DO NOT upgrade your belt to tier set

… LMAO! :rofl:!!!

But if it’s difficult to see, why are people making the mistake? And then why are people confirming that it’s because of poor execution?

Like I get your point, but empirical evidence points to the contrary.

I mean if you want to be a flat earthen even though facts say otherwise, go ahead dude. But reality doesn’t agree with you in either case.

I suppose you’re right, I guess I just had too much faith that people would actually read the tooltip before clicking the button.

1 Like

Oh wow that sucks! Sorry mate : /

I don’t know why they’re making this mistake…or in other words, it’s difficult for me to see why people are making this mistake.

Actually that’s not even true, I know exactly why people are making this mistake, they weren’t paying attention to what they were doing. This is especially true for people expecting to make a 2 or 4pc, since they are already wearing gear that tells them explicitly which items they have and which they are missing.

I posted this earlier, maybe it can help people finding this thread:

I got some screenshots I borrowed(stole) from Ronalio’s post in there to help visually illustrate and did my best to describe the difference between a tier set and a tier bonus.

Alot of the issues in this thread come from simply mixing up the lingo we use.

Tier sets are the complete (set pieces and off pieces) gear set up that would result in the full transmog look. If you go under the adventure guide, you will see what your complete tier set looks like and what pieces make it up.

This is why boots, belts, and other off pieces can be used in the Creation Cataylst (shortened to CC). The CC is used to make non tier pieces into tier (so the new stats and look will always be the same no matter what boots you drop in, as it will change to the raid tier boots). What people are scrambling over is known as “Set pieces”.

Let’s take a look:
Dungeon gear (Mists in 9.0 dropped a trinket that is the same in 9.2 [lies, that trinket never drops…Changling]. Numbers may be bigger, but the base stays the same)

PVP gear (neck from pvp vendor in 9.0 and 9.2 will both be Agi, Stam, Haste, Vers. Numbers change, but the core aspect remains the same)

Tier gear (gear dropped from Raids that complete the full look of the corresponding transmog. Are usually suited to fit a class)

Set pieces (2pc and 4pc. The ones that give you the bonuses you want for wearing multiple of the set)

Why isn’t the Raid gear simply known as raid gear and not tier gear?
Unlike Dungeon and pvp gear, raid gear changes tier to tier. 9.0 raid boots are differently stated compared to raid boots in 9.2. Raid gear is known as “Tier” gear as it is gear that is dropped in this tier of raiding.

Players are wanting set pieces. This is where the power from the tier comes from. Set pieces are part of the tier set. This is why alot of players refer to the “Set” pieces as “Tier”.

Sorry, got to jet. Girlfriend needs me. Will edit and finish the wall of text later.

No. If you go to Adventure Guide → Loot → Item Sets, you’ll see only the 5 pieces with the bonus. You have to go to Collections → Appearances → Sets to see all 8 pieces

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification!!!
Will edit when I get home

1 Like

The issue is that in the previous 20 tier sets all of the set items could contribute to the set bonus. Even covenant sets worked that way. All the druid items are named “of the Stars” for example so they’re clearly part of a set.

I had no issues because I’ve been trying to farm the 5 pieces that provide a set bonus in raid, but I can see where people would get confused. Yes, “read the tooltip” and all that, but Blizzard shouldn’t have suddenly changed a 17-year old convention and named items that don’t contribute to the set bonus as if they were tier items.

2 Likes

That’s irrelevant. The items that provide a set bonus: name the set, show you which pieces have the set bonus, highlight which of those pieces you have equipped, show you the set bonuses, and highlight which set bonuses you have active. The pieces that don’t give a set bonus look like every other piece of gear you come across. Honestly, saying it’s because they named them the same is reaching for an excuse because they can’t take responsibility for not paying attention to what they’re doing.

Yes! Exactly! That’s all you have to do. Don’t downplay that like it’s not important…it may be the most important aspect of this entire fiasco.

Or just let players refund the newly acquired gear piece within an hour or so.

1 Like

Because the 8 piece set is the transmog set.

Except that’s exactly the reason why people knew would contribute to the mistakes.

Some people are just new to the game. It’s not their fault.

That’s the transmog set.

Even when WoWHead pulls out files and decodes them for their website - they list the tier sets as being the pieces that give the bonus.

That’s actually not true at all … belts, bracers and feet haven’t given set bonuses since like TBC ?

Go look at your covenant set belt and bracers.

Also, items that had the name of the tier set had the bonuses. Offset items had different names.

1 Like

Exactly this. Naming the non tier items the same way the tier items are named, and having them come out of the thing that is supposed to create tier items is the root of the issue.

People saw this coming a mile away last week when they announced it.

1 Like

Yup, the last time there were belt/bracers/boots that contributed to a tier set bonus(es) was back in Sunwell Plateau patch for Tier 6 sets.

You’re right, it’s the naming that’s so misleading. Only set bonus items had the name of the tier set. Though as I said a moment ago, the covenant sets had belt/boots/bracers included in the set bonus.