Delves incentivize group play

We are playing an MMORPG why would group content not be incentivized?

A five-man team can steamroll all four bountiful delves everyday in probably about 20 minutes while half paying attention. A solo player is going to take a couple of hours on average, with full concentration, is my guess. Unless the solo player has all the time in the world, they’re going to fall massively behind since the group players can go do their world quests, or m+ while the soloist is still grinding along in the first delve.

There’s no question that delves are a group meta, and only a solo novelty. Just more crap where you have to find other people on a bulletin board and sell yourself to a toxic community and hope you don’t get some sperg or try hard who wants to take out his antisocial tendencies on transmogs he doesn’t like. I’m not interested in that anymore, so delves do nothing to bring me back to this game.

Just offering my feedback to Blizzard.

3 Likes

Reading is fundamental

1 Like

true i agree. but it has nothing to do with delves being easier, better and faster when not done in a group which disincentivizes doing them solo which in turn negates any point of marketing them to be solo friendly alternatives.

thanks, i already play that too.

2 Likes

I would prefer they be solo exclusive. But I would settle for it taking the same amount of time for five mans as it does a soloist.

I can solo a normal dungeon, that doesn’t make it solo content. The meta is clearly five man. And this is no different.

3 Likes

Do you not understand how leniently the delves are scaling as you add more players? Solo players are getting punished numerically by going in solo.

You cannot pick tank for Bran. I don’t think you really understand how delves work.

Did I ever say I can’t clear them solo? The problem is Blizzard trying so desperately to encourage group gameplay in content that was advertised to scale fairly to solo players, a problem which you have not addressed by trying to personally insult me.

3 Likes

So I misspoke about being able to pick tank, big woop. I clearly understand it enough to be able to solo it without issues.

If it feels significantly easier in groups then you are probably being carried.

Where did they advertise that solo and group would be the same difficulty?

No, I don’t know people who I can queue into that content with. It has nothing to do with skill. For a new player ALL meaningful end game content is gated by iLvl. Its not just blizzard, it’s also social. It effects the groups you can be invited to. It effects the people who will play with you. It effects how people treat you, case in point here with you looking at my parses and ridiculing me because they weren’t high enough.

Yeah, and I’m new and I have never said I was a top player. I’m not trying to be a top player. Still have my opinion and its still valid. This game isn’t just for people who are good at it or have been playing it for 20 years, if it were there would be far fewer people playing it and Blizzard wouldn’t be constantly talking about appealing to new players.

2 Likes

I am finding these threads to be hilarious to read through. It amazes me–truly, it does–that there are as many people out there who look at content through the lenses of “I can’t do this, therefore no one can.” I also don’t understand why these self-proclaimed solo/casual/mid-core/whatever term they want to use this time think they have to keep up with everyone else. If they’re playing solo, what does it matter?

My Bran, because outside of a couple of dungeons today I haven’t been doing dungeons I’ve just been messing around in delves with my 80s, is 32. He trucks. I don’t have a single character that is 600 ilvl yet (technically the shaman is 599 now, after two days of doing all 4 bountiful 8s). I’ve been scared to go in them with groups because I don’t want some random nub to waste my lives and ruin my bountiful run (after all, to get the chest you have to finish it with lives according to the tool tip at least).

I have a buddy who hasn’t played since Nighthold in Legion. He came back this expansion because we begged him. I’ll be honest, he’s not anything to write home about in terms of skill at this game (we often joke in voice chat when he’s like “omg what killed me” and we’re like “the giant purple circle under you?”). We enjoy his company and have for many years.

He… who has done 4 heroic dungeons since hitting 80… and is only a 575 ilvl solo’d up to a 7 last night. Now… he struggled at the end and only had one life and managed to pull off a kill, but still, he solo’d to that point.

This is content designed for everyone, but marketed towards the folks who may not want to progress in the competitive environments of M+ or Raids (thus = causal). It can be done solo or it can be done in pairs or even in groups up to 5. It is not specifically designed to only be solo’d and that’s it. If that was the case, they wouldn’t have allowed it possible to have more than one person.

This is content that is designed to last for an entire season (not two days)… I bet half the people on the forums complaining either aren’t using Bran appropriately (when a healer complains that Bran doesn’t do damage, they’re not doing it right because I watch bran do > 1M dps on some pulls, and almost always 400-600k on bosses) and that their Bran is likely < level 15. None of them seem to comprehend the fact that the game literally tells you for a Tier 8 the recommended ilvl to complete the Delve is 600. Most of these folks are probably well below that. If you are below that, the only way you can compensate for your character being underpowered is for your skill to make up the delta (clearly they lack that).

This 100%.

That is still a them problem. If they’re playing by themselves why do they need to keep up with the herd?

It’s content that can be performed solo (which is proven). They never once made the claim it was exclusively for solo play. :roll_eyes:

What level can you not solo at appropriate gear level? If you can’t solo any of them at appropriate gear level on any class, that is frankly a you issue that you need to work on. I get this is a brash response, but I’ve watched a ton of people (people who can barely handle M+ in any capacity) solo these on their characters at a subpar gear level. You just need to up the skill with practice. Experience isn’t automatic. The only people who “have” to do group to do it are the ones who lack the skillset to perform it solo. There are plenty of people out there solo-ing it who are literal proof that it can be done. And, before you come at me, no, I am not some min-max raider. I don’t min-max anything. I do my own talent builds and don’t follow guides, and I haven’t been part of a raid team since Tomb of Sargeras and even then we didn’t even get AOTC.

(p.s. Sendryn, I realize I said “you” a lot, but please know that was a rhetorical “you” and not specifically directed at you, lol. I agree with what you’ve said).

4 Likes

I know that the first piece of gear I’ll get next week will be ilvl 600. So that’s cool. Nice to also get themessage when the vault gets upgraded from doing delvers of a higher tier.

That, at least, is a piece of good news.

You can do one delve a day and technically not fall behind. Want to know how? Keys. There are seven days a week, you get less than seven keys a week, groups do not get more keys than solo players.

Literally no one is twisting your arm to force you to pug with strangers for delves, play it Solo or play it with friends because you clearly don’t like grouping with strangers and delves are content where you are not forced to group with strangers if you don’t have enough friends to fill a full five man.

I would contend that people are forced socially to play as efficiently as possible - this thread is a PRIME example of that.

I can solo tier 7 as mage just fine and that gets me hero track gear at the vault. You do not need a group if you don’t want one.

as it should be. this is an MMORPG.

Right but if it takes a soloist four times longer than a group, (not to mention four times the effort) then they’re missing out on all that time they could be doing other content. So they’re going to fall behind, unless they put in more time than group players put in.

So the meta is groups for delves, by far. Just as it’s the meta for normal dungeons.

Blizzard should have a solo meta content. Content that’s for solo play. Like mage tower was. Bringing a five-man group to mage tower would have trivialized that too. It would be a stupid decision. Just like it’s a stupid decision to trivialize delves with five man teams.

A lot of people bought this expansion thinking delves were going to be that solo meta gear progression content. They aren’t.

3 Likes

What other content? if they are a true soloist their content is literally killing 10 mobs and then flying around Dornogal.

Mage tower was also for the try-hards. Lets not kid ourselves. I can play my fury warrior just fine. I have ever hardly died in a raid setting. But mage tower challenges? Nah, F that. A weapon skin was NOT worth the time or effort required. It was bragging rights, and nothing more.

Ad the end of the day, if you need to brag about your accomplishments in a videogame, you need to re-examine your priorities.

1 Like

How long have you been playing wow? And how many hours a week?

A person who prefers solo play and solo content can still grit their teeth and do m+. There’s lots of things Blizzard could do to alleviate that, but that’s not the topic of discussion right now.

The point is, many people believed that delves were going to be a solo meta, relaxing content that could do while still keeping up with efficiency.

But it’s just another five man bulletin board posting resume offering thing like everything else.

And that’s Blizzard’s prerogative if that’s who they only want to cater to. Go for it. I’m just offering my feedback from someone who bought the game thinking there was going to be some solo content here where one could maintain efficiency playing solo in it.

3 Likes

Again, you don’t seem to be understanding how the scaling is actually working.

The damage and health increase of enemies as you add more players is not commensurate with the advantage you have gained by adding those players.

Again, you insult me instead of addressing the actual issue of unfair scaling.

Did you even watch the dev interviews about delves? They were designed to scale to the number of players participating, with solo players being a perfectly viable option.

At this point, soloing the delves feels like a challenge you have imposed upon yourself rather than an option.

If you were wrong about Bran having a tank role, could you also be wrong about the scaling being so insanely lenient for groups?

The solo players here are OK with the concept of challenging content or the concept of delves taking longer to gear than dungeons or raids. So can you address the actual issue of the insanely lenient scaling for groups rather than trying to personally insult solo players?

2 Likes