Distance yourself respectfully

Well… Ethriel more… plays the opossum. It goes sort of like this:

15 Likes

Oh lord, that made me laugh. Thanks! :smiley:

What? :confused:

Could be a metaphor for a sad song or something?

And creating new ones just for 1 expansion was the best way to go about that? Did we really need Zovaal the wannabe big bad connected to nearly everything in the story so far? When it worked well without him for YEARS?

8 Likes

I like it as well! While I definitely understand the criticisms of those who didn’t like it, Shadowlands has been really great for me personally. The new Covenants and their characters were all very entertaining and even inspiring to me, and I like what they’ve done with many of the Azerothian characters as well. Anduin and Sylvanas especially! And that’s why I really enjoyed the new raid cinematic – well, that, and the incredible music that played during it ^.^

6 Likes

Yeah, I very much feel this. There’s way more in the story that I like than I dislike. And I very much appreciate that they’re prioritizing these big narrative arcs. It might not be for everyone, it definitely will be for me.

4 Likes

In order to tie all those knots up in one chapter, yes.

Except it wasn’t needed. Why do they need to be connected in such a convoluted way?

11 Likes

Arthas deserved better. He literally is the reason countless people played and still play this game to this day.

4 Likes

Amusingly enough, even when ICC was current content, people were surprised and generally pleased that Arthas did not get a redemption moment. He damned himself and his people, and his reward for that was (seemingly) oblivion. Dredging that storyline back up to prop up the blandest villain to ever enter this franchise (and boy is that saying a lot) was a terrible idea.

Forging a new chapter with new characters and new storylines is probably the best route forward. Even if I’m wrong about the current team somewhat resenting the old lore and creators, they have not demonstrated a capacity to carry those torches forward in a way that does it justice. So please, clear the board and show us what you can do.

6 Likes

Whelp I like the cut of the authors jib in this thread, while people may like the outcome of this cinematic, I and honestly a fair many i’ve seen in comment sections of the cinematic disliked it. But there is always a divide when a favored character gets such an ending, I am an Arthas fan. I dislike the ending of his tale and blizzard basically saying through Sylvanas “forget this guy.” I dislike how they’ve taken lore and characters I enjoyed from wc3 and not doing anything interesting with them.

Nerzhul an orc shaman who was manipulated then torn apart physically so his soul can serve as the lich king, gets permakilled in the raid not even getting a chance to help us even a little bit. KT? He became such a cliche of who he was I thought it was a Saturday morning cartoon villain, then you have the helm being changed into that garish crown, and frostmourne in a sense being changed at a fundamental level to no longer be a soul stealing blade. Instead it only takes pieces of one as we’ve seen with Uther and Syl, then the ending of Arthas and all the lore changes around him here. I would’ve much preferred to have them not even mention him, not even bring him up in the bastion trailer just to avoid this.

Now might call it “white knighting “ for Arthas and such, but a lot of Syl fans white knight for her atrocities so why can’t I? lol but Arthas had a better end in wrath when he asks his father if it’s finally over, like he for the first time has just woken from some terrible nightmare and sees only darkness for him. It was a sad ending, but could’ve been ambiguous enough to leave Arthas fans hope that he has found peace in the end only to have edge of night tear away any hope that the good that was left in him could find peace.

Well that’s enough of my rant though, feel free to tell me how wrong I am for having an opinion y’all and I don’t speak for other fans of Arthas, nor do I try and glean into the Minds of Syl fans cause y’all like what y’all like.

3 Likes

Oh and when I say syl fans white knighting for her atrocities, I mean the ones that are all “She burned all those innocent civilians for the greater good, praise the banshee queen.”

4 Likes

Not really when we played Wrath we were told Arthas was all that held the invasion of the scourge back.

And when the helmet was removed and frostmourne shattered Arthas on his dying breaths asked if it was finally over.
I always thought he meant “it” as a nightmare. He was a good fallen hero character to follow narratively and deserved his rest in death as an ending.

16 Likes

You and I had the exact same thought on that

They already did that with shadowlands. It was not very good.

2 Likes

Lordaeron falling to the Scourge is the exact nightmare scenario Arthas set out to prevent. It’s pretty hard to make an argument against him damning his people when taking up Frostmourne resulted in that exact nightmare scenario.

Shadowlands is still dominated by existing characters, especially Sylvanas and Anduin, and tried to maintain relevance by retroactively insisting Zovaal was behind everything in Warcraft ever. While none of that inspires much faith in any stories that might be churned out, it is still at the very least masquerading as Warcraft as we knew it, however poorly.

Suramar/ Broken isles was a better example, before the factions came in with their toxicity. Which was handled well early.
Further proof the factions are garbage and must be dissolved.

Omg Erriden, long time no see man.
How have you been?

I’m so sorry this story ended up dissapointing for you. You are absolutely one of the best Arthas fans, and a pleasure to talk with, even as a Sylvanas fan myself. You deserved better. :pleading_face:

No… we were told that the Scourge always needed a Master at the helm. The Scourge invasion at the pre-expac mini-event for Wrath was ALL under Arthas’ direction. Pretty much everything starts after Arthas rids himself of the other two tennants in his mind and he wakes up from sitting on the Frozen Throne for a decade.

He didn’t keep them penned in Northrend like Bolvar did. He unleashed them in flying necropoli on the major cities of Azeroth.

1 Like