Do I need to use XMP?

Remember I’m an old grandma who is handy with hardware because 13 year olds make youtube videos.That being said,my daughter just bought new MB and a Ryzen 5 2600 to upgrade my grandsons pc.The MB is a 450,not a 470,because lots of kids and college are expensive.I bought ram that says it is supported ,G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000),because Social Security,lol.I will reuse his case and hd and ps,etc,plus he has a 1060 that I gave him for Xmas.Maybe I will add an ssd.

I have read about timing and XMP and all of that,but I’m not sure if I would need to enable it,or if I should.The Ryzen will be a huge upgrade from his FX6300 already. Should I be enabling XMP and changing profiles,etc?

Yeah, give it a try.

Its probably a setting in the bios called XMP or DOCP.

All this is, is an automatic profile where the ram stores the timing, speed, and voltage information. It allows you to easily enable the ram to run at it’s rated advertised speed.

If you don’t enable XMP/DOCP, it will run at the lower standard of 2133 or 2400 unless you manually enter in speed, voltage, timing, etc.

Ryzen machines benefit a lot from both fast memory and dual channel configuration. So make sure it’s in dual channel by checking the right slots in the motherboards manual, and give XMP/DOCP a shot. If it doesn’t work, I’d encourage you to try to manually configure the memory to at least 2667mhz with more relaxed timings.

2 Likes

Ok,I will give it a try. Thank you for the quick reply !

1 Like

Forum user “You” is much more knowledgeable on this subject.

Hopefully he will chime in later if you encounter problems, and he should he able to help.

I have a first generation Ryzen 5 1600 and a first generation X370 motherboard, and didn’t have success with XMP and I had to manually enter in the values to get the rated speed.

My understanding is the newer 2000 series chips and 400 series motherboards have improved on this a lot. So hopefully it just works for you with just the XMP or DOCP setting.

I turned on XMP once that said it was supposed to send me 3200 (my rams frequency) but it got stuck at 2666… had to manually switch frequency and voltage… Your mileage may very.

1 Like

I will keep that in mind.Hopefully RNG will be kind and it will be easy as pie.If not,I will be back and looking for “You”.

1 Like

Good luck!

And you are an amazing grandma!

So did xmp work correct?

Also what motherboard brand is this

Don’t think the gskill ram wouls be an issue

I Also have g skill ram but the higher end model Flare X, 2 of these kits so 4 ram sticks total

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16820232530

The ram won’t be here until Saturday,his B’day is Tuesday so I will put it together Wednesday. The mb is Asrock B450 Pro,I think,I don’t have it here right now.

I started doing things with electronics for my grandkids when they were all young,watching youtube videos made by 13 year olds on soldering charging ports in Nintendo DS,etc,then replacing screens on laptops,and built my first pc with a Phenom 2x4 965 Black Edition that is still running our HTPC in the living room . I wish I was decades younger!

2 Likes

Hopefully the bios settings will be the same

I have the asrock x470 taichi and I really love their brand

They have AMD exclusive video cards and would be my next brand to buy

imo, if you buy ram that should have an xmp profile for say 3200, and it doesn’t work just activating the xmp, you should return it. the price is based significantly on the guarantee of it working at higher clockspeed and/or lower latencies. even if it’s fixable by manually tinkering that’s a pain and you probably will end up adding latency or something that you shouldn’t have to do.

Luckily for the OP, theres a software that works with Ryzen only for manually adjusting for ram timings

Sometimes this works better than XMP

Haven’t tried it myself because of my ram kits are advertised to work with ryzen

Don’t need to guess this solves the timings for you

2 Likes

Ok,I’ll be using that.Thank you for the help!!

On my Ryzen board, I had to enabled XMP AMD manually increase voltage on dram to get it to work.

What’s funny is… I thought there was something wrong with my computer… it was crashing and bsoding constantly last night…

Tried a bunch of crap, ended up reinstalling windows, nothing… wth

Come to find out my Mobo had overclocked my processor FURTHER then what I had it set at… reset the mobo, resetup the overclocks and now magicalicaly the XMP profile works lol.

Yep lol quirky AMD motherboards

it’s intel actually, 9600k on a Gigabyte z390 gaming x.

it was a fairly new board when I bought it, not even any reviews out yet. (obviously there is now, but not then)

Motherboards are just the weak link it seems.

Never buying a cheap motherboard ever again.

The Gigabyte AX370 Gaming is legit terrible mess. It’s the cheapest X370 there was, I believe, and it shows.

I’m using the Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 and it’s great. So is my son’s ASRock Z370 Extreme4.

1 Like

I think my board is good (wasn’t cheap cheap) it’s just the bios revision was new so it’s a little wonky lol.

It’s 10+2 at least, so it’s ok for a decent overclock and the VRMs aren’t trash.

Short answer: Yes, it’ll give you a small boost in performance.