Do NOT nerf Guardian Druid Mage Tower

Obviously you don’t deserve it, I don’t think it has to do with the skill level but with karma, being a person as you are, I think you are the type who prefers to take out one eye so that the person next to you loses his. You just have to read your comments to realize the type ego you have, it sucks by the way.

This is a game for god’s sake. People who ask for changes to the Tower are not that they want the free things, they just want to be able to have a little fun, just that. I don’t give a damn about achievement or transfigurations myself, I just want to be able to have fun doing the challenge (with balance) and not hitting my head against the wall.

For the first 5/10M in SoD (and most raids before it), gear definately trivializes the encounters. The most glaring example I can remember is Eternal Palace. Our first kill as a 20 man guild, we hit enrage and barely got it.

By the time we were farming Azshara, we had 4 carries who died on pull and kill it just before 3 minutes came off cooldown. 4 less people hitting it, half the time to kill it (and a good pay off, since we could bring those 4 carries to the first 4, then we did 2 up to Azshara, and we had 1 for Azshara).

Mythic encounters definately ramp up as you go through bosses and those first few bosses are undertuned because Blizzard knows the first people in there won’t have top level gear trying them.

This is exactly what people did in Legion and is, to a lesser extent, what they’re doing now.

When the tower first launched, people that didn’t have the skill to beat it initially eventually got gear from Antorus and other goodies (specific legos, etc) to make up the gap between their personal skill, and what the challenge requires. Many people (including myself on some of them) are doing the same thing now. Trinkets from the Legion period raids can help significantly. Getting some gear / gems to maximize scaled stats can also help make up that gap.

The question is, why are people so opposed to the additional effort now, when they also would have required it in Legion?

1 Like

Answer these question yourself.
How time did you have in Legion to beat the Tower?
Two weeks, Four weeks?
The Tower in Legion was part of the expansion or an old content?
Does the Antorus gear vs the Shadowlands gear work the same in the Tower? In terms of getting over it?

If this “arbitrary button-mashing” is so horrible for you, maybe you should go watch a movie or read a book for entertainment. It is a staple of literally every game ever made that you have to “arbitrary button-mash” to progress in the story or achieve the goals of the game. Maybe this form of entertainment isnt meant for you if this is so jarring to you.

I took a break at the end of Legion, so about the last 3 weeks of the expansion for most of them. For everyone else, the mage tower was “constructed” and then destroyed, and not on a schedule, so availability was random.

When they finally set it to be permanently up, it still required you to farm currency you had to spend to do each attempt. As it stands now, it’s permanently up for a month, and attempts cost you nothing. Is that better, or worse? I’m not sure, largely because it isn’t apples to apples.

Part of the expansion, but I’m not sure why this matters. You either used increasingly powerful current gear when it was current, or increasingly powerful old gear since it’s old.

That, I think, would be spec dependent. For Ret, I required nothing, but for Assassination I’d need some of the older trinkets to hit the DPS check. For Guardian, I had trouble with DPS / surviving, and loading up on vers gems pushed me over the hump. I’ve managed 6/7 so far, and they’ve varied from needing nothing to needing to deck out in old gear - see my current character for how I feel about the healing challenge. :smiley:

I think it also depends on the person. Some of the challenges I’ve heard people say are basically impossible I found rhythmic and easy to flow with, but vice-versa for ones people blow through that I just have a nightmare adjusting to.

Edit - I’ll be interested to see how the stats for the current tower pan out. There is an old infographic for Legion that is interesting - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C9U2VSuU0AMdJ-i.jpg:large

Objectively false.

I am an RPG player. I enjoy turn-based combat and making impactful moral choices. Most of the games I have enjoyed (Baldur’s Gate, Pillars of Eternity, Planescape: Torment, Tales of Vesperia, Tales of Legendia, Tales of Symphonia, Tales of the Abyss, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, EVO: The Search for Eden, Disco Elysium, etc.) do not incorporate arbitrary button-mashing at all. You make slow-paced, deliberate selections.

In World of WarCraft, you can largely do the same thing for most solo activities. Fishing, Archaeology, Pet Battles, and just about everything I love in the game is handled this way.

