Diablo 4 looks really good... I want to get into Diablo. Should I play DI or D3?

I disagree. Diablo 3 without RMAH is way better than Diablo 2.

On Diablo 2, you just smash 1 ability over and over. That’s why pc controllers work becoz the controls are so very simple. You dont dodge missiles or stuff being thrown to you. You just absorb them all and focus on getting an armor to withstand them. There are 3 difficulties… Normal, Nightmare and Hell. After killing the hardest boss in Hell, it’s over. You dont even need the best rune to beat it. And the hardest mobs is a gimmick. These are the mobs or bosses immune to you. You just gear up your follower to kill them. And it has P2W thru D2jsp… those trading items also available on Ebay. To me, their trading is buying rare stuffs from people who killed hardest mobs that you didnt kill. No need to make an effort to get those high runes becoz you could just buy them. And what I also hate is you dont need the highest/rarest runes to beat the hardest Boss.

I prefer Diablo 3, you are not just spamming 1 ability. You are throwing a lot of stuffs. And you could dodge missiles and the likes in addition to absorbing them with your armor. The highest difficulty seems endless as there are Greater Rift levels. You would need all the gear you get to beat it. And the best part is there’s no trading after the game ends which means no P2W. You really have to grind the best items… and it would drop in the end if you are aggressive.

I just hope D4 follow D3.

Old D3 with RMAH is advanced D2. Instead of Ebay, the store is with Blizzard. And it got abolished becoz players then tend to focus more of their time on the RMAH than play the game. The No Life players would prefer D3 RMAH or D2 with JSP becoz they make money thru 24/7 in the game and sell their rare items in $$. The average players wont be able to enjoy the game becoz whatever they do, the RMAH has way better items than whatever they get in the game.

1 Like

Diablo 1 is good, especially if you can get your hands on the completely non-canonical and basically fanfic expansion pack Hellfire.

Diablo 2 is probably the best in the series with Lord of Destruction expansion pack. People tend to forget base launch D2 was riddled with issues as well (something they don’t forgive D3 for) but several patches and Lord of Destruction made it into a fantastic game well worth playing.

Diablo 3 is a good game too. It’s a fair bit different from D2 with how it manages gear and leveling and some people don’t like it for that, and that’s fine, but a lot of its hatred comes from the shockingly bad launch experience with things like the real money auction house, incredibly skewed drop rates, absurd difficulty spikes combined with lag (invisible one-shotting act 2 wasp projectiles, anyone?), terrible story and dialogue and so on. But many patches, reworks, the abolishing of the AHs, and the Reaper of Souls expansion made it a much better game. Doesn’t solve the trash writing in the first 4 acts, nothing can fix that, but act 5 writing is fine. Also doesn’t solve the leveling / gear differences from D2 for the people who don’t like that but that’s opinion based and I’m fine with the changes. Worth trying at the very least.

I’ve not played Diablo Immortal, but from what I’ve heard the gameplay itself is quite good, but it’s so chock full of predatory monetization practices at every moment in the game that I refuse to even give it the time of day, especially with all the analysis and pay to win stories out there. I say pass on this one, don’t even give Blizz the download number. If you do decide to try it, sure, it’s your choice, but be prepared to have no endgame without a credit card.

Diablo 4 will definitely be a wait and see at this point. Blizzards reputation has been shot, so to believe anything Blizz has to say at this point is extremely foolish. Actions speak louder than words and in the past few years Blizzards actions have been loud and clear

1 Like

This is a lot like saying in Diablo 3 you just spam 1 ability.

You can probably get away with it, but you’re playing much worse than somebody using multiple abilities.

and you’re definitely playing worse if you aren’t dodging attacks.

Admittedly I think both 2 and 3 have pretty weak endgames.

Diablo 2 doesn’t offer a ton except running the same things over and over again, but that’s more or less just what Diablo 3’s rift system is anyway.

You get more difficulty scaling, but gearing in Diablo 3 I find really boring because your kit is completely very quickly and you’re just farming the same items with slightly better stats after that.

There’s nothing like getting a Call to Arms or Enigma where new things open up to you, because you already got Enigma 30 minutes after hitting max level. You just found “Enigma +10” instead of “Enigma +9”.

Yeah, I was one of the people who hated titanforging too because it’s the exact same problem. Hell as much as it was harder to balance, I miss when more items in WoW had cool and unique effects on them rather than just ever increasing stats.

I would argue that Diablo 2 was, at the very least, designed to be beatable without the best gear in the game.

Diablo 3 was originally very much so designed to “encourage” people to buy off the RMAH.

