Delves incentivize group play

Right? It’s crazy how they totally flipped the script on those delves. They were all about the solo life at first, then boom - suddenly it’s all “group up or GTFO”. And now the anti-solo crowd is all smug like “told ya so, go make some friends lol”. Gotta love the irony there. Classic Blizzard move if you ask me!

3 Likes

Given that 2 man groups take less damage and mobs have less health than solo players due to scaling, we can safely say that delves are not incentivising solo play.

2 Likes

Git gud bro

That is not the point of an MMO. An MMORPG, which is what WoW is, is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game. This literally just means that this is an RPG game with a lot of people potentially playing in the same world. It has never meant that group-content is a must or forced, and in every MMORPG that I have played, there have always been people who preferred to play them solo, when and where possible. However, it is common that these games do have a lot of content where players are playing either together or against one another. In most of these games, that is optional.

What you should expect in an MMORPG is really just a world that is full of other people who may or may not try to interact with you. Furthermore, you should expect any type of player within it.

1 Like

Yeah man idk. I’ve been playing within delves recently and got up to tier 5 or 6 just playing solo. It’s hard but it isn’t impossible and requires you to actually think about your rotation. Delves are totally doable and anyone who says otherwise isn’t being truthful about it and is just hopping on hate train.

1 Like

This guy knows everything! Pretty cool for someone that isn’t a Blizzard employee, isn’t privy to confidential, insider information, has no access to any kind of analytics to support what he’s saying, and doesn’t know what any of the other millions of players do, care about, or think! Pretty awesome skill! You must be in politics!

I think it depends on class/spec as well, which is something Blizz will need to address for solo play.

I’m handling tier 8’s fine thus far as a 565ilvl Unholy DK.

But it seems pretty clear to me that there are classes and specs that will have a much tougher time.

I plan to give Shadow Priest a shot at some point, but the difference in the toolkit Shadow has vs Unholy for soloing them seems pretty notable.

1 Like

So, the enemies in a 2 player delve have less health and less damage than enemies in a 1 player delve. This is obviously an unintended scaling issue. Another Blizzard L, LMAO.

1 Like

Trying to get it past two days. Hardest part is bursting down the cocoon he shots out every 30-45 seconds.

If that is not the point of a new feature then do not tell people in all of your marketing material that that is partially what the mode was designed for. Yes, its an MMO but that is such a brain dead take. Do you do the Awakening Machine with others? Do you craft with others? Do you gather? Is the campaign designed for group play? Not every aspect on an MMO is group orientated. This is not an intelligent argument. There is a dialog around a new mode and all you say is “thats just the way it is stop complaining”. This is how you keep feedback from reaching developers to improve the experience of players. I have great respect for the people who make this game, it is a masterpiece in so many ways but that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t levy criticism of new systems and their design. In fact if you DO care you should be speaking up about preferences to see if its a shared sentiment and in this case it seems to be.

On that note, the devs have really built a beautiful expansion, it just needs some tuning.

3 Likes

Im clearing 8s solo, but I agree with the OP.

These were intended as a solo gearing path. Take away brann if you group up

These are very possible solo, and so far I’ve done up to tier 6 on my rogue in 570-575 gear only obtained through world content–plan on trying to push that more today, and after I get my great vault rewards next week, with a little luck, this should be much easier. Although, much depends on factors like class, spec, and gear/ilvl. If you are trying to do delves at the required ilvl base or lower, depending on the listed factors, it may be more or less challenging, of course.

I do agree with you in that this isn’t “proper progression as a solo player.” It seems that the best way to approach delves, currently, is to either just group up for them and/or just gear up in group content first, then dive into the delves. So it does feel bad, at least from that solo perspective, that group content has already trivialized much obtained from delves for those willing/wanting to take part in it.

I do agree with the idea bouncing around that delve difficulty needs to be better balanced between solo and group content, at least. I do not want delves made easier for solo; I like the challenge of them, but I also don’t think group play should be easier. I would also like it if the different classes and specs were better balanced for them as well, although that is asking for a lot from Bliz.

1 Like

Whatever they were advertised as, delves should be solo only. The game has enough group content and they will never be able to balance them for different group sizes when balancing between the specs is already going to be a stretch. At least with the specs they could add an aura modifier of some sort as a last resort.

So long as grouping is possible it is by default group content as that will always be the path of least resistance. It cheapens the experience when you could attain everything more easily by simply grouping, and people would be rightfully up in arms if you could cheese M+ with 10 people or raids with a full 40.

And just to head it off at the pass, I was able to easily and quickly clear to tier 8 and then chain my keys. I’m not stuck or even feeling any pressure to group. The ability to group is just a fundamental design flaw for what could be fantastic evergreen content and a new pillar of the endgame.

4 Likes

It gets funnier:

In a 3 player group the delve enemies also have less HP and DMG than enemies in 1 player delves.

5 Likes

I think you responded to the wrong person as my post was essentially arguing that a game being an MMORPG does not mean that group content is a must.

No. They shouldn’t. There’s nothing wrong with a choice for friends and family to have their own progression if they don’t have full groups.

Just balance the groups to be the same challenge.

1 Like

This is quite literally impossible. That’s the point. That’s why they need to be solo only.

You have almost the entire rest of the game to play with friends.

No it isn’t. Scaling, adding more stuff inside, etc. It’s not difficult at all.

Well said, and true.

It’s always OK to give feedback to a corporation about their products/services.

So I’m enjoying my popcorn.

I called this months ago when delves were announced.