Dear Blizzard

Dear Blizzard, I realize that you may not care but sharding is terrible. Possibly not to your “core” players but to the subset of us that RP is is heart wrenching to walk through Stormwind, a lively and bustling city on a non sharded day and have it empty. The Hearthstone event is over and STILL Moon Guard’s Stormwind looks like any other sad empty server

12 Likes

Tuesday’s maintenance will likely remove the sharding.

6 Likes

here is to hopinghuffs copious amounts of copium

2 Likes

Its funny how their logic to Sharding is to do it to a whole server when only a handful of locations they not only choose have it happen but don’t purposely and properly phase during said events.

When a World Boss crops up? Server lag. Why? More than 40 players going nuts on a single boss while there’s another 40 some players around the zone doing something else. You’d think they’d fix that by phasing the players doing world bosses from the rest of the zone.

Then you got these Holidays/Events, which is the most asinine design is making Holiday/Events in games where it is done within cities of already high population. Always right at some capital, both Stormwind City, and Orgrimmar, and whatever current expansion city. Naturally where the most visited places currently for many reasons. And yet only a small, SMALL portion of these places affect the entire zone due to influx of activity. They can’t be bothered to properly phase out a allotted amount of players from clumping together from the rest of the zone that are truly the ones causing that lag, not the people who were originally there well before it got bad. Nope, “RPers causing it, it makes the whole realm lag, shard it!” And even then, it just forces RPers to group up in hopes it brings them to the rest of the instance that has everyone in it. Its so damn backwards. Another reason why events that will have expected traffic needs to have their own phasing to keep everything from happening.

I probably don’t know how their game works and their servers under the coding hood for it to justify sharding a whole server, let alone a city for RPers but given what I’ve seen since this expansion, it looks like if they marked specific spots for holidays, phase them out from the rest of the zone to a limited amount of players. And it is clear sharding does nothing as intended either since we had this experienced during Prepatch as the Primalists invaded various locations on Kalimdor/Eastern Kingdoms. It got so bad it actually crashed the servers on some of them because people just grouped up and managed to get more than 80+ players fighting in one spot. And what’s hilariously bad about this sharding logic is this was turned on before this happened. It did nothing, it still caused lag and it ONLY lagged in those affected zone, not Stormwind, not Orgrimmar, just the places where people congregated. The only exception was Stormwind at the docks to get to the Dragon Isles but it doesn’t change the fact they could’ve properly designed it so it didn’t affect the rest of the zone as well.

4 Likes

What a surprise, the sharding is still up after Tuesday maintenance. Again.

5 Likes

The number of phases seem to had been reduced to two, however, they are still there. Lets just hope they fix it soon

3 Likes

Not sure if it will help or even be seen but I put in a ticket today

2 Likes

Here, go post into tech support and let’s see if it gets their attention any quicker - we shouldn’t have to do this, but here we are:

3 Likes

I (also) put it a ticket in game fwiw. Maybe someone will actually see it.

4 Likes

The sharding mechanic and its consequences have been a disaster for the roleplaying community.

Considering the number of players in Elwynn Forest right now attempting to crash the server at all costs, sharding is necessary. Its either that or remove trial accounts from Moon Guard, make them play on a new server ONLY.

Then let the server burn.

If these stacks of silicon and flecks of gold are not strong enough to withstand the coming reckoning, then they do not deserve to exist.

Remember when Duskwood became a cool hub for a few weeks last time sharding happening? Whats wrong with just going on a little vacation to spooky scary skeleton land? Ironforge is also just a train ride away. I get that it is annoying but as a community™️ you’d think we’d have a standard backup for when these things inevitably happen during large events.

We’d also love to see yall in Org. A little desert heat might do yall some good and give a little boost to Horde side.

Because Stormwind is like Hollywood. Hey look at me!!!

I think some players fail to realize you don’t need someone else watching you to have your own adventure. Just use the voices in your head and think “What would the npcs say to me as if this was Skyrim or some other solo RPG.”

I’ve been doing it for years.

I can’t relate to the hundreds of other players who come online and turn Stormwind into a giant chat forum while waiting for something to happen.

Ask yourself this, when heroes aren’t fighting the forces of evil to save the world, what else do they do for work in their spare time?

• I wouldn’t mind a tailor who makes excellent suits or dresses for customers.
  • Or how about someone who sells potions from an alchemy shop.
  • What about a blacksmith who forges weapons on demand for other players in Ironforge.
  • Where is the clinic for general check-ups, even heroes need to patch themselves up.
  • What about a barber who works at the salon doing hair, or the ladies who will get nails done.
  • Where is the travel planner if i want to take a trip to some far off location. Or visit the spa? (Giant oasis near Feralas that is a mountain top day spa if you explore more)
  • What about a mount clinic, takes care of your mounts when they are injured, etc.
  • What about a hunting excursion for those who enjoy game hunting?
  • Where are the archaeology guilds that explore and solve the mysteries of the world?
  • What about a restaurant experience. <A Taste of Azeroth for a name. I want to come in and buy a meal and be waited upon while engaging in soft conversation. Or sit at a bar for mixed drinks.
  • I need to have some hidden pockets installed. The enchanted ones where i can store 15 weapons, all my potions, or other items in a void pocket that holds it all. Ever wonder how your character can hold so much stuff?
  • What if i want a weapon enchanted? ASMR is becoming very popular so why not RP it out.
  • What about Magic Class? Using the 4 tents for each school of magic in Suramar is a great location for holding class.
  • Mount traveling. I want to relax between cities, let someone else do the driving so i can take in the scenery.
  • Local inns require someone to show me where i can sleep if i am tired. I may need to rent a bed for a evening.
  • Who are you gonna call? Ghost Busters, or the “Specter Elimination Squad” to avoid copyright.

I’ve given several ideas for job opportunities. RP style jobs. All it takes is the will to do it and make it fun.