Do Druids counter Mages?

As mostly a warrior player I’ve been always destroyed by mages. So I’ve been wondering who can partner up with me to fight mages and I heard somewhere feral druids can counter mages? Is this true?
Since druids are not a popular class there’s not been a lot to really tell if this is true or not.

2 Likes

Yes and no.

Earlier on they hard countered Mages by outliving them and making them oom.

With current gear Mages might have enough DPS to just outright kill them. The more geared you become the more the match swings to the Mages favor.

9 Likes

I’d say they do the best job since mages can’t CC a feral and can’t get away from them. It literally is a dps race.

1 Like

As a Fire Mage w/ 430 Fire damage, the only classes that I can’t outright blow up are Geared Paladins, Geared Hunters, and Geared Warriors. Everyone else I can kill in a burst combo.

2 Likes

I’m classic I’d say druids and shamam (shamans definitely) are a hard counter mages.
A good rogue can eat mage too, even without cloak of shadows (TBC talent)

A priest is good for a warrior when going against a mage because of dispel but a good mage will sheep the priest back to the flock

1 Like

You may be thinking of a dueling situation. Where yes druids will beat a mage the majority of the time. But in open world pvp everything is different. Partnering up with almost any healer will help you drop a mage. Druids are best just because they can’t be sheeped. Druids are also some of the best world pvpers because if they aren’t winning the fight can almost always dip out at any time they want to flee or reset.

2 Likes

A priest or a… mage.

1 Like

1 mistake as a rogue and you’re a sad, sitting, kited duck!

5 Likes

In my experience frost mages are not a problem, since you can’t be shattered (if you play right). Fire mages are very dangerous, since like someone else said, they can borderline global you if you’re not careful. Druids still can’t be cc’d by mages and have range advantage and heals, so its just a matter of proper spacing, since fire mages are squishier.

If partnering with someone, lock is always good. DC, felhunter, fear, making the mage use gcd to dispell curse. As far as druid vs mage if you arent getting globaled its just a matter of who oom’s first, or if the druid decides to escape

Hard counters to mages?

Shamans, most definitely. Even if you just stick with totems, auto-attacks, and rank 1 Earth Shock, you’ll ruin a mage’s whole day.
Hunters are a good counter to mages, since they have good ranged options, and a pet with a quick attack speed will hamper the mage’s cast times.
Warlocks have less range, but a couple dots, Curse of Tongues, Shadowbolt, and a Felhunter in the mage’s face will do the job, if they can get in range.
Obviously a Rogue who can get a stealth opening will be able to obliterate a mage, but otherwise the mage has the edge, due to their range and mobility.

The biggest problem with Mages is getting in range, and staying in range. Regardless of spec, all mages have access to instant cast things that they can use while in motion, some of which apply roots or slows in an AoE. That makes them a nightmare for melee classes. Ranged classes have less problem with a mage blinking about or hitting a frost nova, because they can keep up the damage.

I could see how a mage may struggle due to being unfamiliar with fighting druids, but druids have their own mana issues.

Mages are capable of so much burst and control that the only chance to reliably get a mage would be a geared feral getting the opening from stealth.

A mage can’t blow up a naked Paladin.

But Paladins would struggle to close range.

Priest can heal you and dispel what slows you or keeps you in place (their ice armor and frost nova)
Druids win duels vs frost mages
Mages can do almost nothing against locks

A skilled mage should always beat a shaman. Shock has 20 yard range, any mage who understands this can easily cs and sheep.

You specified melee, enhance is very easily kited. It’s their main reason the spec is a meme in PVP.

1 Like

6 second ranged interrupt for nearly free is kinda broken lol

2 Likes

I just use rank 1 frostbolts to range them, then spam 41 yard range scorches.

Shamans are pretty easy.

3 Likes

I personally never lose to mages. But I’m also resto with swiftmend so I can survive for a very long time against a mage. Haven’t played feral much in PvP yet but seems to me they’d do fine against a mage seeing as they can break snares and sheep’s quite easily.

Also, slap on a frost reflector and use it on a shatter combo. That’s how any class counters a mage.

never lost to a frost mage. just go bear for the pom pyro for these new fire mages and soak it n heal up and you win.

TBH i think druids counter legit every class but shamans and even then druids can easily win. being able to kite better then any class makes druids insanly annoying.

Priests are pretty tough to kill. They can eat up your hots AND your innervate. So I’d say priests are a counter to druids if there is one.

Fortunately they’re very easy to run away from :grin:

1 Like