Dialogues missing in Shadowlands and BFA (text and spoken)

so I decided to finish the Shadowlands storyline and honestly? The fact this is still happening and ruining MEANINGFUL dialog between characters is nothing short of INFURIATING!

edit: Literally ALL BUT ONE “Stay a while and listen” is nothing then silence as two characters just . . . stare at each other with a slight musical que or one character speaking and met with silence by the other. The only one that seems to work is the final dialog between Taelia and Bolvar . . . I mean all the Taelia Bolvar dialog BEFORE this is nothing but silence but hey the last one works so I guess its all fine right? How does this even happen? Seriously? Because as someone who was playing for the actual story? My ONLY true reward for finishing the story is nothing but silence and broken dialog.

5 Likes

I thought this was an issue caused due to my Addon’s, but it was still happening after disabling them all. It sucks, but I am a little bit reassured that others have the same issue and its nothing broken my end. How long has this been an issue? My other thought before addon’s was did they break the alliance side of things as i played on horde for most of BFA and only noticed the deafening silence of scripted speech when i did the alliance bfa story quests. Hope they fix this issue soon.

4 Likes

A couple months or so :confused:

Dropping in to post again, although it looks like it’s definitely gotten a lot of visibility. Thinkin we just want the game to do well at this point, esp if some of the more on the fence wrath classic returners were to dip their toes back into current WoW.

3 Likes

It’s honestly baffling that such a huge bug that’s spanning game-wise is allowed to fester like this. It’s unfair to new and returning players. Especially those who wont have time to go and do these quests again on alts.

Or ever worse, miss out on ONE TIME ONLY quests that cease to be repeatable on your account. I saw that the Worgen Heritage Armor quest is completely broken, and you can only do that quest once.

“Going to youtube” is not an option or a “work-around”.

5 Likes

Well I’m throwing the towel. I came back to Wow after a long 6 years break not to sure I could get any fun out of it. To me, the game changed too much from what it used to be, but the Warcraft lore has always been my main interest. I own many books and I don’t skip quests and dialogs when I play to make sure I don’t miss anything.

So I put in a month and did Legion which was mostly fine. Then put in a second month and started in BFA… And that bug is everywhere. Everywhere. It sucks, it’s frustrating and clearly Blizzard will make us wait for 10.0 for the fix. Well I’m not gonna accept that. At 20$ a month, I can get many fun games that are in better state like Final Fantasy XIV.

And I know it will take me a very very long time before I give Wow and Blizzard for that matter, another chance. And to think I used to worship Blizzard games :pensive:

3 Likes

I feel really bad for you. I too used to worship Blizzard for the polished games and impeccable lore.

After a good 5 years away from the game, I played some WotLK Classic (didn’t enjoy much) and gave a try to Retail once more. I decided, for the first time, to enjoy the lore and read the quests while leveling and everything was going smooth until I encountered this bug for the first time during Cyrus Crestfall introductory quest in BfA. Lost an entire night trying to find a workaround to no success, googled and found this and the other thread on Technical Support.

My feeling is similar to yours, literally feeling insulted for a bug of this magnitude running rampant for almost 2 months while we see daily hotfix patches of Blizzard being 100% focused on Classic for minor bugs that literally no one cares about.

Not only this bug but I’ve seen a couple other bugs that are literally game-breaking on Retail (halt progression in any form) being untouched FOR MONTHS OR YEARS. Here’s an example:

So, I repeat, what on earth happened to Blizzard quality control? Retail is a mess. Game-breaking bugs running around FOR MONTHS OR YEARS and we see 0 interest from the company to do something about it.

6 Likes

This is happening to myself, my best friend, my wife, my wife’s friend, my brother in law, and his significant other. I introduced, or reintroduced, them all to the game and their experience has definitely been impacted because of it sadly. I had been wanting to play this game with all of them hence why I brought them to the game, but it has definitely been more of a slog since the dialogue has been missing in random parts.

My wife and I currently use addons, but none of the other 4 people do, nor have they since they first installed/reinstalled, so we know it’s not due to addons. It’s been an extremely disappointing experience for us, especially myself who went through the storylines months ago when the dialogue was working, because I really enjoyed it and wanted my friends and family to enjoy it as well. I hope it gets fixed soon since I want them to stick around and play the game with me. If this happens in Dragonflight as well… I don’t know if any of us will stick around, since most of us, if not all six of us, enjoy story and open world content more than we enjoy raiding or mythics.

8 Likes

Just this morning, for the first time, started Shadowlands and so far about half or 1/3 of the quests have this issue.

I was annoyed when this happened occasionally in BfA quests over the last week as I have just come back to the game, but it’s on another level in Shadowlands.

Ironically, when I go to YouTube to see these quest’s dialogues, I see that these quests were working fine in beta Shadowlands. Well, they’re broken now. Got to appreciate that Blizzard polish.

5 Likes

This is the kind of issue that can turn a player off forever. Especially when it’s explained away as “minor”.

Quests are the mainstay of Warcraft, there’s nothing minor about them being broken. If quests don’t work, the game doesn’t work.

