Do I really have to do 11 - 15 M+

The cap is literally on the crests. Nobody’s asking for that to be raised.

Just to not have to go back into, what is for many, trivial content to get them.

2 Likes

What sort of strawman argument is this? Just because I didn’t dedicate my life to pushing the first week is connected to crests? LMAO

I think you should look me up on RIO and sit down. You arn’t some big shot compared to me.

3 Likes

If you clear Heroic you get about 100 fragments a week and to fill out the rest that’s 2-3 +15s or less. If you speed run with overgeared people it takes 15 minutes to clear a Freehold or UR.

The gearing system is upgrade the slot so by the end of the month you’ll probably have every slot upgraded to max.

1 Like

You need more Wyrm crests than Aspect crests to fully upgrade everything. To be fully maxed out, you will be doing a lot of 11s, even if you’re clearing heroic every week.

Is it the end of the world? No. Is it good? Also no.

This is literally impossible on week 2.

Is the system promising? Yes. Is it perfect? Absolutely not. Even Blizz acknowledged when they first posted about it that this would be iterated on. This is an area where they should iterate.

It’s not. With good raid RNG, 2x crafted items, a vault that’s an upgrade, and minimal crests spend on the 428-431 ilvl jump you can be completely done with the crest system in week 2.

Source: I have 6 Aspects crests and 8 wyrm crests left, with 4 more slots to acquire 431 items for and upgrade. I’ve even got 2 aspect crests left over for if I get a 428 and need the extra wyrm.

1 Like

Ah, so when you say you’re upgrading your gear, you don’t mean upgrading it to the 5/5 Hero (441) full upgrade level. Gotcha.

I’m sure it’s faster if you’re only planning to get Champion level gear since you can downgrade your aspect crests, though I haven’t done the math on how long it takes to upgrade to midgrade items–I’m not spending crests on anything that isn’t Hero track.

This issue only affects people if they’re regularly doing 17+ keys.

I mean full 441.

1 Like

It is categorically, mathematically impossible to be full 441 today.

Please link a character with a 441 in every slot.

This shows you don’t actually understand the upgrade system.

Crest Discounts

For a given slot, once you obtain gear of a certain item level, either from upgrading or from drops, all future upgrades won’t cost any Crests to be upgraded. This discount is NOT account-wide. Rings and Trinkets require two of a certain item level to unlock the discount.

Because I haven’t taken time to figure out how to waste heroic crests on bad gear that I don’t want? Lol, ok.

Because you clearly don’t understand how the discounts work. It doesn’t matter if it’s Hero track or not, it’s based on ilvl.

It’s impossible if you don’t get good raid loot or vaults that are upgrades. You’re also forgetting the season 2 free tier piece saves 1-2 crests depending if you make a helm/chest or shoulders.

But ok…

To upgrade: Trinket 2 (2 Wyrm 1 Aspect), Belt (2 Wyrm 1 Aspect), Ring 1 ( 2 Wyrm 1 Aspect), Ring 2 (2 Wyrm 1 Aspect), Gloves (1 Aspect)… Total 8 Wyrm 5 Aspect

Available: 8 Wyrm 6 Aspect.

There’s a DK and Enh Shaman in my guild in the same position. Just waiting to loot the items but otherwise done with crests.

2 Likes

Again, I’m not spending crests on low item level gear. Why? Because I’m going to replace it with a Hero track item from a 19/20 that already has the item level I’m upgrading to, making the crest spend a complete and total waste.

So, again, I’m not upgrading anything from the Champion track or lower, because doing so is a waste of crests.

Exceptions to this might be a trinket or something like that. But in general, if you’re playing at the high end of PvE content, upgrading Champion gear with crests is a waste.

The system is upgrade the slot, not gear. So if I get a non-bis stat chest piece and upgrade it to 5/5 hero then get my bis chest piece I can then upgrade it to 5/5 with only the cost of flightstones.

Outside of ring, trinket, bracers, and neck the majority of my slots are upgraded to 437/440. It’s literally like 1-2 more weeks and everything is 5/5 hero upgraded…

1 Like

I did specify to be done this week you need to only be using your crests on the 431-434 and 434-437 upgrades, with maybe 1-2 exceptions.

Yes but if you loot say… a 424 chest and upgrade it to 437, then later loot that same chest at 431 and upgrade it to 441, you’re down 2 wyrm crests compared to if you’d waited for the 431 and just upgraded that.

It is possible to waste crests for short term upgrades, but it is also comparatively minor compared to valor. You have the resources to upgrade every item to 441 in week 5, even if you’ve been as wasteful as possible. If you were not wasteful at all and also got a decent amount of raid gear + vault and crafted items, you could be done today as I’ve shown above.

My opinion on the system is that it makes gearing way too fast either way at how you look at it. The cap goes up +10 a week and even if you were inefficient you’re still going to be able to max upgrade every slot by the end of this month. For alts you can just level and straight blitz farm M+ keys.

1 Like

If you have luck better than the best geared player in the world today, who still has multiple pieces below 441, then sure. Here in reality land, there is plenty left to do.

This system is way better than valor from an efficiency perspective, no doubt. The only time it wasn’t stupid to spend valor was on a turbo bis item at the highest possible item level. The season-long cap was barely enough to take a 2H from 1/13 to 13/13 last season. Very painful.

But that doesn’t really change the crux of this thread, which is that it’s really strange to have to spend any time at all in 11s when you’re able to do 17+. There is a weird incentive to do low keys under this system, and that incentive is the product of some weirdness in the downgrading system and the lack of a crest roll over once you cap. Both of those are easy fixes that would make the system feel better, and would allow me to make more efficient use of my time. I can’t get item upgrades in keys below 17. I don’t want to spend time in those keys. It’s weird that optimal gameplay requires I do so.

Also, most people aren’t clearing heroic raid yet (actually, most never will). So keep that in mind–11s are massively more attainable for the average player.

That’s my character. And yes I agree there is, but i posted my characters situation and you categorically disagreed it was possible.

I think bliz have made massive improvements over Valor with the system.

My opinion on the acquisition rate / gearing of this system is a little interesting. I think the rate at which it is possible to max out the system is significantly too fast, but I also think the number of people that affects is negligible.

Despite that, two things really hold the average player back with this system. The rate of crest acquisition and the consistent issues of m+ dungeon item drop rates. 2/5 x 1/7-14 is just too low and while it’s better on average than it was in season 1, it’s still the sort of thing that works on average in a spreadsheet but fails to account for how it actually feels to experience.

I’d love to see the crest cap reduced to maybe 7, the crest fragment drops increased to 15 for a key and remove the untimed key penalty, make wyrm crests drop once you max out your aspects, and then something done to the drop rates / non deterministic nature of the dungeon items themselves.