Dh or warrior?

Hey guys, I’m a veteran wow player that’s played ret, mage and finally warrior over the years as my main. I was told in the arena forums that warrior was going to be pretty good in shadowlands but I feel they might get nerfed. I also kind of want to play a different melee. My question is twofold: is dh fun to play in SL plus competitive in pvp? And are they pigeonholed into venthyr?

Venthyr is the strongest for DH right now, but it’s honestly down to aesthetic choice if you’re willing to avoid min-max.

Saying that, the covenant is a great fit for DH’s theme.

If you’re wanting to move away from Warrior, into a class that can both melee dps and tank, DH is a great choice, though be aware that Havoc’s self sustain/mitigation had been reduced going into SL.

There are improvements that could still be done for the class in talent structure and talents that are better placed as baseline, though seems to be a very common issue with a good many specs.

In PvP, Havoc has the Mortal Strike healing debuff attached to it’s Fel Rush, which is sounding very appealing!

All but a reduction in solo survivability, we should be ok.

Try DH over the next few weeks, and maybe look up the posts in the Beta, along with YouTube. You may enjoy it.

2 Likes

i wouldn’t count on dh anymore sadly, Blizz obviously know’s nothing about classes & specs, We got nerfed in everyway possible.

3 Likes

Dear god in heaven…Ion what have you done…

They always overdo it. Just making demonic 6 seconds would have been okay. But they went and made fel dev a 1 min cd, made demonic 6 seconds and topped it all off with reduced soul Frag heals.

Now we have a mediocre defensive and no good sustain. Well bois, it’s time to go rogue

1 Like

Wait, did shattered souls get nerfed in SL? Soul shards currently heal for 20% of maximum health, did they reduce the healing?

Blizzard’s long-held idiom: if it’s worth nerfing, it’s worth over-nerfing so badly that 75% of the people stop playing the class.

Supatease did a review on melee and it looks like DH is doing great in PvP Gwen. Loses some cleave, picks up great ST. Picks up some survivability covenant stuff.

Only bad thing is it dies inside of a stun, but that’s less of an issue if you get some defensive legendaries like the darkness one or the blur one.

Honestly it’s fun and you’ll be more mobile than your warrior. Hope you decide to reroll!

3 Likes

This is what it reads, seems like a small nerf to self healing. Sth that really was never a problem

Killing a target will sometimes shatter their soul, leaving a Soul Fragment behind for 20 sec.
The Soul Fragment will be consumed when you approach it, healing you for (348.075% of Attack power) health.
Consuming a Lesser Soul Fragment heals you for 8%6% of all damage taken in the last 5 sec, minimum 1% of maximum health.

Viciously strike 5 enemies in front of you for (70.2% of Attack power) Physical damage and heal yourself for (105%50% of Attack power).
Consumes up to 2 Soul Fragments within 25 yds
Vengeance (Level 14)
and heals you for an additional (35%50% of Attack power) for each Soul Fragment consumed

Had a question about covenants. Would night fae be good for dh? The charge attack gives us one minute leech or healing right? I don’t want to go venthyr but their ability reducing attack and cast speed by 30% in pvp sounds very strong.

Honestly right now Venthyr seems to be best for PvE, the leech provided by the hunt really doesn’t seem worth it in PvE.

For PvP, both are strong. But I believe that venthyr still pulls ahead mainly due to it doing more damage and Slowing casting speeds. The hunt is cool and all, but we are already able to keep up with targets so we don’t need the mobility. And looking at some of the conduits we really don’t need the leech in PvP, the blur Cooldown reduction conduit would probably do wonders for us.

1 Like

It also looked like night fae ability was on a 3 min cd compared to venthyr 1 min cd. I was thinking of tanking in pve and dps pvp.

1 Like

I’m not sure about tanking. I usually just do off tanking. Might wanna get one of the more experienced Tank demon hunters answer that.

PvP dps goes to venthyr. If tank meta also causes sinful brand on all targets around you, it might be good in PvE

The hunt is a 1.5min cd now with all the changes. For tanking the leech from it is only on the 1 target you mark with the hunt. If that target dies you no longer get leech and if you switch targets you no longer get leech. So really the leech is only decent for raiding.

For tanking venthyr is probably still the way to go just because meta puts sinful brand on everything and it is a lot of damage, but the hunt is closer now than it was before. Really depends on what your main tanking content is. Kyrian might end up being ok for m+ tanking as well.

For PvP Sinful Brand is able to be dispelled, so you need to play around that to get the max benefit. It’s damage is also over 8 secs. Most of The Hunt’s damage is upfront in one big hit with a conduit that further increases the damage of the hit. It does have around a 1 sec cast time though which can be awkward. Those are just some things to think about for pvp.

3 Likes

I’m liking the hunt more because I want to macro an emote “You are not prepared!” to the charge so it would feel like carbot Illidan.

Also, didn’t realize brand was dispellable. Good to know!

Can’t decide either.

Really enjoy both Arms and Havoc. I have fun with both Prot and Vengeance. Fury is ok, not my favorite tho.

I will say this tho: Ignore all the qq you hear on here. Dh has issues, both specs need talent changes, but it’s still a great choice. My brothers and sisters on this particular forum are extra… passionate.

I played both warrior and DH about equally in BfA, but i want to settle on one in SL, since both are Melee/Tank classes and i don’t need 2, so i’m right there with you in deciding between them.

2 Likes

Look at what they did to DH in Hearthstone, released it, a few people whined, they nerfed some of the best cards a few days later, each patch since the release they have nerfed DH even more, now it can’t even compete with most other classes, especially some of the Priest decks that blizz only makes stronger with each expansion,

Neither, go DK

Warrior has better Xmog, /endthread.

Warrior definitely has good xmog but they always nerf the class after the first few weeks of tuning.

2 Likes