DF story - is it just me?

I (unfortunately) skimmed through this post.

You complain about no war in warcraft and how the game should reminisce on WOTLK but the war in warcraft played a very minor role in Wrath. The majority of it was against the Lich King. In fact the war subplot of WOTLK could’ve been left out entirely and it wouldn’t have made any difference.

Funnily enough, some of the expansions people complain about the most, Cata and BFA, had the Alliance vs Horde war front and center and were not very well received. And we know BFA absolutely cratered the game and did not bring that many people back after Legion.

The Alliance vs Horde war isn’t as important to people as you think it is.

4 Likes

I can’t say I’m satisfied with the story of Dragonflight, but I absolutely loved Iridikron and Fyrakk as characters. Fyrakk in particular. He’s just so cartoonishly evil, I’m sad he’s gone.

Fyrakk should have had a lava mustache so that he could twirl it literally every time he spoke during cutscenes.

2 Likes

Huh? How’s that a world ending threat? You can quote it again if you like.

1 Like

I just did.

I think the implication is that for the Alliance it would be the same “end of the world” threat for them, as any other standard end of the world threat.

Both outcomes = everyone dead

I think it’s fine to have an expansion that is more relaxed in tone and focused on exploration. Could there be more drama around the raids? Sure, I don’t like the “people stand in a circle and chat” cutscenes much either. But we don’t need world-ending threats.

Dragonflight is setting up a future problem while letting us relax into the setting, that’s fine. World Soul Saga is almost certainly going to be an action-fueled drama fest.

1 Like

You realize a faction isn’t the world, right? When people are saying world ending threats they are talking about Sargeras, Jailor, actual planet / universe busters. Okay? So the alliance dies… and…?

4 Likes

So from the perspective of basically 1/2 the world, and 1/2 the playerbase. It was the end of the world.

1 Like

The Alliance being wiped off the earth isn’t world-ending to them?

Exactly.

Any time in human history a person has asked the question “Is it just me?” the answer has always been “no.”

“Filler” is the term they use anytime its just not something they like. Kind of like how some folks have decided that having to do anything more than once is “grinding” now.

1 Like

Yeah, new buzzwords for the forumites to endlessly spew.

1 Like

We’re not talking subjective perspectives. World enders are literally, in absolute and objective terms, world enders. Sargaras shoving his sword into Azeroth isn’t to kill gnomes only. By your logic every expac was a world ending expac because there was any conflict at all because some group or other are under threat. So silly.

7 Likes

Is it just me, or does playing Dragonflight remind anyone else of eating 3 day old green bean casserole in 2003 while hiding in the bathroom of your aunt’s house because you hate your family reunions that specially line up with Talladega 500

Maybe you’re not.

1 Like

In that case, I am not sure we have ever had a world ender scenario then. Vanilla, TBC, WotLK definitely werent. BFA/SL wasnt. I am not sure we had a true world ending expansion.

1 Like

I see you have no response. A contrarian, but not a very good one.

3 Likes

While replying to my response…

A perfect summary of yourself. Well done.

She’s not a very good contrarian by her own admission.

1 Like

I really liked the story and enjoyed the general vibe of the entire expansion. I know there are lots of people who feel differently, but there’s equal room and weight for everyone’s subjective opinions here.

3 Likes

I think Sargeras attempting to cleave the world in two was a pretty big one. He tried it a few times. Or maybe the Jailor attempting to remake the entire universe. Arthas was about to turn the entire world into undead as well, though certainly a much smaller scale than the 2 cosmic baddies.

4 Likes

Relying on sophistry and pedanticism now, I see. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes