Dealing with Rogues and Warriors in PVP

Just started playing the class. Really struggling against rogue stuns and Warriors who I just can’t get off me even if I use Landslide, Wing Buffet or Tail Swipe. They just have too much going on to close the gap. Maybe once I’m better geared, I’ll survive more? Only in honor gear atm.

I’m still learning Hover etc. so it will take time, but my early impressions that rogues and warriors are tough for me right now.

I saw someone saying our spell range is too low, and I agree when it comes to PVP it sucks since we are so squishy.

1 Like

Definitely use the PvP talent that causes a stacking slow. It’s very hard to get them off you even with the few tricks evoker has and the most reliable and consistent one is that PvP talent.

Also sometimes the best defense is a good offense. You can try to intimidate melee opponents by causing enough damage to make them panic and focus on defending themselves. That’s really a last ditch effort though. But whatever you do, don’t simply try to walk away from a melee. Either stand and fight or use a movement ability.

There is also a talent that prevents roots while using hover. That combined with the slow can grant you some space.

Unfortunately avalanche is not a very good talent since even with a talent point in it it has a long cool down and breaks far too easily. The spell that causes enemies to walk towards you is a lot more useful and can be used more frequently. The downside being that it actually brings enemies closer which is less than awesome with melee opponents, but it’s still the best choice.

Lastly don’t get discouraged. Evoker PvP is pretty hard since they truly are glass cannons with few utilities for saving themselves once they are caught, but practice and a good understanding of the other classes abilities will help.

1 Like

Yeah, I love it, so won’t be giving up. I had to cut down the alts and choose one class to play, and this is it. The more I play, the better I’ll get at dealing with it.

When rogues are on me, it reminds me of playing my ele shammy where it’s so difficult to come out on top, so I am used to it!

Thanks for the advice! I’ll look into those talents and play around with them.

We really shine in world PvP where we often have the advantage of terrain, but in arenas we really feel the limitations of our defenses and range. Sometimes it comes down to how adept your team is at supporting you and you them. I’ve even saved myself by snatching up a teammate and zipping away with rescue. Rescue really discombobulates melee since it’s so fast.

1 Like

Yeah, just played a Blitz and really enjoyed it. No rogues lol. It’s so much fun learning the class, and it can only get better. I used rescue on our FC to get him capping faster. Good fun.

1 Like

IDK how a warrior sticks on you outside of cc when you’re moving at full movement speed and you can easily keep them at 50%. Just kite backwards and pull them out of position.

Yeah, well I’m learning it will get better. We all got to start somewhere with a class I’ve not played. No harm in asking my fellow players for tips.

1 Like

A good war keeps you slowed. Charges and leaps mean the kite game is a matter of attrition; as in who will run out of movement abilities first and it’s usually the evoker unless the war is spamming gap closers more than necessary. At best you can only delay a warrior from reaching you and skill plus luck are what determine how long that delay is. It’s not as simple as just getting out of reach and staying out of reach.

Not to mention the several stuns available to warriors that will stop you cold.

Theres no warrior in the world that is going to keep you slowed unless you throw by not taking unburdened flight.

1 Like

Can’t hover forever, can you?

Good thing you don’t need to, because after 5 seconds of chasing the warrior should either realize that he’s outranging his healers and go someone else, or implode for being out of position.

Right, the war will just give up and find an easier target than the scaley pinatas. Wouldn’t that be nice. The longer you chase an evoker the more likely you are to catch them.

Evokers have damage that isn’t shut down by being forced to kite with the best passive damage reduction against warriors. So yes, they should go someone else.

Which again means you’re not kiting properly. You need to kite in a manner that forces melee to back off. In blitz, this is kiting back to your line so the warrior ranges his healers and is now in full contact with your team to be swapped. In arenas, this is pulling them towards your pillar so they line their healer or force their healer out of position.

You can kite properly and you can be chased properly. If both parties perform properly it’s more likely that the evoker is going to have a bad day since of the two classes the evoker is totally outclassed in utility. There’s just no getting around that. You just can’t hover forever. In my experience beating a war in a fair fight relies more on gaining temporary distance and blowing him up while watching out for the inevitable spell reflect.

Playing the kite game with a war is a bad idea. You have about 20-30 seconds to end the fight or escape it.

You don’t need to hover forever. You only need to hover long enough to pull the warrior out of position. You also have rescue, verdant embrace, and double jump (double jump is equivalent to 180% movement speed) to create distance. You also have sleep walk + whatever your teammates have to support you.

Yes. That’s…what I said :rofl:.

Those are good tactics for winning. But warriors have plenty of tools to counter that, which is why experience and a good understanding of what your opponent can do is critical for getting better at PvP.

This is what you said

Playing the kite game with a war, or any melee who thinks they can just w key at you, is a great idea. Use your toolkit. Sure you cAnT hOvEr FoReVeR but the warrior can’t charge forever.

Kiting is the act of being perpetually on the move while attacking, and evoker are pretty good at it, but honestly not great. After all, we only have so many charges of hover before we’re waiting for the ability to come off cool down. That combined with the fact that our main source of damage is an easily interrupted channeled spell that has a short range mean that it’s both easy for an evoker to gain distance and it’s easy to catch back up to them.

That’s why kiting is difficult for an evoker to do over a long period of time and it’s important to learn what other options you have as an evoker to extend that time as best you can while hopefully focusing on burst damage.

I’m saying it’s idiotic to suggest that an evoker should have an easy time against melee. It takes real effort to gain an advantage against classes that specialize in running down opponent such as warriors and rogues.

You don’t need to be pumping damage to be kiting. If you somehow don’t have any of your multiple escapes, double jump away, turn and azure strike, and repeat.

Blow bubbles and bunny hop away? I do not recommend that.

Sometimes that’s truly all you have, but you’ve reached a bad point if you find yourself doing that.