Demoralizing shout/roar generating too much threat

I’ve been experimenting with demo shout spam and its effectiveness seems exaggerated. For example paladin and mage AOE have no trouble stealing aggro from me when I do a charge pull (so, even starting with bonus rage) and spam it the whole fight which contradicts the other anecdotal claims in this thread. I only shout once at the start of the pull so that a small heal doesn’t take one of the adds. Beyond that I’m back to tab + revenge/sunder.

I’d like to see some actual experimentation instead of anecdotes though. For all I know, everyone chiming in on this thread has only been running dungeons with under-geared mages.

It was hotfix nerfed long before you were trying it. Not sure why a blue never posted to confirm when the hotfixes went live since they announced they were coming and then just went silent on this topic.

Battle shout should now be the shout you’d use for AoE threat, not demo. Demo shout was bugged to multiply threat based on the number of targets, which was not how it worked in 1.12 so they nerfed/fixed it.

Battle shout was bugged and not giving the amount of threat it was supposed to, so assuming it was also hotfixed (why did no blue ever post to confirm these hotfixes were both live?!) then battle shout now generates the amount of threat it’s supposed to generate x the number of friendly targets you buff with it.

edit: this was the blue post about the bugs but they never followed up: Demoralizing shout is bugged and it is why we have this AoE meta - #64 by Aggrend-1483

1 Like

Battle shout is giving you threat per target buffed, including pets, and split to all mobs you are in combat with.

Demo shout will give threat, for all mobs hit, split to all mobs in combat with.

The bug was instead of splitting threat to all mobs in combat, it was applying it to each mob.

Demo shout threat wins when number of mobs > party members.

Neither values are high enough to hold enough threat from any dps, but it will hold against healing, because the healing threat was also too high - full threat on each mob instead of a split.

Battleshout has the added benefit of being able to gain threat on mobs that are far away from you, I generally bow pull, los while spamming battleshout and no dps can wreck the pull. And I do remember battleshout being used for threat in some raid situations way back in vanilla, like razorgore in bwl when you opted for warrior kiting.

1 Like