Diablo 4 looks really good... I want to get into Diablo. Should I play DI or D3?

TBH id be more interested in playing Demon Hunter since I like Valla in HOTS… what class would you suggest in D2? I typically play Dex classes like Rogue/Archer

I want to play more for the dungeon crawling and story… not really interested in grinding end game.

I haven’t played PoE but I’m very curious how PoE2 vs D4 will shake out.

alot of these games have the same format. Story while you’re leveling and endgame is pretty much grind for the BiS gear

Diablo 3 completely turned me off. But to be fair I suspect the game’s loot loop would never appeal to me

In this case any of the 3 mainline Diablo games really work.

Diablo 1 is slower paced, but I would say the most atmospheric. The game is basically 1 really big dungeon. Most of the story will come from a handful of quests and talking to the NPCs in town.

Diablo 2 expands on story and spreads things out over 5 acts each in a different location. Each act has a number of quests that help flesh out the world a bit, but aren’t always part of the main story.

Diablo 3 keeps mostly to the same formula as Diablo 2, though the quests are more focused on the main story. It’s also the easiest game by far, as the game will lock you to the lowest difficulties on a new account(which are a complete joke in terms of difficulty, if that matters to you).

Getting through the story in each game doesn’t take a lot of time, as the game generally expects you to either play through again on a higher difficulty or else grind end game content for BiS gear.

Personally I think Diablo 2 has the best story and gameplay, but it’s incredibly subjective. It’s also a 20 year old game, and that means 20 year old design even if Diablo was never as hard to get into as other RPGs of the 90s and early 2000s.

1 Like

no explanation for Dimortal?

I haven’t bothered even trying it on account of the reports that the game is massively pay to win and breaks out all the stops to get you to try to buy into their microtransactions, including throwing up progression walls that take forever to get through if you aren’t paying your way past them.

Play Diablo 2, Diablo Immortal and Diablo 3 before you play Diablo 4.

They all play more or less the same, with the exception of Diablo Immortal, which is a mobile game and is rife with the expected microtransactions that mobile games contain. Focus on the story for that only unless you’re set on getting some of the cosmetics.

I tried POE, it was way too complicated.

it’s worse then you think. As a F2P player, you cannot:

-Make huge progress - daily diminishing return walls
-Cannot sell ANYTHING on the market place. Their “legendary rifts” are bound gear rewards. To sell loot on market place you must buy the $20 shop version for unbound loot.
-Get decent loot. The diff for loot between F2P vs P2W is trash blues vs 5+ legendary loot drops. It’s BAD.

just to show you how bad F2P players are being treated. And on top of that its $20 legendary rifts for 2mins of action and 5-10 legendary pieces of loot. Let that sink in.

Diablo 3 has awesome fast-paced gameplay and the seasons are fun but it gets boring after you push past GR120 but always a good pickup every couple of months.

Stay away from immortal.

5 Likes

Ehh, it’s not so bad, once you start to grasp what’s actually happening, and get past that initial shock of “Holy crap, what the hell am I looking at?”

D3 is fun for climbing the ladder and playing with your close friends. It’s grindy but in a group it’s a lot of fun.

DI is fun if you ignore social media and just play and not worry about all p2w complaints. You don’t need to spend money to have fun, you can just play through the story and drop it once you hit a wall.

I don’t see why every one is up in arms about Diablo immortal. Just don’t spend any money? It’s not hard. Free game that I’m enjoying with tons of content.

You haven’t hit the endgame pay wall then.

1 Like

I’ve heard of it. Not yet though.

Diablo 2 is considered by far the best Diablo game so far. Diablo Immortal is very fun to play until you get to the point where gear is restricted by level and you need 50 to 100 paragon levels before you get your next piece. If you don’t mind the grind, then Diablo Immortal is a great game, and no, it is not pay to win, because if you get too far ahead of the rest of the server, then your xp gain gets reduced to 0 until people catch up.

I love the game too, but the grind is real, once you try to get all your secondary gear set.

D3 is the best Diablo game to play at the moment. D2R is an excellent D2 clone, but D2 is really clunky and has a lot of really serious flaws when rated as a modern ARPG. D2 really demands a level of excellence and perfection that makes the whole process either feel very cookie cutter or impossible, no in between. D3 definitely has fixed perfect specs that are objectively best in every way, but it doesn’t ask you to achieve that in the first 2 hours of the game. You can respec in D3 too. You can finish season guardian in a junk build in D3, it is more open in general.

1 Like

Diablo 2 is dated, even though it’s remastered. It has a traditional rpg feel.

Diablo 3 is worth playing through for the story. Endgame is running bounties for materials to reforg legendaries in the hope of getting a primal legendary. It’s a grind.

Diablo Immortal is a solid game and fun to play. There is many quality of life improvements over D3. You can pay to gear faster or do the traditional grind. It takes months to get fully geared in other Diablo games. Immortal is no different.

If you are one of those gamers who likes original graphics then you will love D1 all of the thing and D2 as well. I have the original discs, played those games when they first came out.

1 Like