Delaryn needs to be part of the story

Bullying is what tauren boys do best.

8 Likes

I just know from data-mining Velonara would have been captured by the Scarlet Crusade while searching for a pupil who had gone missing. Death Hunter Moorgoth then recruited both the Horde and Alliance with rescuing her from the Scarlet Monastery, with the Hunters having special dialogue as a result of being the Huntmaster.

The scenario was suppose to be 8.1.5.

2 Likes

I don’t understand why they tried so hard to make another Sylvanas out of Delaryn. Everything past the burning is a broken parallel – Sylvanas didn’t join the Scourge of her own free will, and the second she got it back she was plotting to backstab the faction she’d been shanghaied into. Because… they killed her, massacred her people, and destroyed her homeland. Delaryn has no reason to stick around in the Horde.

19 Likes

Except for the fact she is, at the moment, Forsaken™ by Tyrande.

This is sounding to me like “Rat poison may make you and all your friends sick to your stomachs, but maybe if we use it in a recipe, you’ll enjoy it then.”

Why would I want to “explore the dilemma” of a character the Alliance likes being lost to them and a constant reminder of the awfulness of the BfA war campaign for the Horde? Especially when there are actual Forsaken who could be benefiting from that story attention instead?

6 Likes

Which falls flat since Tyrande immediately gave them a chance to rejoin the night elves and she, along with Sira, still decided to join the Forsaken.

12 Likes

No, Delaryn doesn’t need to be part of the story.

While she was presented better than this in Elegy, in the questing this character existed to cry and to die. She did both of those things. It was awful, now we don’t need her to come back again. Night Elves have given enough pathos to this story, and I am sick to death of having them abused over and over again for tearjerker moments, tragedy, human motivational material, or Horde power fantasy fodder.

Enough.

Throw Delaryn in a woodchipper and build a better character, especially if the idea is to have her represent the Horde here. Give them an actual Horde character instead of a hand-me-down Alliance one.

3 Likes

I vote to make Delaryn the new Dark Lady of the forsaken.

The odd thing is they seem totally uninterested in the horde having horde characters these days. They all have to be somehow sanctioned by the alliance narrative.

14 Likes

That started as far back as Legion. Since then, we’ve had a steady stream of formerly neutral or Alliance characters grafted onto the Horde, instead of developing minor characters that have been Horde all along.

6 Likes

That’s why I refuse to believe that she joined the Horde willingly. It just makes no sense in any shape or form.

3 Likes

My dear NEFPA, Delaryn is part of the story.

She is learning to deal with Undeath by her betters - the Undead Alliance Humans named Menethil and Proudmoore, who were grafted onto the Horde like a parasite.

9 Likes

Talking to the dead is also very much a Shaman thing, but the only one present is Thrall, and he’s acting like a Warrior.

This expansion just… does not interest me. It feels like an excuse to write about Anduin and friends’ drama.

Like Sylvanas looks regretful that she must control Anduin… why? She has no relationship with him other than the fact that they’re both big name NPCs and he’s her prisoner. That’s it. The start and end.

/rant

10 Likes

Well, clearly you wouldn’t, I get it. I’m not denying their stories were handled badly ( and for both sides ) but I think they deserve better and I for one would like to see more of them.

On that I agree. The tendency to write actual Forsaken characters out of the story and replace them with the likes of Calia is worrying, to say the least. I don’t like that either. And I’m not advocating a starring role for Delaryn or Derek in the future Forsaken storyline. I just want something better for them than what they got, namely being reduced to a mere plot device to drive home the point how evil and ruthless Sylvanas is. And be forgotten afterwards.

( I’m aware I’m in the minority on that though and if it doesn’t happen then it doesn’t happen.)

1 Like

We used to get a lot of exposure to the rank and file undead through questlines. You’d meet that mad scientist at his impromptu lab, or help some lady recover her lost felpuppy. Occasionally a minor lieutenant would hint at a larger plot. And the major lore characters would show up from time-to-time to heighten the narrative.

Now we still have those major lore characters showing up – but we left everyone else at home. I don’t know how apothecaries feel about the House of Plagues, or how the science of fleshcraft has been changed.

Same goes for all of the rest of the citizens of Azeroth.

14 Likes

The whole “leave everyone behind and have no interaction with your own faction” is something that has been a thing since… I wanna say… Uldum in Cataclysm, but it became much more of a thing in MoP. Though with Uldum we were still traveling with recurring neutral NPCs (and there were so many faction-specific quests in Cataclysm, I can’t fault it in that regard), and MoP it was meant to fit a greater narrative in regards to the faction war, and it did have faction-specific quests that were very meaningful… sometimes.

Though I don’t think the whole “leave them behind” aspect of questing really started to feel invasive until Legion for me. I guess arguably WoD, but I felt disconnected from all of WoD in general, so it’s hard to say.

I know a lot of players were feeling itchy to go back to those kinds of quests after WoD and Legion, and BfA promised to be that… but then it wasn’t. Not really, anyway. There were bits and pieces like the Bilgewater and Darkspear quests in Naz’mir, but then Vol’dun was completely cut off from all Horde NPCs. Zuldazar was neat, but it was also a brand new world story in a similar vein to some Pandaria zones (I’m drawing a blank, but I think the experience was similar for Alliance BfA too). It was also hard to really be motivated to care about the faction war in general after that dead-on-arrival prelaunch event too, especially knowing that the story was going to culminate in ending where MoP ended… again.

I think what pissed me off about BfA was knowing well before SL was announced that the next two expansions to follow would be “go visit another world without any faction NPCs” stories.

/5 AM rant

8 Likes

Seems lately Blizzard have a nihilist in charge of their narrative & lore. They’re ridiculously destructive on a often boring or stupid scale, I wouldn’t be surprised if they bring Delaryn back into the story simply to kill her off sadly.

3 Likes

Calia and Derek should get nothing but being killed off like the trash they are. Nothing of value is lost with these characters. Screw them and fans that may like them. They are not real Forsaken and never will be.

2 Likes

How interesting.

I don’t think they tried hard in-so-far as she’s a minor character with relatively little lore focus.

Except being confused and angry about the poor nature of their society.

1 Like

The less follow up we have on BFA storylines the happier I’ll be. Well and truly done with that tire fire.

7 Likes