Combat is not. It’s arbitrary button-mashing. That’s not a major concern when any old combination of offensive abilities will see you through to the other side of what you’re trying to accomplish, but in the case of the Mage Tower, it’s worse than playing DDR or Guitar Hero. Cheesing the encounter doesn’t make it easier, it only makes it possible. Essentially, I hate it, and I think it should be changed.

That’s far from every video game, though. It’s not even all of WoW.

So we agree on two things.
1- The Tower should be permanent and they should review some challenges, I don’t think that inflated HP pools in the bosses is the solution to make it more difficult without meaning.
2- The gear should matter more, exactly as it was in Legion, as my gear grows it should be possible to make it easier to defeat the Tower.

This way, Casuals win, Elites win, everybody wins.

2 Likes

I think this might be bending some things I’ve said to suit another purpose. Gear growth (with regard to meeting a challenge) is not necessarily a one-way street. Your gear can “grow”, currently, to make the challenge easier… and you don’t even have to wait for a patch cycle!

Otherwise, neither of us has enough data to definitively declare that any of the challenges actually need tuning. Based on Blizzard’s own numbers from Legion, ~.84% of people that attempted the challenge actually completed it. Do you believe that less than that are achieving it now? Do you believe it should be easier now then before? If so, why?

There’s a very hard limit on that growth and that hard limit is already attained by most people.

It’s not at all like Legion MT where the limit was so high that it made most MT encounters completely trivial. Like “No infernals in P2 Kruul” trivial.

This applies to a very slight extent. If this were true, I’d be a mythic raid geared gladiator right now. I think whether or not you can ‘button mash’ your way to glory starts to change as content gets harder, and I’m not sure why that’s a bad thing.

Not that they are easier, but I think they should be as they were in Legion. I did not play Legion unfortunately but I have read everywhere that right now they are much more difficult than they were in Legion, which does not make sense.
Isn’t that supposed to be a Timewalking? Why make it harder on purpose?
There is even a post about the Twins that has the exact calculations back in Legion and now, and Raest has triple Legion HP for no apparent reason.

1 Like

I love those games, too. But you still have to press your buttons and if you press the wrong ones, you lose.
But if you just wanted to sound edgy and called people who know what theyre doing “button-mashers”, whatever, if it makes you happy…
There is still a huge difference between WoW and such story-driven or turn-based RPGs, that let you take all the time you need to figure out the right answer. Just because you like Point&Click-Adventures and dislike an action-based combatsystem, doesnt mean one of them is wrong and has to change into the other. There are people for either who enjoy it. Again, it really seems like this type of game is not for you and that is ok. But you shouldnt run around and try to 180° change everything into something that suits you.

I think this is closer to the crux of the issue. It would be nice if, as part of their new being ‘more communicative’ thing, they would explain the rationale.

It’s also why I think this should have been released with templates that everyone uses. Some classes are lacking tools they had in Legion while others are, as a base class, actually stronger, so it would be interesting to get some vision into the reasoning for certain things.

Someone hurt you deep down and now you’re just lashing out. There there, there there.

Calling people “button mashers” torpedoes Shred’s whole argument - a self-own if you will. If you are just button mashing, you don’t know what your abilities are actually doing. The MT tests your mastery of your class…

Still laughing at you. Yes, Karma is the reason lol - Clearly you and I live in two different worlds… You judge me by my in game attitude, and yet keep telling me how it is just a game. Nice hypocrisy. Take your own advice.

but yes, I do live my life that way. Business owner that started with nothing and has built a modestly successful company. Risked everything… put it all on the line for 10 years and now I am living well. Yes there are parallels to that and this game, hence my OP. If I fail the Bear Mage tower then I dust myself off, admit the game beat me and move on. If I do beat it, I will be sure to let you know Mr Karma.

By the way, I did complete the Paladin MT a few days ago after 140 pulls. Did I come here after 50, or even 100 saying it is too hard and cryign because other people have it and I don’t? NO! and that is what I am wearing now :wink: Lowsy Karma.

Precisely… and some people STILL blame the game when clearly many people have succeeded.

Of course you do. That’s why you place them on your bar where you do and why you button-mash in a specific order. In WoW, “mastering your class” takes 15 minutes of tooltip reading.

Then why didnt you finish your MTs yet? Is 15 minutes of your time too much investment?

1 Like

I feel that, as a frost mage, mine was perfectly tuned and so, I will say the bear druid is perfectly tuned as well. No way blizzard would not be able to keep their entire game balanced