If you care about the integrity of a game I recommend you stay far away from Diablo Immortal. Also, if you care about min maxing a character without spending your life savings on expensive upgrades, I would play something else.

It’s okay to build up another ability if there are more harder Bosses/mobs to kill. You killed everything in Hell, the highest difficulty. What’s the point of building up another ability? Yeah, I firmly believe D2 is just smashing 1 ability over and over. Dont need to level up above level 80. Do you level up to 120 to get your 2nd ability to kill all the same mobs/bosses that can be killed with only 1 ability?

What’s to dodge? When their missile is casted, you have no time to react, it just hit you right away. Nothing to dodge on D2. You just have to absorb it. Unlike on D3, you see the missiles fly, you have time to dodge/avoid it. Strong Reflexes would give you advantage over those who dont have it. Have you seen The Butcher on D3? How about Malthael? You see those stuff you have to dodge? D2 doesnt have any of it.

You should have completed a lot of GRift levels when you complete your set. Way better than no GRifts at all like on D2. And you have many sets to play around with different gameplay using the same toon. No need to have your toon grind again those mobs you already killed over and over just to get the 2nd or 3rd ability on D2.

And that was the worst. I cant complete my Set becoz the RNG is too strict. The game is like forcing me to buy it from RMAH. No way. But I had fun making my own Blacksmithing set since I refuse to use RMAH. But after RMAH got abolished, they relaxed the RNG and I started completing the sets. That’s when I really had fun in D3.

Just play Diablo 3, its free and plays the same as DI

Abilities in Diablo 2 can only have 20 points in them and you get 1 per level. If you’re level 80, you should have 3-4 abilities at a high rank. There are a lot of utility abilities in Diablo 2.

Additionally, there is the uber bosses that are much harder than hell.

Again you can do it, but you’re playing worse than somebody who isn’t. I can make the exact same claim of Diablo 3. I could play through the entire game spamming nothing but multishot on my demon hunter.

The fact that you can beat the game before being max level also means that you get end game character progression in more ways than just gear.

I consider this a point in favour of Diablo 2, not a point against it.

Funny how I was able to dodge stuff in Diablo 2 just fine.

Not really between all the extra bad luck protection systems that Diablo 3 has like blood shards and the cube. Being able to get a fully kitted out character is very quick in Diablo 3, it just wont be ancient primal stuff.

The majority of end game is upgrading the gear you already have with slightly better numbers over and over again.

I’ve gotten multiple characters to that point and it really didn’t take me very long. It’d probably take me longer to get a character in Diablo 2 to level 80.

2 is great. The first one will always have a special place in my heart, but 2 is my favourite in the series. They did a great job on the remaster, too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fixed that for ya…
I’d recommend not giving DI any of your time over absolutely anything else… It’s predatory behavior and games like it deserve to be thrown away and forgotten.

And those are the synergies of your main ability… so, you still have one ability… that main ability. If you need another 20 on a different route than your main ability, you have killed the hardest Bosses/mobs of the game already. So you dont need them.

Do you know those Torches? It’s like I killed those Bosses more than 30 times and it dropped only 1 to 2 Torch? And those Bosses are the same boring Bosses you already killed on its hardest difficulty. Unlike on GRifts, it’s okay to redo them over and over becoz you could do the hardest ones not those boring ones.

You have 2 to 3 abilities very different to your main ability that help you other than your main ability. If you left your 3 buttons unused, good luck.

And that is boring to me. I want to play more but killing the same Bosses/and mobs for more levels is boring. Why would I need Enigma if Bosses and mobs are already dying on me? Why would I spend the whole season looking for it when there’s a chance it wont drop the whole season?

Maybe there are some that you could dodge but they are few. Just look at the fight of Malthael and the Butcher… tell me a dynamic fight in Diablo2. All of them are Tank and spank which is boring.

The goal of the D3 is not getting the BiS gear. It’s beating its highest GRifts. Beating Hell in D2 is very short compared to climbing to D3’s Grifts 150. And grinding Hell over and over that you have beaten already is boring. On D3, you dont stick to Grift 20 to 100. You want to climb to Grift 150 and up. And that is not boring becoz mobs are still trying to kill you and it would pwn you if you are not careful.

I have an analogy on WoW.

On Retail, you want the hardest Bosses/dungeons get killed. Like M+15 and up… Like GRifts 150 and up… We dont care what we wear… BiS or not. We just want the dungeons/raid got beaten. Just like Diablo 3.

