DHs and RP

So, this thread is relatively straight forward. If you do DH and RP, How is it you go about that and how have you designed your character to help make their presence in RP believable?

Given that literally everyone else does actually seem to have them, should DHs hold Illidari summits that are more or less AA meetings for these trained super powered monster slayers where they chat and discuss their attempts to ‘connect’ with the people they became such to protect?

Mine is a night elf who joined after the Third War. He refused to believe that the massive armies he saw were done and gonna just call it quits and leave us alone.

The demon he slew was a Prime Eredar, which everyone was impressed he was able to take down. Then he found out that the demon basically let him kill him, because he needed a vessel. Turns out he was planning on abandoning the Legion because he felt they completely dropped the ball and had no interest in fighting the Void or doing anything helpful.

Latching onto another body was the only way he’d be able to get away and be off their radar. So basically Keldaxus and his demon have an Eddie Brock/Venom relationship. Both are fully sentient, and most of the time at least try to work together to fight actual threats.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, I cant exactly have too much fun for when me Belf became a Illidari (given the timeframe, it’s pretty darn predictable) but have found that now the Legion is defeated, it’s much more interesting to use him in RP and explore what makes him function. Demon soul he has in him is still in the works, but I am taking baby steps with it since last night was the whole second time I RP’d him.

That all said, I found it was not too hard to figure why he would willingly fight for the horde. The guy, unquestionably, is still not going to have forgotten that whole Garithos thing and, if he picks up recent records, he can see Jaina more or less went Garithos pt. 2 Electric Boogaloo, so it’s safe to say the humans are as perfidious as ever in his eyes. Then there is his traitorous ‘kin’ who sided with them and have now been turning themselves into Old God servants AND who apparently nearly broke the Sunwell.

Which is rather sad in the long run given that he does overall have a large swath of respect for Night Elf Illidari and Draenei for the sheer amount of sacrifices and effort they have spent in fighting the Legion.

That all said, the few times I have RP’d him has seen him having extremely rusty social skills (spent years imprisoned and then the next few free fighting demons afterall) and him making attempts to connect with the people he never exactly spent much time talking with outside of military encampments in Legion.

My Belf DH was not on Marduum and has spent the last several years traveling, reluctantly at first, with the Night Elf Druid she saved when fleeing Outland after the Black Temple fell.

Said Druid was on Teldrassil when it went up and Aelyn was, to put it lightly, displeased when she found his body. She has since been in contact with Taalva and is working as a deep cover operative for SI:7.

1 Like

Remember that they’re still real people. I just try to focus on that; a lot of DHs only seem to talk about their job and the Legion, but it’s always interesting to see a variety of personalities.

Why did they choose to become a demon hunter? Why did they choose to side with their current faction? What are they doing now that the Legion is defeated? Do they feel lost? Do they have friendships on the other side who are now torn apart by the war? Where do they turn to find people to accept them into society? What are their fears? What are their weaknesses? Are they self-conscious of their demonic features, or do they take pride in it? Do they suffer from PTSD? Did they lose anyone close to them? What is their specialty? What is their sense of humor like?

Not every DH has to be a super powerful edgelord; they’re just regular people who gave up their normal lives to have a chance to get vengeance on the Legion. Now that their goal is accomplished, there are so many great opportunities to develop the characters and see where they go next! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

DH RP is pretty dead after legion. What purpose do they have now? None really

Just don’t be the guy who RP’s a DH that is bound to a nathrezim or pitlord or something ridiculously powerful. You’re basically a powergamer at that point and not far off from a dragon RPer.

Ive never understood this sentiment. Its like people forget literally one of the first quests you are given when getting to outland is to go kill a low level dreadlord. That is to say nothing of the fact that there are no named dreadlords all over outland that are little more than trash mobs.

Weve also been murdering dragons ever since we were baby adventurers in Vanilla.

There is nothing inherently wildly powerful about RPing a Dragon or having your DH eat a Dreadlord. They can be played as op and powergaming, godmoding or whatever but so can literally everything else.

Basically a long winded, RP what you want. Its no one elses business what you enjoy writing so long as you arent harrassing other players.

7 Likes

I’m not subbed, and I never actually bothered to RP my DHs out of malaise. One was intended to be a small inversion of expectations, he would probably be having a field day with how backward BfA’s plot has been, but I digress.

Mainly I just wanted to say that my idea was, without ever planning on using it for more than lame jokes, he was going to be bound with a pitlord and it would only really manifest in scaliness, some bulk and an inhuman apetite.

Edit; And I was just bothering to post because someone mentioned it at all. ‘Don’t do that meeeeehhh’. Jokes on you pal you can’t powergame if you don’t RP.

I love this and if you ever resub you should go for it

Only if I get the sense you’re doing it for the wow factor do I tend to shy away from these, but in general I’ve seen a few of these types of characters (DH and Dragon) done well. If you (OP) decide to head this route with demons make sure you are well acquainted with who and what those demons are, what role they play within the legion and at what power level they generally rank. There’s nothing wrong with binding with a Pitlord, just be certain you do your homework and give it and your character their due justice. Remember to work in a few (or a couple) significant flaws as these will help ground your character and make them relatable to other RPers.

