Did most of the decent players quit?

Was leveling up a tank warrior, and my god. Dps and healers standing in crap. Turn mobs that do frontal cleave, and melee dps moves up to the front, instead of staying behind them. Most of the runs, I tell the healer if they stand in crap, dont move from the Aoe, remember concentrate heals on the tank, Tank dies we wipe. Better to let a few dps die over the tank. Just simple basic things, and people are like duh.

I can tell you never really played FF14. You have to weave Ogcd in with Gcd. For combos, its a very skill based game to maximize your dps, heals, or damage mitigation as a tank. You end up with most classes weaving together thirty abilities or more when done right.

3 Likes

FF predates WOW lol. FFXI was released in 2003 while WOW came out in 2004. The FFXI players are/were VERY different people than WOW players.

Why do you think they failed?

Playing Dark Knight effectively in FFXIV is 3 times harder than any tank in WOW.

WOW is pretty much FFXIV-lite at this point.

3 Likes

Yup, also the dungeons get incrementally harder fast as you level, so once you get to end game. You pretty much are good to go, with how mechanics work. WoW the dungeons really do not get hard till you are near end game with Mythic plus. No real learning curve in WoW. Which is why you see so many button spammers with no clue.

1 Like

NO DOUBT Blizz has attempted to force (perhaps very very deeply encourage) all players to do dungeons, raids, and PVP so the result is being in those activities with players who might find it easier to tolerate having dead babies piled up in their living rooms. Crafters almost have to do dungeons or raids to cap professions, or to be able to work them efficiently. Some plans or patterns (B/S) are only available at level 2 or 3 from PVP vendors. Some crafting materials are B.O.P. and only obtainable in dungeons or raids,
When I am backed to a wall and have to go into a dungeon for something I will BUT I hate hate Hate HATE having to be in there. All I want to do is get the item that I need and get to F out.
It is probabaly not fair to force a serious dungeoneer to work a dungeon with players who do not care about and have absolutely no interest at all in completion of the dungeon. Blizz has created this situation, so please do not take it out on some poor player who has been thrust into the situation.

2 Likes

You don’t enter a vehicle if you’re afk. And again, it’s not freaking complicated. Color over my head, hmm maybe i should hit the button that matches! I’m a freaking genius!

I’ve watched plenty of top tier DPS videos. I know what I’m talking about. Just because you have a sequence and rotation that involves more skills to push doesn’t make it more skillful. The combat is slow paced, period. Reaction time and snap decision making, a’la FPS, is the pinnacle of video game skill. All other aspects can be easily learned and mastered.

I don’t know anything about tanks because I don’t care. The dungeons have more mechanics to avoid, etc, than most wow content, but high m+ keys, heroic raids, etc (all the content I care about) have plenty of that stuff.

This is an example of top tier play
/watch?v=-brDer8T3RA
And it’s boring AF.

Lets not forget players skill and addons have evolved. Blizzard had to make the encounters hard to combat addons telling us when everything was going to happen. The smartest thing they could have done to prevent this was to not allow addons from the start. Then on a base level everyone would have always been equal with no outside advantage.

WOW do you really believe that they should not have ADD-ONS Get you r stop watch ready here is what you will do one at a time bring on each of 14 toons and bring them to a bank open your bank and check the count of spirits of harmony on each. write down how many each one has. when you have done that repeat the process 5 more times to determine the inventory count on 5 other items. After you have completed the 70 log-ons, traveled to a bank and searched your bags , your reagent bank and all of your bank bags and written down the numbers and logged off click the stop button on your stop watch. I can guarantee that after you have done that 6 or 7 times a day, you would install an inventory add-on

My add-ons save me many hours every day.

I have a mage that got killed over 200 times doing the Drustvar quests alone after getting to level 120 . The nearly 1000 times killed getting that toon to exalted in all 6 areas did cost a lot of gold for repairs. SO it is not just press and succeed.

Add on’s should go.

They have led to an arms race of complexity of fights vs the add ons.

This has destroyed much of the game.

And, yes, get a pen and paper and count the spirits of harmony!!!

2 Likes

Addons only exist because blizzard is horrible at advertizing and designing visible queues for things.

A line of text as the boss says something amidst 123076765 sound effects? Not getting noticed unless it’s stupid obvious.

A spell effect on the ground you need to avoid? Yeah, sure. I can see that through, consecration, blizzard, death and decay, whatever the DH crap is. Not.

Maybe if they designed things with proper queues that could be properly reacted to, similar to dark souls, I wouldn’t need addons.

Know what fight I didn’t use addons on? Mage tower challenge. In addition to there just not being a DBM module for it by the time I actually finished it (week 1), I was alone and didn’t have tons of other crap obscuring my attention. Boom. One of the most complex fights, with no addons needed!

They quit because blizzard stopped trying to make a game for an average player. They instead make a game that has several different communities in mind with activities designed to cater to such groups. This then leads to a polarization of desirable activities, with people focusing on what makes them the most happy, with blizzard trying to minimize the downsides of said activities for those that don’t like them.
AP farming designed to keep those that want to min-max always on the wheel, with AK catchups that ensure those that don’t play enough don’t get far behind. What does that do everyone that falls in the middle? They are faced with ridiculously high goals in comparison to prior expansions, and if the average invested player stops for a bit they’ll find that their effort is all for naught when the less invested catches up.

That generates futility and apathy to the whole affair.
Catering to the tail ends of the population spectrum has caused a depression/population loss of everyone in the middle. And it is where I see that this game has gone wrong.

2 Likes

it’s wow. there were never decent players.

1 Like

The classes have gotten very vanilla to be honest with most at sit and wait to use moves besides the azurite gear sucks.

By this very statment. This is false. By retail people wantinf to play classic. By your own statement. They want to work for something.its not that they are lazy in retail and hard working in classic.

As long as LFD has existed low level groups have been bad. Back in Wrath, a lot of people were actually new and you had to help them understand their role. Then, as dungeon content in the later expansions became round up the group and AoE them down, people expected to run instances with actual mechanics in the same way they ran max level dungeons. No consequences for bad behavior.

2 Likes

Wow I don’t know how long it would take you log off of one toon perhaps change realms and then log on to an other toon and get the toon to a bank but in some cases depending on which Xpac zone I am in and which one I am going to that can take up to 6 minutes. doing that for all 14 toons for 5 different mats is 70 times is well over 6 hours How often are you comfortable with 6 hour que times for dungeons, raids, or BGs

I am going to guess that you would not be willing to volunteer for a 4 month program of 5 hour minimum que times in order to see if that had a negative impact on your game.