Dear Blizzard, it’s been 6 months

how is that different from now?

If the lobby dog is a dps, you’re not gaining rating. You go 3-3, and the lobby dog goes 0-6. Also there’s that occasion where the lobby dog actually wins 1 round… against you. Now you are 2-4.

The 0-6 DPS might start on my team, but they’ll eventually go on the other team.

I won’t lose rating just because they were with me during the first round.

In a one round system, I might keep getting matched with the 0-6 DPS, and not go against one.

not in an all caster lobby, which is more and more the case the more you climb as we are in a caster meta.

yeah but youre not gaining any rating either. get enough of those ques where you spend 1-2 hours and move nowhere youre going to stop queing, its human nature. No one likes to be stagnant.

over time this will average out to every healer and dps. Everyone would experience the same thing.

Just like now, we can all relate to having felt like the lobby is at best a break even when we join it and we can all relate to the player thats going 0-6.

Yeah, but in a one round system, I’d be losing rating.

Depending how unlucky I am, I might keep getting matched with the 0-6 DPS. I’d lose tons of rating.

That’s not necessarily untrue but it obviously is determinant on the varying skill levels. I’ve 6-0’d 3 melee lobby’s on my Mage, not even because I played well but because they all felt going one of the melee was the better option than going the frost mage so I literally PvE’d and controlled the opposing healer. I know destro/demo locks experience this even now. It’s more true for a single melee in a full ranged lobby but even then it depends. WW and DH are probably fine. DK and Rogue are also likely fine.

Again, this is still completely based around skill. I just played an SS earlier with a demo/enh/DH as a mage with 2 shaman healers. By all accounts I was the lobby dog because shamans counter me like crazy and DH is more anti caster than DK at this point. I went 3-3

I really do think this is a copium take. they would probably be shorter than current RSS games but they would still be probably double random BGs

1 Like

then you would also gain rating when you qued into players against a lobby dog. over time it would average itself out to be equal.

And in reality, in solo shuffle, you arent competing against the other team. You are competing against the other healer and other healers in the SS ladder.

Everyone would experience the exact same thing. Its not reasonable to say that you would be the only healer to get 6 lobby dogs in a row that cause you to lose rating.

Thus, it feels like coin flips.

That takes a lot of games over a lot of time. There could be huge win/loss streaks.

In the 6 round system, things immediately average out during the same game.

No. Some people would go on lucky streaks, while others go on unlucky streaks.

The lucky streak people could get their elite sets and stop queuing. The unlucky streak people end up far below where they should be and they have an even longer climb back up.

Of course varying degrees of skill. If you are a glad player playing placement games, yeah you are going to overcome those challenges. If your rating is at the MMR that you should be at, then the same doesnt hold true a MAJORITY of time. In other words, there are far more instances where the outcomes I suggest hold true than overcoming those challenges, while overcoming those challenges may be possible as well. Lets also not forget that the experience is also going to differ if you are playing say a S-Tier spec like Fire Mage versus say a severely underbalanced spec like Outlaw. (thats not to imply what you were doing, I have no way of knowing what is true for you)

which is the same thing that happens now in Solo Shuffle.

Blizzard doesnt look at metrics for success over 6 rounds. They look at metrics for success over a lengthy period of time. If I que up as healer and a DPS is a lobby dog and I go 3-3, does that mean I should stop queing? I didnt gain rating, so I will never gain rating, so no point in queing? That doesnt make any sense. No you reque because over the lengthy que session you hope to climb.

And if you dont climb on Monday, do you stop queing? No you try que again on Tuesday to see if you climb.

If I’m stuck in an unfavorable lobby with and I am at a disadvantage with possible comps, I am waiting for that lobby to end. Healers experience the same thing.

All this averages out over a long period of time. I can go on an unlucky streak playing SS on a Saturday because I’m hungover and my reaction time isnt what it could be. So what you suggest still happens in current Solo Shuffle, so what is the difference then really if it happens now?

Lets also not forget the Rets that got rating during those couple of weeks they were S++++++ Tier and the people that lost rating because of that. No rating was refunded there. And thats a balance issue, which is essentially a flip of a coin. Someone who loves Outlaw rogue more than the other two specs cant be blamed for how underbalanced that spec is. They also couldnt be blamed for playing the meta spec or choosing not to play the meta spec thus suffering more “unlucky” streaks.

The lucky streak people get their elite sets and stop queuing. They’re not obligated to keep playing games until they bring their average down to 50%.

The long period of time explanation doesn’t really help players on losing streaks. They might just stop playing out of frustration because RNG heavily influences win rates in a 1 round system. In their case, negatively.

same thing happens now. people get their elite sets and stop queing. people get lucky lobbies now, very favorable lobbies multiple times in a row. This wouldnt change with a different Solo Que.

you could of said the same thing about players in season 1 when Ret was S++++ Tier. You could say the same thing now when people get unfavorable lobbies twice in a row. The difference is now, those 2 unfavorable lobbies will be over the course of 1.5-2 hours. Whereas with Solo Que Skirm, those 2 unfavorable lobbies would occur over 20-30 minutes. Assuming DPS perspective.

