Diablo Immortal is crazy with how much they push transactions

I legit felt bad for Wyatt Cheng. I can dislike a company decision, but he became the face of a very bad PR moment. The dude probably does great work, but he’s probably not someone who should be on stage in front of thousands of onlookers.

The meme is still 100% his to own though. Like, supposedly Ion had a picture of the “Sylvanas Ion” face on his door.

4 Likes

Yeah, he really dropped the ball. Zero ability to read an audience.

I haven’t seen any pushes for those outside of the phone version

I have no intention of touching Diablo Immortal. I just got Diablo 3 for Switch and have been having a great time replaying through it on different classes. Necromancer is super fun. That’s all the mobile Diablo I need.

Do you guys not have wallets?

Of course you do…and Blizzard owns them all.

5 Likes

I played for a bit yesterday and couldn’t help but to compare this game to lost arc. I wanted to play just for the bit of Diablo lore and story but I just can’t bring myself to. Everything about this game seems so artificial.

2 Likes

Yep. And offline mode. Didn’t need an app to logon to play. I guess you can still play StarCraft 2 without using the Gizzard app, but only for a limited time before it makes you use the app again. Can understand, if you want to play coop, or against other players, but for campaigns you should have unlimited access without using the stupid app. but ya the good ole days for sure.

1 Like

isnt nickel and diming the entire point of “mobile gaming”? Like think EA on steroids where 100% of the entire premise is to strip humans of their dollars. I mean its not like playing on a tiny little screen is even fun. Thats why most gamers have large monitors, or plug their computer into a 4k TV. I only have 2x24 inch screens because I really like 2 screen setups but dont have the physical space for bigger. Stuff playing games on a 5 inch or less screen!

2 Likes

But there’s NO social contract there. Chat is toxic.

doesnt have to be. but why wouldnt they if the sillies spend happily.

im fine with that. do the greedy stuff on mobile and keep actual games more reasonable. i dont have a phone :smiley:

I thought it was in beta? People are spending money while in beta? Will the servers be wiped?

It wasn’t because they didn’t get news on Diablo, it was that the audience was full of
PC gamers, Diablo has always been a PC-first kind of game aside from the here and there ports of it to consoles like the original Diablo was on playstation, or D3 being made for consoles to cash in for Reaper of Souls when they dropped that expansion.

The additional kicker was Diablo 3 has been on life support ever since shortly after RoS. There’s been seasons but no new huge updates to the game past systems. At this point it was like 4 years with no news of anything on the horizon for them. We think it’s bad what we have with WoW and it is, but it’s nothing on the radio silence for Diablo fans that they dealt with and still do, and will in the future endure.

So for them to not only tease a big Diablo announcement in front of their starving faces, but to add insult to injury by making it a phone game pissed them off.

4 Likes

As one of the people you described…

No…

I don’t like mobile games and the micro transaction heavy progression stuff they have so I don’t play them. Like you

It wasnt that Blizzard decided to make a mobile game, it was that they took a franchise built on PC with ports to other stuff like PS1 etc…diablo 1… and moved it to a mobile platform and didnt really indicate PC was still the primary platform.

So it looked like the game franchise was going away from PC. If the mobile market wasnt what it is people might have been more open.

I think its great for ppl who like playing on a phone. To each their own but there are plenty of ppl who would rather have a dedicated controller or keyboard/mouse and a …idk…19" to 85" display to play on.

I can see my phone screen just fine but that doesnt mean I like the experience that it provides when playing games and thats all clearly the issue.

It looked like this WAS Diablo 4 and thankfully it isnt

It’s playable on PC so Im giving it a try but its essentially still diablo 3.

Would have been much better for them to clarify as you said or simply keep the franchise away from a platform that is widely disliked for its transaction heavy experiences but they have chosen to embrace that which connects with bigger concerns not just for this franchise but Blizzards handling of their major franchises in general and wondering what else the company is going to do with existing franchises vs just making something new.

But thats my take on it.

It is beta, I think it will wipe, but you get your ‘credits’ or whatever the pay2win currency is called back to reuse when it’s live… as far as I know.

Im sure the insane response is why its on PC at all. Maybe they planned to make it on PC too but I doubt it…until they got the pushback.

Probably why it was announced some 4 years ago too and is only now coming out. Gotta get it to PC too.

3 Likes

It’s a mobile game. Did you really expect anything different?

Go post on the Diablo Immortal forums? Nobody here cares.

2 Likes

I wish they gave us a RMAH. I know, I know… but I liked it. I made like $9 dollars from it before they shut it down.

The purchases are worth it. I spent about $10 so far and got some badass stuff.

1 Like

Blizz should have a product like DI in their portfolio. They have to compete with King for Activision resources.