Though I would still advise to shy away from higher tier demons. You’re going to have enough hurdles to deal with as a Demon Hunter. A DH bound to a Pitlord will only add complications, imo.

Pretty much what I and Livi mentioned above. Start with the before your Demon Hunter was a Demon Hunter, they were Sindorei or Kaldorei. Focus for a minute on what that meant to them. Every Demon Hunter chose to follow their path out of vengeance or power-seeking, or a combination of the two, but think for a minute about how this motivation applies to your Elf. What did they loose? What/why were they willing to sacrifice what was left? Having a general sense of these going forward will help flesh out your character.

Don’t forget to work in a few character flaws as well. Even just one key flaw can go a long way to keeping your DH grounded, relatable, and interesting as a character.

I’m just offering my 2 cents here. By no means am I an expert, but these are things that have worked for me, and I’ve seen them work for others.

For my Demon Hunter, I’ve focused on why Vesthi gave up what she did. I made her an ancient Night Elf to give me more than enough time to develop her tragedy long before she followed Illidan into Outland. She has a lot of old wounds and baggage to deal with, vengence on the demons that destroyed her and stopping the legion’s march were only the first steps for her. As a character she’s still got a long road ahead of her, and so when I RP Vesthi I focus on those matters.

Right now in my writing for her I’m focusing on her sense of patriotism, her love and pride for her people. Where she wasn’t terribly concerned about the faction conflict before the burning of Teldrassil pulled her into the fight. Her major flaw in this is that all the fanaticism and fervor she once focused on the Legion is being turned toward the Horde, and it’s causing some serious problems for her.

That’s just my approach for this expansion.

Maybe on your server. You should go back there.

1 Like

Good to see you again Cail, its been a bit.

:grinning:

Though im unsubbed atm I do still enjoy the stories and backstories I’ve written for my characters.

Aelyn did absorb a dreadlord, though the only reason was because since the death of her son at the hands of that Dreadlord (said dreadlord possessed her and made her kill her own son) she had spent every single waking moment plotting her revenge until she got the opportunity when she underwent rhe ritual at the black temple. Even then she only just barely survived and it took a long time to maintain substantial control (an act that would not have been possible without the companionship of the druid I mentioned above).

I didnt choose dreadlord because “oooo powerful” or to make Aelyn unbeatable. The Dreadlords propensity for subversion, shadowy tactics and behind the scenes interested me and I thought it would translate well to a Demon Hunter.

2 Likes

This mentality is what encourages people to RP the love child of Varian and the spawn of Wrathion (you know who you are). There needs to be an understanding that gameplay =/ lore. There’s a lot more to write but I’ll keep it simple: it’s taboo to RP powerful creatures/relatives of named characters.

Just know that many people will not RP with you if you write whatever you want without proper consideration to the lore.

There’s nothing to suggest that one type of demon is obscenely powerful. Their leaders are. But aside from like… an Antoran, nothing in lore states that nethrezim or other types of demons are OP individually.

1 Like

Take your own advice. You’re confusing your personal headcanon with lore.

4 Likes

Ill be sure to let the people ive RPed with on Aelyn both off and in game, the people who have RPed with either of my Dragons that they’ve been RPing wrong all this time.

If people see “Dragon” and refuse to RP with me for that reason alone they are a person I had no interest in RPing with in the first place.

5 Likes

There’s literally an illidari who’s in a cage on the fel hammer because he’s bound to a nathrezim.

What I’m describing is lorebreaking. I shouldn’t be surprised that WrA is not familiar with this concept…

An exceptionally powerful one, that he performed a specific binding ritual on. Learn your lore.

No, it’s not following your headcanon.

Do you seriously not have anything better to do? You’re all “get a life this” and “go outside” that in the other thread, but you’re just dinking around on our forums trolling.

4 Likes

So, I would personally say that I do partly agree with Soljeron’s point, sometimes less is really more. I’ve personally found the more practical a character is, the more interesting they are given the high powered fantasy world. (and when running RP events, it helps make the inevitable show down with the main antagonist of the arc more satisfying)

That said, I get the feeling my DH Gilinair and Cail’s DH probably would have gotten along pretty well had Teldrassil never occurred. Unfortunately, since Garithos was still a thing and stewing in imprisonment with with a demon soul inside you and no real access to learn humans came to abhor Garithos isn’t good… he unfortunately was quite quick to sign up to fight the Alliance when a few Sunreavers told him about the Purge of Dalaran (and in turn triggered old memories) and ‘Void Elves maliciously attacking the Sunwell’.

Where’s that “she doesn’t even go here” meme?

Also absolute lol at “rp 101 you should know-” as if we don’t repeat the same approximate forum mantra everytime anyone asks anything about rp.

Dude you literally choose to make an idiot of yourself, why are you here?

2 Likes