Did the BFA Story Make You Change Faction?

Especially because Edge of Night establishes that she believes Garrosh is using the invasion as a means to grind the Forsaken to nothingness against the Worgen.

At first she doesn’t care, but then we she realizes the Forsaken are her only hope of avoiding damnation she gets back up and assumes command.

The Worgen never mattered to Sylvanas. Her motivations may have been selfish, but when she commanded that army she absolutely was not the architect of the invasion of Gilneas and was far from an enthusiastic participant - just a highly motivated one.

She isn’t using the blight to kill indiscriminately because she likes to, she doesn’t rage when the Worgen use ambush tactics because it’s a personal slight - she’s doing these things because her motivation, which we know because it is shown to us directly is to prevent the Forsaken from being eradicated by this conflict.

Sylvanas did a lot of shady dook but the Gilneas campaign and her affections on display there are one of the strongest reasons why BfA is such a failure of her character.

9 Likes

I think I get what you’re saying, but maybe you can clarify, since I’m genuinely curious.

This is a fantasy game. Magic, elves, trolls, dwarves, werewolves, moon deities, animal gods, elemental spirits. All of those are the trappings of myths and fairy tales. Why is the existence of good people the insurmountable thing?

8 Likes

Then I don’t think we have anything further to say on the topic, because we’ve reached an impasse. Cheers.

Faction change in WoW, no, I am still Alliance. But…

^^^From half of the time to full. For Coin and Country, until I can fly my colours for Ishgard.

1 Like

I haven’t touched my character in a while (and I haven’t even hit level 60 yet), but I also have a FFXIV account and a character I play on and off:

Switching feels to much like letting the Blzzard “win”. Silly, but it affects my enjoyment of the game.

I unsubscribed for a while. Friends talked me back in and I got 6 months of time as a Xmas present. Still thinking of unsubscribing. I have pretty much decided that unless something really changes (and I’m not even sure it can) for the next expansion, I will arrange with my friends to either play a different game or keep one character on Horde for social purposes only.

1 Like

Cause everything you mention can be actually complex and represent both good and bad things (dwarves, elves, magical animals, etc. aren’t morally good by default).

The one dimensional white knights on the other hand are only useful for the kindergarten esque lessons on morality that comprises the whole of BfA. And as I said I kinda outgrew those a looong time ago. I don’t need bad anime shonen heroes nor hypocritical Disney princesses telling me what types of choices are or aren’t “baddy” as if I were a brat still ffs…

1 Like

I’m slowly moving towards the Horde because the Alliance has no Identity at all.

Plus I’m also sick of Dark Elf Theme races on there as well.

Yes, at the start of the expansion I went from a night elf demon hunter to an undead rogue.

It was Anduin’s fault. And also the Horde always gets the good story in faction war expansions, so…

I don’t want to say I went back to the Alliance, it was that I just happened to grind out all the fat human rep on a human paladin after I finished grinding the Zandalari one. I’m really just waiting until I am able to roll a Zandalari to stay on the Horde for good, at least until Anduin’s become interesting/dies.

FINALLY SOMEONE SAYS IT.

Honestly, i wouldn’t mind it if Nathanos had a genuine bone to pick with the horde player- like their continued association with Alliance’s VIPs like Malfurion or Brann, or if their overconfidence in their powers/skills messed up one of his plans…

Nope, Nathanos The Hedgeheg is just too cool 4 school

3 Likes

You re-rolled Alliance when discovered that Garrosh was going to kick the dirty trolls and shekel-elves out of Orgrimmar two expansions before it happened?

Why would someone just lie on the internet?

“Kick out” are your words. Mine were “Garrosh became Warchief and racially segregate Org.”

During late Wotlk, it was no surprise that Garrosh would become Warchief. I didn’t like him to begin with, for various reasons. His treatment of Non Orcs within the Horde was only one of the reasons. I didn’t want to play in the Horde with him as Warchief, until it was confirmed we would be deposing him.

The revamp of Org was also known about during the lead up to Cata. The new Org was being racially divided as it was revamped, and as Garrosh came to power.

Here’s a description of Org after the revamp, From Gamepedia:

Most of the various races have separated into their own districts, from the tauren in the Valley of Wisdom to the trolls in the Valley of Spirits.

And here’s a more pointed description of the changes in Orgrimmar as Garrosh was being given leadership, from Wowhead, for what ever that is worth:

Orgrimmar has seen a drastic visual update, which many Horde players should be thankful for. However, these changes come through the newly appointed leadership of the brash Garrosh Hellscream as Warchief of the Horde. Garrosh has selectively evicted most all non-Orcs NPCs from the center of the city. He will be occupying the center of Orgrimmar now.

So, yes. It was becoming clear to me how the Horde would be changing under Garrosh in late Wrath and the approach to Cata. Events proved that where there is smoke, there can be fire. I wanted no part in it.

