Disc Priest back to the bottom of the pack

I will never forget this statement, lol.

Genuine question… is the nerfs really that dramatic to push priests to the middle of the pack?

Was thinking of switching to priest from resto Druid myself… but worried about what happened in BFA (nerf was too hard).

I’ve seen people question the strength of holy Paladins and Mistweaver/shaman still look meh

Power Word: Bottom

/sarcasm

6 Likes
Sadly it is. The SW:Death was nerfed massive
  • 1: There was an unlisted change where damage was reduced by ~50% and the Cooldown was reduced by ~50%, effectively halving its DPS/HPS
  • 2: The above is in addition the the ~15% dps nerf
  • 3: The reset mechanic for kills is additionally half as strong now as it only resets the newer ~60% weaker version
  • 4: you are half as likely to get a reset from a kill as it now does less than half its damage
    5: The legendary that made it any good now only affects Atonement if the mob is below 20% health, that’s an 80% HPS nerf, in addition to the ~60% hps nerf,
In Summary

Shadow Word: Death
Damage: ~60% nerf
Cooldown reset effectiveness: 75% nerf
Healing, if using legendary: ~90% nerf

It was obviously a little too powerful but this level of nerfing is a misguided overreaction. The power reduction would be equivalent to removing Swiftmend & Wild Growth from Druids.

2 Likes

What If we pretended PW death didn’t exist still. If they buffed other aspects of our healing to be more effective would this be acceptable? Or was the new death healing really so good outside 20% life? Because we’re killing ourself if we spam it so I’m genuinely asking as I didn’t get an opportunity to play beta.

As long as you were certain it wasn’t going to kill you it was 100% worth to use as much as possible. It was basically an instant cast light’s wrath on a 20 second cooldown that dealt damage back to you.

The healing always came before the reflect so you could be at 50%, chunk to full (yes it really healed that much) and then chunk back down to 50%. As long as you were safe to do it you just got an easy and free full heal on the party.

To answer question though, yes if they buffed other things with disc that allowed them to be more competitive in non raid environments it would be more acceptable. Even still, in regards to the legendary nerf itself (excluding our healing), I’m not sure how acceptable exactly as the legendary is very niche and not the safest choice anymore.

Players are now opting for the PI legendary to meme boost the DPS of their party members or the reflect shield legendary as you just get a decent damage bonus simply from applying shields like you always do. I saw Jak testing The Penitent One legendary but I really don’t think it’s that reliable. I probably won’t use it despite it being my favorite one.

Blizzard is pretty adamant about SW:D not being used as part of a typical DPS rotation. It’s supposed to be that execute button when targets are below 20%.

Latest version on the PTR explicitly states it doesn’t trigger atonement anymore.

Mind Blast got nerfed HARD on the PTR after the latest update.

Mind Blast description states for Disc: “Blasts the target’s mind for 651 Shadow damage, preventing the next 2,201 damage they deal.” The damage prevention thing is new.

Shadow Mind Blast does only 790 now and doesn’t have the damage prevention gimmick. It got a 50% damage nerf.

That’s interesting. I guess since Holy doesn’t have it, the change there ties its damaging power to Shadow Covenant. When not considering the damage prevention, that is.

Holy doesn’t have it, no… but as reference Holys smite hits for 654 and Holy Fire does 1,392 Holy Damage + 620 over 7 seconds.

Holy Fire is the hardest hitting baseline Priest ability for all 3 specs right now outside of SWD and that’s a meme.

I see what happened there :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

What’s the issue with Disc?

It’s not resto druid.

Joke aside, Disc will be fine in Shadowlands. It was never at the bottom and it won’t be at the bottom come SL.

3 Likes

Disc WAS at the bottom in BFA, towards the end it was ONLY good at one type of content that MOST of the player base does not engage in: Mythic Raiding. You had to have a Holy set and chops to do M+ unless you were with a high dps, talented group of players. It was and looks to be once again, a ONE TRICK PONY. Better get gear for BOTH Disc and Holy if you plan to heal on a priest come SL. Im not going to be fooled once again with this expac.

Disc wasn’t at the bottom. Our other healing spec, Holy was.

Although I’m not sure that exactly makes me feel better.

The meta change in Shadowlands is mostly going to be with being able to dispel affixes and mind soothe.

I’m not sure where this is coming from. Disc was a top dog at the beginning of BfA and after Blood DK and Disc were both nerfed it moved to middle leaning low in the pack for two patches and when corruption was released it went to middle leaning high in the pack. It’s has been fine throughout BfA. Holy was definitely worse throughout the entire expansion in M+.

Disc is going to be stronger in SL than it was in BfA. Top dog? Well, it’s not resto druid, so no. It’s much better off moving into SL though.

2 Likes

I think you will find most people will have those separate pces of gear. I know this xpac i had a holy set, disc set, shadow set and disc mythic plus set. All with separate Azerite pces.

But as to bottom they weren’t even close. Spirit of preservation, ERT and lucid dreams helped fill any gaps disc had in keys.

As a once main to MW Monk and having disc scream about needing to be the best dmg to heal healer causing MW to be as it is now…i morbidly wish this news were true just out of feeling vindictive from that back in the day ruination of our class and uniqueness going all to disc and leaving MW a shell…its bad of me but I want revenge! /sarcasm
I wish blizz would stop with extream over nerfing and just make small tweeks and buff those far down…also being more vocal to classes and specs riddled with bugs and not getting changes all alpha and beta. Y’all got a dps redesign thats something…monks have lost again and may as well be deleted at this point xP.

1 Like

Yeah Monks did get dunked on real hard for Shadowlands. Which is a shame. I love Mistweaver almost as much as I love Disc.

Mistweaver will also be fine, even better than before with the yu’lon/chi’ji change. It just sucks they didn’t get the attention they actually deserved. Honestly no healer got any attention it actually deserved.

3 Likes