 Likes

Try to be at least 440. It can still be struggle, but you be higher on the food chain. I can typically do kick butt dps at this gear, unless the opposing team knows I hit hard and start ganging up, making me sometimes wish I went the verse route…Maybe shouldn’t have a stick out name here :joy:.

Abomb dropping truth bombs.

1 Like