Diablo 2 is just like doing Heroic Dungeons over and over in Classic. You are already Raid geared and doing Heroic Dungeons are boring. Why do you keep doing it? Becoz you look for certain armor with 0.000001% to drop and you really want it.

A decade of polish has made D3 a pretty fantastic game.

It’s not for everyone and even those who do like it, it’s still a game I play very sporadically. But every so often it’ll just consume me for a solid month.

1 Like

So Diablo 2 doesn’t have teleport, barbarian shouts, venom, cloak of shadows, fade, burst of speed, assassin traps, paladin auras, summoning skills, slow missiles, inner sight, sorceress armours, etc?

Diablo 2 has a lot of abilities that offer more than just synergy bonuses with your main attack skill, you just seem to be ignoring their existence.

Diablo 3 rifts are just you killing the same bosses over and over again, but harder which is something you’re hating on Diablo 2 uber bosses for.

There are plenty of things you can dodge.

The first time you fight Diablo you’ll almost certainly want to dodge his lightning breath attack because it deals massive damage.

The goal of a diablo game is going to be different for different people.

However in order to beat higher GRifts, you must still farm the same bosses over and over again for the same gear you already have but with bigger numbers.

Diablo 2 offers stuff that will challenge even high geared players, but apparently when Diablo 2 does it you make excuses as to why it’s not good.

It’s also worth noting that in addition to ubers you can increase the difficulty further with player count in the game(and this is something you can change in singleplayer too, which doesn’t add another player but will make the enemies harder).

Becoz I killed the hardest bosses already… the game ended on me already before I could open more abilities.

I like to face those Uber bosses but killing 50 times on one boss that is easy to kill but takes time and it only drop 1 to 2 torches is super boring. Give me something that is not boring that I would do over and over and I could get enough Torches to bring up those Uber Bosses.

That’s a boring fight compared to Malthael and the Butcher. I max’d out my resistances and I could have my nephew spam the mouse button and kill Diablo.

At least the higher GRifts keep you awake becoz one wrong move and it could kill you. Unlike on D2’s Hell, it was all faceroll. The hardest Mobs of D2 are those immune to you… so gimmicky.

I strongly believe that I could kill solo those Ubers. One point on a certain talent is what I need to do the job like how I some people did it in Youtube. My toon is more geared than the player on youtube who beat solo’d the Uber. I was planning to make another toon but with diffrent spec for Ubers but I realized is that I just need a single point to my current toon.

And D2R didnt tell us exactly how we would do it when it released the game. I have beaten the Hell already on a wrong mode when I learned how to increase the difficulty on Solo. BTW, I dont like Multiplayer where people would just ninja my loots. That’s another bad thing on D2 for me. On D3, no players would ever ninja my loots.

GRifts put me to sleep faster than anything.

I mean, I don’t disagree that Diablo 2 is pretty faceroll but I’m already all in on having said that both games have a weak endgame so I don’t have a huge investment in trying to convince you Diablo 2 has this amazing endgame because I don’t think it does.

Diablo 3’s endgame just isn’t anything amazing either. It boils down to just killing the same bosses over and over again for the same gear only with slightly better stats so you can kill the same bosses you’ve been killing with slightly higher numbers.

Once you’re a few hours into endgame in Diablo 3, you will never get anything new thrown your way. Diablo 2 at least might throw you some new gear, even if the bosses don’t change.

I’d pit Path of Exile as having the best endgame of the genre right now, as they have increasing difficulty that also throws both new gear AND new bosses at you as you get stronger.

2 hands down, 3 is better now and offers a lot for a ‘jump in and go with it’ mindset but the atmosphere really falls behind D2.

We don’t talk about DI.

EDIT: Oh and if you really want to go back, you could pick up Diablo on GoG or some such pretty cheap, but its slooooow compared to even D2, but man the music in D1 and D2 were perfect fit for the dark unforgiving world they introduced.

Well, you’ve definitely never actually played d:i.

1 Like

Interesting plot twist: They won’t cap how much you can pay/spend on Diablo I because “its your money and you are a free American to spend it how you like!” But then will censor your speech because 'you are a free American and are stupid with bad words coming out your mouth!"

https://madelinetodd.files.wordpress.com/2018/09/giphy3.gif

story wise it’s D1 to D2 to D:I to D3

if you are susceptible to micro transactions then yeah don’t touch inmortal

I would start with the original honestly. It’s on GOG for $7.99 at the moment. I’m older and played it when it was new though so I appreciate it’s flaws.

1 Like

I just want to say i started with diablo 2 and the game is incredible

1 Like