2 Likes

Some of that doesn’t mesh entirely well with the idea that Garrosh’s character became a villain because he was so badly bungled.

There’s something to be said about why a bit of racial segregation and special attention is necessary for some of the races of the Horde. The races of the Horde are unified by a very specific set of very important ideals (survival, brotherhood, honor, etc) but they all have very different needs. To pretend that what a troll needs is the same as what a Tauren needs, or what an Orc needs is anything near what an elf or Forsaken needs is fool-hardy.

In the sense that providing districts that are specialized to each of the Horde’s races wasn’t a red flag because trolls need a place to be trolls, not orcs. Elves need a place to be elves, not little, pink-skinned orcs.

The line about eviction was as bit weird, because it definitely wasn’t carried out very well. There were elves, Tauren, and Forsaken in Grommash Hold as long as Garrosh was. And if there wasn’t that little tag line about selective eviction, no one would’ve thought it was weird considering who those races were in there to represent.

1 Like

Joined WoW at the start of Cataclysm on the Horde side but during WoD swapped over to the Alliance. Stayed Alliance main up until I completed the Tides of Vengeance war campaign…

First the whole Grong thing. I know I’ve gotten WQs while on my Alliance characters to murder those gorillas. Yet the gorillas blame the Horde solely for attacking them and have no problem working with someone that was literally stabbing them 5 minutes ago?

Then at the Battle of Dazar’alor it feels like War of the Thorns Part Two. Trick the enemy army into rushing to the wrong location? Check. Storm the area that now is left with some guards and citizens? Check. Confront racial leader? Check. Only differences are that Malfurion survived his attack (thanks Saurfang) and Dazar’alor isn’t a giant tinderbox. Yet somehow the Alliance leaders still feel superior to the Horde. What, it’s okay when you do it? Only thing they even accomplished was killing Rastakhan and some, not all, of the Zandalari ships! Congrats guys, you gave the Zandalari a stronger Queen and made them hate you even more!

Long live the Horde.

2 Likes

Laughs in teldrassil

(In all seriousness i almost feel bad replying to what is most likely bait. To compare the pre patch and the current raid is akin to comparing DIO to hotel transylvania’s dracula- move along )

3 Likes

I have no desire to change faction. My problem is with the quality of the plot and gameplay, I’m not even having a good experience as a Horde player in BfA, I just enter the game to make achievements and old content and I only played the warcampaign in a single character until now.

Teldrassil is exactly my point. I only experienced the Alliance side of the pre-patch and I thought that it was well written. Felt actual pain for the Night Elves, their loss. When we went into the burning tree trying to save people, seeing how hopeless it was and how many we could not get to, I hated the Horde. I was disappointed with how Lordaeron then turned out because I wanted the Alliance to get revenge. If someone had told me during War of the Thorns that I’d end up swapping back to Horde I’d have laughed in their face.

So it felt shameful to then turn around and act similarly. Telaamon deserved better, all those troops sacrificed in Namir deserved better.

I do not understand how the Alliance came to the conclusion that this raid would drive the Zandalari from the Horde or even weaken relations. Can’t really count the Dazar’alor raid as revenge for Teldrassil either since the Zandalari had no part in that.

This thread is about if the current expansion caused anyone to change factions. I did and just felt like posting so I could be counted, no one has to agree with me. ¯\(ツ)

7 Likes

Again, to present Teldrassil as similar to Dazar’alor is simply being disingenuous and, again, to compare DIO to hotel transylvania’s dracula.

I simply cannot take you seriously.

Fine, for the sake of the argumente lets compare how things went down, ok?

-The nelves and the Alliance at large werent officially at war when they were attacked and the pre patch happened. The Zandalari have been butting heads with the Alliance since Cata if im not mistaken and were already helping the horde attack kultiras when the raid happened

-Anduin gave explicit orders to avoid civilian casualties when possible (even though a few dark iron ignored them behind his back). The horde maximized civilian casualties by commiting genocide on a place explicitly said to contain only defenless ppl, Hypocritefang got ptsd nam flashbacks and Sylv herself thought that her actions would change nelves forever.

-Rastabro never helped the alliance and he still got the choice to surrender and live (regardless of how empty that life might have been). Malfurion has worked with the horde in the past and was so neutral he was basically a futurama meme… he got an axe to the back for his troubles.

To quote the punisher: “Ma’am, do you always serve bull**** here… or is that just her?”

The whole point of the war campaign and the raid is to defang the Zandalari, secure the naval superiority of Kul’Tiras, and (if possible) make it so the zandalari are unable to fight the Alliance or simply think its not worth the trouble. 2/3 isnt so bad for me

Thats the part thats makes you sound baity, bc its obviously false

1 Like