Healers would get instant ques regardless. But being on a losing streak as healer currently wouldnt be any different than being on a losing streak with Solo Que Skirm.

i don’t necessarily disagree with your response but i don’t know if it happens the majority of the time to the average player

i personally think fire is not even mid-high A tier as far as RSS is concerned which is why i play frost mainly. i have way more tools to get melee off me and my damage is instant every minute with baked in AoE slows attached

hansol, aeghis, setback all will play fire like it’s an S-tier spec no matter the actual state of the spec, but without GC currently, fire damage is only slightly better than last season and with GC- especially post nerf this week- you are KOS against any melee. RSS healers in most brackets just won’t be able to keep up

I mean this isnt really the discussion for what is S-Tier vs what is not, but Ignite does insane damage and coupled with 200k Fireballs, that makes the damage unhealable. But I digress on S-Tier vs not S-Tier.

Back on topic, I actually think it happens to the average player all the time. Most of my guild chat is litterally about lobby dogs or unfavorable lobbies vs favorable lobbies and praying to the lobby gods. Its the majority of what my friends experience and lower 1700 ratings and up to glad ratings. Its just the nature of the beast, I have found.

in BG or controlled 3v3 settings. try to do that in a rshaman/disc lobby with 3 melee. all i’m sayin

i mean, wouldn’t this just be a classic example of making excuses, no matter how potentially valid, as to why someone is where they are?

it would be very easy for a warrior to say “welp i’m losing rating here” in a lobby with 3 ranged, but good players find a way to to get through and usually take the opportunity as a way to get better

i know melee that thought those lobbys were unwinnable for them so they literally never went 3-3 no matter how bad the other players were or how possible it was

and because i think that mentality is a losing one, it wouldn’t really change anything if we went from RSS to a solo skirm system. the ques might be a little shorter, but not by much. the lobbies would be just as bad even if it would be 1 game vs 6. and those melee, for example, would feel the exact same way about facing multiple ranged multiple games in a row. the difference would be 1 6 round game turns into 6 straight ques

i know which one would be more demotivating, personally

1 Like

No, not necessarily. You think those people that lost rating because Ret was S+++ Tier and Rets were dominating lobbies were thinking, damn I could do something better. Sometimes things are just out of your control, like Ret balance, like something being so overpowered humans dont have the capability to react that quick.

Sure you should try to learn from every game win or lose, but that doesnt mean thats the normal. Sure its possilble, sure you should try, but none of that means over coming the match up challenges is the norm. Its actually the rarity. I dont think, as you put it, happens to the majority of the average player, that they are able to over come those challenges on a regular basis (assuming equal skill). Sure of course a glad can do it at 1600 rating on a regular basis, but thats not what we are talking about here.

I disagree that its a losing mentality. Its actually awareness of what you are up against and what the feat actually is when you win one of those.

Theres no guarantee you would get the same comp make up for 6 games where as you get the gauranteed same make of the lobby with 6 rounds. Probability would suggest more variance and thus the likely hood of favorable lobbies increases per time spent.

The main difference would be the que times to get back and play. I disagree with your assessment that que times wouldnt be that much shorter, I think they would be shorter by about a 3rd. Thats 3x as many games in the same amount of time. The frequency in which a player can play can and often does, encourage them to keep playing.

For instance if its 10:50 pm and I need to go to bed soon, say 11:30 pm for work, I cant que another Solo Shuffle. I wont have time to complete one even if one popped on its average pop time. So I am going to log off. Where as in a Solo Skirm, I am going to get 2 more pops so I will continue to play closer to 11:30pm. Even I am doing well, I may even que past 11:30pm mildly just to squeeze one more in. So you gain time played metrics if you are blizzard, faster ques for DPS and Healers (less time in each game). Everyone wins, except the people that absolutely love a game mode that has only existed for 1 xpac and a half (and only half an xpac at rated).

6 months? oh thats cute.

what about 5 and a half years?

its been 5 and a half years since we got a new battleground… and that BG was… SEETHING SHORE

PUKE PUKE PUKE

2 Likes

If they had done one in SL it’d probably have anima powers. :dracthyr_blob_dance_animated: I’d have liked if they had tried something, though, from retrieving pinecones in Ardenweald to controlling anima spires in Revendreth map. The zones were neato.

1 Like

They massively increased dampening at the very end of beta. I never had time to log on and try it out, I did queue quite a bit prior to that and found it fun.

2 Likes

Was I alone in thinking that when people asked for solo queue they just wanted like an automated lfg system for 3’s? I guess I never thought too deeply about it, but I just assumed people hated the archaic lfg system and trying to manually put teams together and wanted it all automated for the most part. Maybe some filters and you throw yourself into the system to get matched with others. Never dreamed of what we have now tbh.

2 Likes