Derek cinematic

You can keep saying traitor, but no one cares about betraying a faction with no ideals. Why would anyway stay in the Horde if Sylvanas just makes it a hollow shell of the real thing? Sure, Baine’s action could have hypothetically caused more deaths, but surprise, they didn’t and Jaina got screwed anyway.

The war is pointless. No one knows what they’re fighting for except Sylvanas, and she doesn’t seem to care about anything other than her secret agendas. Since the world and his deity are dying, yeah, I’d want to not be in this war as well. But everyone’s still following Sylvanas hoping she stops being insane, and just hoping doesn’t seem to be working.

6 Likes

Game mechanics only define a class by its function, not its form. “Druid” may be an expression of the NE culture, but functionally all wielders of the Life Domain will work within a similar range. Thus, the “Druid Class”, not the “Druid Culture”. Priests, Shamans, Hunters, Warriors, and even Paladins are also like this … different expressions of a similar theme (but nowhere does the functional class delve into the individual cultural variants of each group).

Bluntly, you’re essentially arguing the NEs should get to be special with a force of magic that was not even created for them. The Emerald Dream is NOT something that was created for their use alone, its merely an expression of Life and what Azeroth would be like without the presence of intelligent creatures. All life on Azeroth innately ties into it, and thus all life on Azeroth should be able to learn to manipulate it given the time and teachings.

Its not cultural appropriation in the slightest.

7 Likes

Sylvanas is not on Malfurion’s level. She played a long game of attrition against him, that’s the only way she could fight him. Granted, that’s how she’s used to fighting as an elf ranger, but that’s still her best tactic. We don’t actually know how Baine would fair against her in a true duel. She’d have the advantage, but she’d probably underestimate him and get caught off guard as she is prone to doing.

1 Like

You are completely misunderstanding what I am saying and honestly I have neither time nor energy to correct you.

Lets just agree to disagree.

No. She toyed with the Horde’s best champions for a few minutes and then teleported out when she decided it had gone on long enough.

PS: That would be “a smirk and a simple flick of the wrist” as she popsicles Baine. :smiling_imp:

12 Likes

Well the problem there is in the Good War story, it was told that she quite literally tossed Malfurion around like a rag doll. If I am not mistaken he had some trouble getting up after that, might have read it wrong. Which makes everything even more complicated. In A Good War Sylvanas is winning handedly, in game Malfurion is winning handedly. The books not following the game makes everything confusing.

Even if there was a small chance that Baine could win, it would be too risky. I doubt Sylvanas would under estimate Baine. Before War Crimes she would, but not after. Especially when she realized Baine could break her with a simple squeeze. So she would do her best for that to not happen, not get touched, always keep her distance, or go to Banshee form. I don’t think Baine has an answer to that form. Would be actually cool if he was questing on the side to find a way to shut that down.

Lol of course she did.
Nothing better can be expected from the writers that brought us Night Elves being ambushed by Goblin shredders in Ashenvale of all places.

2 Likes

Scanning over the story again, it looks more like they were evenly matched. I’d expect some Tauren ancestors or the Earthmother/Elune to intervene or something and trap Sylvanas in her body so it’s a fair fight.

1 Like

Thank goodness for this cinematic. I had nearly forgotten about Theramore and how terrible I should feel about it. Close call.

21 Likes

You, and most of the people liking your post, are blood elves, formerly high elves, formerly Alliance, had your entire racial storyline pretty much wrapped up in BC by the Draenei (Alliance) until it was vaguely popped open again in Mists of Pandaria (originally to rejoin the Alliance)…

Also much of the Horde story (and it’s most vehement defenders) is driven by expired formerly Alliance humans living in old formerly Alliance territories and old formerly Alliance structures, the other vehement supporters tend to be nightborne from what I’ve experienced, which is just a fruit roll-up peel off of the night elf (Alliance, btw) lore.

So I guess it doesn’t actually bother y’all too much.

14 Likes

You sooo sure about the relevance of likes on an argument!!! Newflash: they are IRRELEVANT. And my point is still pretty much valid.

Btw I wouldn’t call Zandalar nor Highmountain Alliance oriented (stop being so short-sighted as to assume all Belf posters are all Closeted High Elf fanatics in disguise that love Belves because of the redundant, boring and overdone WC2 background -man, what I would give to get back my TFT / pre Sunwell patch Belves!!-, we DO enjoy Horde because is much more than Stormwind Human overlords and friends.

10 Likes

I don’t think this question warrants its own thread, so: Did Zelling just die then and there in the Stormsong cutscene?

I figured his days were numbered but jesus that was unceremonious. I’m upset, I liked him a lot.

3 Likes

Yeah Sylvanas just shoots him.

I expected nothing and I’m still let down.

5 Likes

I say this with all due sarcasm and enjoyment:

Ah Ha! Mind Control! I knew it. Even Blightcaller can’t like Sylvanas of his own free will. :rofl:

I think people have been fixated on a single description in A Good War, thinking it put Sylvanas on par with Malfurion and writing Sylvanas as somehow stronger than she has previously been portrayed as being, despite this single scene not actually giving us any conclusion towards how the fight was going. But what that scene doesn’t describe is if being bounced around through trees even caused Malfurion any harm or damage at all. It’s so often is these over the top superhero (and anime, for that matter) fights that heroes get blown through structures, like walls, buildings, mountains, or in this case trees¹, and get back up² like it was nothing at all³.

There was a tremendous explosion of darkness, and then a rising sound of collapsing trees. Saurfang ducked behind cover as an object flew through the air, bouncing off tree trunks before slamming to a halt in the dirt only thirty feet away.¹

The object raised its head—his head.²

Saurfang saw antlers. Without thinking, he threw his axe.

The moment it left his hands, he wanted to call it back. That was Malfurion Stormrage, alive and preparing to rejoin the fight against the warchief.³

1 Like

I’m surprised that Sylvanas never pulled the same stunt as Walder Frey from Game of Thrones(which he was condemned for in accordance to Greek Sacred Hospitality) or King Jehu from the Bible(which he was praised for): Have all of her potential enemies invited to Stormheim to be executed in one fell swoop!

Would it be unspeakable? Even if the Horde Leaders were all criminals(which most of them aren’t) it would only be unspeakable by Greek and Westeros Standards since Israel only extends it’s “Don’t Oppress Sojourners” law to those who aren’t disobeying the laws.

Just watched the cinematic. Aside from my personal gripes of shoving the Horde Civil War 2.0: Electric Boogaloo storybeats, I’ve two main criticisms.

• Jaina’s derpy dialogue of “IS HE THE BOMB?” made me chuckle. Pretty sure that wasn’t the intended effect. No idea how that line made it through. Immediatly I pictured Derek being filled up with Blight then sent over to Jaina/the Alliance to explode.

• Baine’s statement of “A life not being true to yourself isn’t a life worth living” is stupid when “being true” to one’s self is how a majority of Warcraft conflict starts. Isn’t Sylvanas being true to herself, what about the Forsaken. What about the orc’s genetic “cut down all the tree”?

6 Likes

For me, it was Baine’s line of “We have forgotten what truly matters.”

Because all it does is remind me that the Horde already “forgot what truly matters” like two years ago, remembered it, then forgot it again.
I’m sure this time they’ll write it down somewhere so they won’t forget a third time. Maybe tie a string around their finger.

16 Likes