Did they ever explain

How a zombie with a bow manages to 1v1 a High Priestess turned Avatar of the God of Vengance?

6 Likes

Yes, they did. They needed an explanation for a warfront because they needed to create content, but even they said that it was almost necessary from an OOC perspective, pure IC, if it wasn’t necessary, Tyrande would propably Nathanos have been destroyed.

I think it was like
 Val’kyr magic. I dunno, it was plot armor more than anything. I spent months being aggravated over how that entire Darkshore intro was handled, but at this point I’m pretty much just numb.

15 Likes

This, can’t kill Sylvanas’ boy toy. Val’kyr have always been portrayed as powerful, but to be on the level of an actual WoW Deity empowerment? Sounds like big BS. Even if that Val’kyr was killed, you can’t just fight Malfurion Stormrage and Tyrande Whisperwind (as the Night Warrior no less) as if it was no one’s business.

I’ve heard ‘‘but da Jailer surely must have done something’’ even if that was the case it still feels amazingly forced.

18 Likes

It’s made even worse now that the Val’kyr have been potentially been made into something freely replicable again. It wasn’t much, but taking down a Val’kyr was at one time a big hit to Sylvanas and the Forsaken. Now she can just photocopy another one.

So essentially, the Night Warrior accomplished nothing.

14 Likes

It served its purpose. To validate Nathanos as strong of a character as the likes of Tyrande, Malfurion and Elune.

3 Likes

because players plot armor.

without nathanos, jaina would have killed the horde players in the raid.
now the question is, do we needed nathanos in darkshore?.

Because dropping Nathanos’ hp a bit was the revenge of the Night Elves. You know the revenge for having their entire civilization wiped out and tortured.
That and killing a recreatable Val’kyr. That was their entire revenge.

They had to do something special for Night Elf fans to have justice for Teldrassil, and they deemed that as appropriate. Achieving absolutely nothing! And then they proudly stated that the Night Elves got their revenge

5 Likes

Bad writing. But seriously, Tryande should have smote Nathanos off Azeroth, Hell even Malfurion should have been able to do it himself seeing as even Legion Demons feared Malfurion and I doubt Nathanos is as strong as the Legion Demons that feared Malfurion. If they wanted to do it right and keep Nathanos alive while also showing off Tryande’s night warrior power, what should have happened is she and Mal show up, Nathanos drools about Sylvanas like he always does, then Tryande basically obliterates both of those Val’kyr instantly causing Nathanos to flee immediately. That would have shown how powerful Tyrande was while also keeping Nathanos alive, but instead we got a Jobbers match between Malfurion, the most powerful Druid alive, Tyrande, blessed with the power of a literal God, and Nathanos, expert bow man.

7 Likes

“a zombie with a bow”

Don’t you people ever get tired of making such obviously bad-faith arguments?

11 Likes

We do see chains similar to what was in the cinematic in use there. At the time it was a /shrug because sure why wouldn’t they have spooky chains?

But in retrospect I think it’s actually not a bad tease at what comes next. Amadis detailed this more in a post I’ll quote here.

But, yeah this actually seems more like a tease for SL than blatant lore abuse with that in mind. I’m not in the habit of giving Blizz good faith here and people weren’t wrong to just assume it was a plot hole. But - doesn’t seem like it was with that in mind.

2 Likes

Tyrande has new found powers, that she is inexperienced in using, she’s not used to the night warrior mojo. Meanwhile Nathanos is an ultra elite assassin, who possibly got some power from Sylvanas deal with the Jailor.

There is nobody in the Horde, except maybe Sylvanas, who could 1v1 powered-up Tyrande, and they didn’t want to use Sylvanas, for whatever reason. And TBH, I think some people would still be crying if Tyrande had one-shotted Nathanos, because they’d be saying that wasn’t proof that she was any stronger, because she should have always been able to one-shot him even without the power-up.

The explanation is that they wanted to write a specific kind of scene and there wasn’t a suitable character in the Horde for the kind of scene they wanted to have. That’s all there is to it. Don’t overthink it.

7 Likes

If we go by feats shown, there is a lot of horde people who could beat Tyrande 1vs1. Hell, Saurfang, by feats, beats Tyrande.

1 Like

Not if you count novels, where she decimates entire armies. And that’s pre-powerup.

And even if you say Saurfang beats pre-powerup Tyrande by feats, she’s supposed to be infused with the power of a goddess, which is supposed to be a big deal. Saurfang has never been shown by feats to be on god-infused power level, and in A Good War he knew he didn’t stand a chance against Malfurion, who is pretty close to that level if not on it.

11 Likes

No they didn’t. The explanation it’s pretty much this

and this.

Who even on her worse day, Tyrande could squash like a bug.

I don’t know, I think it would have been accurate. And in any case at least that one shot would have had some dramatic flare.

But do you think she could have done it before the power-up? If you say no, I’m gonna find that hard to believe, given what I’ve seen of your opinions in other other posts.

There just isn’t a suitable figure in the Horde to give the “Worf Effect” that nelf fans want. (Worf Effect: A powerful creature shows up and beats up the strongest guy among the established characters to impress the audience. “Wow, that new guy must be SUPER-POWERFUL if he can beat Worf!” is how the thought process is supposed to go. The Horde doesn’t have a suitable Worf.)

4 Likes

Maybe not even a one shot, could have been like ‘‘BOOM’’ beamed to the ground. When she is about to finish him a Val’kyr comes flying to take him away, and Tyrande manages to one-shot one of 'em while the other one teleports the rest or something.

1 Like

The problem is, you are assuming Elune is an ultra powerful being, when we’ve seen other beings in Warcraft be labled “gods” and not have an ultra impressive showing. Perhaps the fact Tyrande couldn’t beat Nathanos shows Elune is not a cosmic level being equal to the Titans, but rather a “niche” goddess with certain unique abilities. Xal’atath speaks diminutively about Elunes powers, and she’s just a knife.

1 Like

Counterpoint: We have no reason to think she’s weaker than whatever is empowering Malfurion (Cenarius?).

3 Likes