DF story - is it just me?

I just went through the raid, first time, yeah pretty delayed, i know, but after having done the campaign, and not being vested in raiding anymore, I wasn’t all that curious.

I think this is the first expansion, where from start to finish, I just couldn’t bring myself to care about the campaign, actually i barely knew what it was about. No character i really cared for, could resonate with… nothing “badass” or dramatic, or fun, or creative… no Illidan crushing Gul’dan’s skull, my god dont even talk about arthas, or that badass orc warrior in the field who bladestorms down all the undead (know what i talk of? was it the older Saurfang?), anyways, part of what i loved so much about WoW was actually the story, these cool little, or big tidbits that would randomly surface, plot twists, used to be so creative, well or the dramatic enders like that of Wrath, or Legion, even BFA was quite good… i digress

So when the campaigns was so amazingly bland and absence of character involvement (i mean aspects are okay, but nowhere in wow did i ever build any attachment or interest towards them) so this whole thing become so impersonal, which ironically I expected more or less upon wathing the DF intro when released. Still, i somehow hoped there would be … more

But there wasnt, quite the contrary, there is no longer war (not where id care anyways, as i really dont care about Farykk, what even is that guy, aspect? infinite? ). It seems like the game forgot what it was called- Warcraft…

So to my frustration, why all this hugging and family and getting along nonsense? Okay fine, Family could be done well, pls reflect back to past expansions, ie Wrath, that was a great way to do “a family” thing, just epic storyline and presentation thereof.
But this “universal justice is life”-what kind of lameness is that? I literally avoid that auctioneer cause i cringe every time i hear it!

My god, this is supposed to be a fantasy- a removal from reality, maybe its just me, but i want drama, betrayal, war, fights, things that leave (memorable) emotional impressions, emotional charge… well if anything, the campaign left me with deflated emotional charge-, just… absolutely nothing except cringe, the worst type of outcome in entertainment, like watching grass grow…

So i thought, well maybe the raid would present a better ending than the campaign did, something conclusive and cool for the DF expansion (both me and my wife play together and she is a big story fan, not of DF ofc), so we hopped into LFR and knocked out all the bosses- fast and easy, just wanted to see what it was about…
Let me tell you, what a cringe-fest, first 5-10 seconds started okay, then all that nonsense with family started rolling along… i actually ended my cut-scene, wifey went thru and i sort of ended up watching off of her monitor… man this was hands down the most disappointing thing in wow history- the jailer twist came close, but to me, this took the cake, just because we already had a terrible ending, would have thought lesson was learned…

I guess this was a sort of a biased and negative review, sorry about that, emotions are still fresh/raw… maybe i just needed to get it out in a rather diplomatic way… i think…

I am really curious tho, if it was just me (and my wife) who was/were … disappointed… to say the least, with the whole DF story? Did others think it was great, or was it really that … lame?

I dont know man, bit of a rant, i just feel so… disappointed… maybe that is the emotion they were looking to elicit, guess i did get something after all…

26 Likes

It was refreshing to finally take a break from world-ending threat after world-ending threat after world-ending threat. If those are the stakes you’re into then just wait for the Worldsoul Saga to start in a few months.

16 Likes

I think there were hype moments, like Alex versus Thunder Incarnate (don’t ask me to spell their names please I still can’t say the mountain zone), when the Incarnates go to Forbidden reach, almost all of the Zaralakk caverns I thought was cool. BEST part hands down was Odyn getting shut up, that felt so good.

As for drama that you mention, I think there was a sprinkle too much. The ending of the final raid just makes me think of Deathwings end, with power of friendship.

I dunno, I think this xpac story was fine, just a little too tame with I think Blizzards heavy knee jerk responses. Last expac too edgy and trying to be dark, next one, gloss over people being impaled as rot eats them away.

3 Likes

Doesn’t have to be world ending threats. Early BFA was relatively grounded mortal conflicts, just with interesting character involvement. This expac feels a little like a filler episode in hindsight.

14 Likes

BFA story was actually pretty fun. :upside_down_face:

8 Likes

If you tell me you were more invested in Shadowlands story I don’t know what to tell you.

I like crayons.

3 Likes

Shadowlands? Never heard of it. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

Did I say that? Sorry heavy fever, having random dreams I must’ve said something strange that doesn’t exist

3 Likes

I like the break from the last few expansions and the little stories they added into DF.

However, the story is rather non engaging, though I found it a little better from a Dracthyr point of view

Overall, it was a little too much with the sappy and insipid. It is good for leveling alts, but I don’t feel invested in many of the NPCs.

I think that is the underlying issue. Very little reason to care.

Leaves one feeling that something is lacking.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t know. We didn’t get one.

1 Like

That’s why it’s Midflight not Dragonflight

Exactly what Dragonflight proved.

Just with the implication that Sylvanas, Warchief of the Horde, was out to wipe the Alliance off the face of Azeroth… Far higher stakes than exploring the Dragon Isles.

Tell me you don’t what what a “filler episode” is without telling me you don’t know what a “filler episode” is.

Play Dragonflight, then you’ll know.

Lighting Stormwind on fire, and sacking an enemy capital in response. Quests and forays into enemy territory, contest dropboxes in specially designated areas… the destruction of an entire civilization…

All mortal conflicts. Some of them extremely controversial and emotionally charged, even today. No world ending threats.

3 Likes

uhmmm have you played the last couple expansions?

I remember playing through the entire Outland outdoor story for the first time, getting on the boat to Northrend and thinking “I still have no idea who that guy in the BC cinematic was”.

It wasn’t until a flashback quest in Icecrown that I finally realized that was the Illidan person who kept getting mentioned in quests.

3 Likes

Huh? Proved what? Early BFA wasn’t a world ending threat and it worked. What are you disagreeing with and why are you so aggressive?

Yeah, it feels like a filler episode. I said what I said. It feels irrelevant and detached.

6 Likes

DF technically had all these things, but to me they all felt hollow, insincere, like whoever wrote them in was just checking a box. As someone who quite literally read every single quest, I felt that same disappointment.

Fyrakk as a villain was fairly well developed and fairly well executed and carried a respectable presence. That was about it for me, I found the zones to be breath taking, the nature of the conflicts to be sensible and mostly believable for the setting, but the overall story seemed to lack genuine passion, and was overall not compelling. I agree the overall tone of the expansion felt cartoony, safe and non threatening. Dragons, arguably the most iconic of all fantasy creatures didn’t feel like dragons, they felt more like gumdrops. I’m quite familiar with the Dragon Flights and how they differ from dragons in other fantasy settings but even in WoW they used to carry a strong, unpredictable, frightening, wise, powerful presence. For me the voice acting really missed the mark, might have been the way the lines were delivered or just how bland the dialog was but it felt sloppy.

I’ve enjoyed the expansion overall and there was a lot about the story I did enjoy, and the gameplay feels better than it has maybe ever. With that said, I concur this expansion deviated from the Warcraft feel, not in all ways but mainly in the War and Grit departments.

4 Likes

I know what to tell you. People like different things.

4 Likes

You must’ve missed my reply, allow me to quote it here for you:

I cant remember a single aspect of the BFA story I liked.