6 Likes

Yup. Took me everything to convince myself to come back in the first place cause I am burned of Wow beyond words. I knew I would not have the same fun I once had specially with how Wow is nowadays. The lore is what was the convincing factor.

Of course, it’s well established now that lore is impossible to follow now, and worse, Blizzard has disregarded that issue completely. This to me shows the reality of what the beloved company Blizz once was has become and I just don’t see myself trusting them for Wow anymore. Not until I see them raise their standards of quality to what they used to me… but I believe that may be utopic…

5 Likes

I enjoy the lore and the stories, so to not hear what was said is kinda disappointing. Is there any record out there of what was said? It would be nice to replay or restart them if they don’t work the first time. I checked Wowhead and didn’t find anything.

2 Likes

Unfortunately youtube isn’t always reliable when it comes to recorded dialogue, so if you’re ever told “just youtube it” it’s not a guarantee for every interaction. I was seeking some Covenant campaign missing dialogue for Necrolords and not a single video had the missing conversation I was after.

4 Likes

I would not be able to say it better myself. Agree 100%!

4 Likes

Can someone bring this to bellulargaming on Twitter? We need some notoriety for blizzard to take some action

4 Likes

That’s a great idea. He is one who cares about the lore and maybe get a reaction from blizzard.

4 Likes

Came here to report this as well. Started Shadowlands a few days ago and the entire quest dialog for both Oribos and Bastion are not triggering or they only trigger for half of the NPCs who are part of the quest dialog. I typically love the lore and storylines and this makes it so difficult to follow. :slightly_frowning_face:

8 Likes

Reposting my video for newcomers and cause I feel it’s the best example of this problem. But I mean, who needs dialogs anyway right? It’s so trivial and optional

10 Likes

Wow, subbed yesterday to play through SL in prep for dragon flight only to get this big. I’m missing huge parts of the story which is the only reason I subbed. I’m getting a refund.

6 Likes

The missing Dialogue, especially voiced lines, but also text-only RP, has been happening to me since Legion. This is not just Shadowlands and BfA. This has been happening for THREE Expansions now, and its only getting worse and happening more often as more and more of the game is voice acted or has a text RP scene play out.

I’ve been having the vanishing Dialogue (especially voice acted lines, but text vanishes too) bug since Legion on my account. It’s not just one character, but its more obvious on characters I play more.

This needs to be addressed, especially if Blizzard wants to actually provide decent storytelling in game. And many times the quest dialogue is used to explain the steps in a quest, and when that bugs it makes completing the quest difficult and confusing for players.

Most players assume a long period of silent npcs means they’re done, so they run off without staying for the story, whether they mean to skip it or not. A lot of players are probably not reporting this issue because they don’t even realize they’re missing entire chunks of the story RP. Because when it doesn’t trigger, it’s just a long few minutes of silence and nothing happening.

I’ve submitted many tickets and bug reports, and it’s never been properly addressed. I usually get canned responses from Support, or they blame it on addons or say just turn in the quests and move on. I’ve tried everything on the standard list of ways to ‘fix’ issues. Reset the quest/RP, removed all addons, re-created cache, even re-installed the game. Nothing works to fix it.

Resetting the quest has very rarely caused some of the dialogue to re-appear, but I’ve spent hours resetting a quest to try to get all the dialogue to trigger and still had missing parts. This is not fun or good gameplay for the time wasted trying to enjoy the game. I’ve often had to go to Youtube just to see the entire quest dialogue, and sometimes I’ve seen it bug out on the Youtube videos, or the video ends before the RP plays because the player didn’t realize the RP even existed because it was missing for them too!

This bug is most obvious in voice-acted dialogue when there are long extended periods of silence as the NPC moves around as if they are talking, but say nothing. But I’ve seen it happen with text-only dialogue too during BfA. In Legion, even the popup talking head toast windows failed to trigger along with the voice acted lines.

The most memorable instances off the top of my head happened during major storylines:

• Legion Hunter Class Hall mount scenario. Odyn failing to talk during the Hunt, and his popup talking head window failing to trigger.
  • BfA Horde questline in Ashenvale Zoram’Gar outpost during War of Thorns.
    Sylvanas and Nathanos text RP lines failed.
  • Shadowlands Nightfae covenant questline to change/join covenant. The Boon of Shapes quest. Moonberry’s entire speech is missing while my character kneels.
  • Shadowlands Zereth Mortis. Taelia and Bolvar’s ‘stay a while and listen’ voiced RP is mostly missing.
  • Shadowlands Zereth Mortis, Help from Beyond quest. Droman Aliothe’s entire voiced dialogue is missing. She stares at me for a while in silence, then turns and runs off without saying a thing.

With more and more lines in game being voice acted, and with Blizzard focusing more on telling story through these RP dialogues inside the game, this needs to be fixed. This bug has existed since at least Legion without being addressed. It causes story beats to be missed, and results in a confusing story that doesn’t make sense to the players, who are missing chunks of the story but don’t even realize its missing.

Please fix this Blizzard. It’s only getting worse as you add more RP story dialogue to the game.

7 Likes

Disgusting how we keep watching Classic being hotfixed day after day after day while Retail remains with game breaking major bugs.

Words cannot describe the amount of dissatisfaction Retail players are having right now.

4 Likes