Dialogues missing in Shadowlands and BFA (text and spoken)

Hey guys, blue responded to the thread titled “Shadowlands NPC’s No Dialogue.” That was posted on the technical support forum. They said they are aware of the issue and will update us when they can. I know this isn’t a solution, but at least they are acknowledging it is on their end , I am optimistic that they will fix it soon!

6 Likes

Experiencing the same issue. I am a classic player that recently decided to give the retail game another go and was wanting to check out the Shadowlands storyline etc. I’m missing a ton of it because of this bug and a lot of stuff just isn’t making sense. Real good impressions for someone who against all odds decided to give retail another chance!

2 Likes

Was hoping it was fixed on Tuesday maintenance, now hoping for a hot fix !

2 Likes

I just resubbed to play through Shadowlands for the first time and ran into this issue as well. I was really confused when those long awkward silences came when it told me to listen to a certain NPC. Like some others have mentioned, I disabled “Dialog” in the sound settings to at least get the chat text back. Really hoping they fix this soon because I like the sound dialog as well and it feels less immersive without it.

5 Likes

Same problem here. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

2 Likes

Might as well throw in my own little list from today. Probably superfluous, since it sounds like this is a systemic problem more than a single bugged quest, but I figure detail can’t hurt.

• Finding Margrave Krexus in Among the Chosen was silent until Baron Vyraz’s “This mortal claims…” line.

• No NPCs spoke for about 30 seconds after handing in The Maw to Bolvar Fordragon.

• Darion Mograine was silent until his first reply to Ve’nari in The Brand Holds the Key.

• Ve’nari’s line when starting Wake of Ashes was delayed such that they spoke over the Mograines’ dialogue.

• Draka did not respond to Alexandros regarding Margrave Krexus after handing in Maw Walker

4 Likes

Great comprehensive list!

2 Likes

same issue here.

4 Likes

For all who haven’t please submit a ticket and also visit the tech forums and post on the thread titled “Shadowlands NPC’s no dialogue”. This is the post that blizzard responded to and said that they will update us on. I know they are busy with WoTLK but we need to remind them of how many people this is affecting and that the problem hasn’t resolved itself

3 Likes

Sure would like to know what the Primus’ message/warning was. Or how the Winter Queen responded to it.

Ah well.

5 Likes

I have the same problem

Several dialogs from the Chains of Domination campaign are missing. You don’t even see the text appear. There’s just a long pause and then one of the NPCs responds but we don’t know the context because half of the dialogue is missing. It really ruins the immersion.

Please fix it !

7 Likes

Same thing is occuring to me. the windrunner sisters conversation after judgement wont play. I can hear bolvar and talia’s conversation in oribos but in their previous conversation I only get bolvar’s final dialog to play after a minute of silence in zereth mortis. Either the programing isn’t pulling up the proper sound and dialog files in the proper order, or something is causing them to error out and return some 404 errors that we cant see as players.

3 Likes

Bumping this cause this is game breaking

3 Likes

I tried disabling “Dialog” in settings but still couldn’t even get the chat bubbles/chat within chat window to appear.

Unless there’s something I’m missing with that workaround.

Hoping WotLK classic is timed perfectly to keep returning players as far away from Shadowlands as possible. The goal should be to try to get them interested to play for Dragonflight and on at this point, I guess.

2 Likes

Don’t worry, it’ll probably get fixed in time for patch 10.1.
:dracthyr_hehe_animated:
Seriously, this bug’s been around for probably at least a month or two now. I’m guessing they’re just not going to fix it until at least DF pre-patch?

I get that it’s probably extremely difficult to pin down the issue and even harder to justify fixing this bug while DF needs to be finished by the end of the year, but it really doesn’t feel great for the dialogue to just not trigger.

I’d say that considering WoW is one of the very few last subscription model MMO makes it so that game breaking bugs like that should be attended in priority. That’s the kind of bug that would have been squashed within a week back in vanilla/tbc/wotlk era. We are not talking about some minor glitch. We’re talking about something that prevents progression when you actually care about the story of the game you are playing AND paying a monthly fee to experience

4 Likes

I had been hoping a simple scan and repair would fix this, but seeing how many others are also having the problem, I doubt it’ll actually help.
I am playing through shadowlands for the first time and it is painfully obvious that npc dialogue both voice and text are missing, it’s very disheartening to feel like I’m missing key points of story when the npcs stand there mute when I’m supposed to be listening to them for the quest.
Really hope this gets fixed sooner rather than later, should not have made it to the live version of the game in the first place.

2 Likes

Never said that this shouldn’t be a higher priority. Historically, they’ve been slow to fix bugs like this, though.

For example, there’s also quests where NPCs no longer load in correctly, like the side quests with the Sea Giants in the arena for instance, the opponents you face don’t spawn until they get thrown into the arena. I think Thrall doesn’t load in properly when you first encounter him in the Maw, either. I think he just suddenly spawns in when you accept a quest from Jaina.

They’ve also left player models bugged for entire patches, too. Female Undead toes for the non-bony skin types have been bugged the ENTIRE expansion.

It took them a long time to fix a cutscene in Nazmir, too. Think it was broken for like a month or something.

The Worgen starting experience continually degrades in quality, with little done to fix the issues there like broken AI pathing, NPCs not spawning correctly, etc.

I think issues like these should be made a higher priority. People do care about things like quest dialogue working correctly, NPCs spawning and pathing correctly, their character models not having bugged animations, etc.

1 Like

I am also having this issue. Not much to add other than adding my voice to the people who want a fix.

2 Likes

Thank you for adding your voice. Hopefully Blizzard acknowledges this soon. In game ticket if possible.

2 Likes