Do I need to use XMP?

Timings matter, i would personally get a 2933 kit if it’s in your budget and just tighten the timings a little.

Is it really though? Motherboard manufacturers are going nuts with the marketing on VRMs these days.

My Gaming 5 is “8+3” but it’s really just 4 + 3 with doubled components (no actual controller doublers) on the CPU side and 3 for iGPU.

My son’s Etreme4 is “12 phase (8+3+1)” which I believe is really just 4 for CPU doubled components (no controller doubler) + 3 for iGPU and 1 for system agent.

That said, despite the sky is falling folks, I’ve had no issues with my 1.355v OC 24/7 on my 8700k and 1.375v on my son’s 4.8ghz 8350k.

VRMs stay cool around 45c under typical load and only hit around 72 on full synthetic stress on mine. His is less.

Nah, i’ve actually looked into it, mine actually is. Think there is a bunch of iffy 370 boards though :S someone said MSI 370 boards are trash but their 390s are good.

It depends on the definition you accept.

Buildzoid thinks true phase needs a controller signal, a high and low mofset, and inductor for each signal. He thinks doubled components are fine to count watch as a phase as long as there is a phase doubler, though.

Some people think as long as you have a high and low mofset and an inductor, that counts. (My boards)

Some just count inductors.

I believe there were some shenanigans where one motherboard mfg was using 2 high mofsets + 2 inductors with only 1 low side, and they were calling it a phase.

/shrug, whatever works

what sucks is you can get an Aorus pro now for like 20 bucks more then what I paid for this lol.

1 Like

Should have went z370 asrock taichi

16 phase vrms, an absolute overkill on the z370 taichi

12 of the phases are double so 6 true ones, the rest on the SoC

I’m not even sweating it.

I think for regular users, unless we are talking absolute trash VRM, regular every day overclockers aren’t going to need such robust power delivery.

What you don’t want to see if you can get 5.2+ on that 8350k or even the 8700k?:joy:

Probably could with liquid cooling

1 Like

I already can get 5.2 on my 8700k, but i don’t want to hang at 1.43v all day lol.

5.0 is fine.

I think bigger issue with motherboards is BIOS features. Example that Gigabyte AX370 i have just has really trash features in the BIOS and lacks the fine tuning ability that better boards have. I don’t even think it’s a power delivery issue because when I can get the board to boot at 4ghz on the 1600, it is fine. it just gets stupid when it does post reboots.

Give this a try?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6znfdn/guy_is_creating_modified_bios_for_most_of/

Seen it before, he makes better custom bios for the gigabyte modern boards

2 Likes

I finally got it to a state where everything works as it should. But thanks!

Well,got it changed,went to re-install w10,and my usb wouldn’t work,tried to re-run the media creation tool and start fresh with the flash drive,it “wont run on my pc”.No idea why,but I’m heading out to pick up a new one and retry. My grandson’s pc,however,seems happy to boot into his old copy of w10,so I went ahead and tried out xmp,it works great,speed is 3000,I loaded the new mb drivers,it’s working nicely,I may leave it until morning so he can use it after school. So far,mostly good!

1 Like

Usb thing might just need a reformat of the stick before using the stick again

As far as reinstalling windows, not absolutely bnecessary with w10 but it will prob need to have new windows license key (or leave it on unactivated)

Just to update,after dealing with bronchitis for 2 weeks.Got everything done,I did have to purchase a new license key,but everything went well,XMP was easy and fast to use,things are running great.Thanks for the help and suggestions!

1 Like

Glad you got it sorted out and hope you feel better