DDoS attack

How and why?

PSA: Make sure your toothbrushes aren’t part of a botnet

5 Likes

The how is a lot of computers (usually controlled as part of a botnet) all make a ton of requests to the server at once to overwhelm it. Also note that a lot of IoT devices have really bad security, so many become part of botnets.

The why (in this particular instance) is unknown. :dracthyr_blob_dance_animated:

2 Likes

Guess someone was mad at Blizzard today and that’s why everything is so hard to log in

3 Likes

Only thing I can think of is Diablo 4’s recent horse dlc.

WoWs kind of a easy target for DDoS for folks that do that. Since Blizz has plenty of reasons to become a DDoS target

1 Like

when a gamer loses his patience
the devil shivers

7 Likes

“Every time there’s an issue with our games, it’s DDoS n not a problem on our side! Also it’s your ISP’s fault!” -Blizz

5 Likes

Look, I know everyone wants to include their own “but everyone dislikes Blizzard” … sorry but no. When Blizzard gets actually attacked by serious hackers rather than weirdos who tries to login on one realm with 100+ accounts at the exact same moment, they do it because it is easy clout and recognition.

Hackers don’t give a damn about anything except getting attention. That’s how they get hired and make their money.

Blizzard’s literal only reason it is a popular DDoS/hacker target … is because they are a mega popular company that everyone’s eyes are set upon for quite literally everything they do. I’m just telling you this because … this isn’t a complicated issue. No one cares about the “horse DLC.”

You do realize that Blizzard massively loses out on money by calling it a DDoS attack, right? As it sets up the pretext that they have to higher more security personnel, update their servers, and frequently piss off players by saying “look, we know you want to login but we quite literally can’t let you do that yet.”

This isn’t some magical thing any company wants to say because to quite literally everyone, it is a bad investment to say this.

1 Like

do you really think people are ddosing wow servers because of a horse in d4? sorry but that sounds super outlandish.

Guess those who didn’t get the Love Rocket are addressing their grievance with Blizzard.

4 Likes

More like the axe

3 Likes

Botnets are also hireable, so it could just be someone decided to hire a botnet for a few hours and DDoS Blizzard for whatever reason. No clue how much such a thing costs though, so I’m not sure how accessible such a thing is, but hate and anger related DDoS attacks are pretty common (though, I imagine you’d need a large scale DDoS attack to make a meaningful impact against most large companies).

Ultimately, we don’t know the reasons, and the reasons don’t matter anyway. :fox_face:

1 Like

I just meant it as “blizz makes themselves a easy target”

And when folks know they can get away with something, its going to keep happening

1 Like

Maybe if you left the Walmart/McDonald’s WiFi hotspot you could log in

3 Likes

I said I could think of it. Didn’t mean I actually thought that was what I thought

Not exactly. They like their anonymity.

You might wonder how I know this…

Tinyviolin is a streamer that griefs hardcore guilds by purposely wiping said raids. He did it the 2nd time a day or two ago

People are claiming it’s him cause he got banned last night.

1 Like

Ah see I don’t follow WoW streamers so thats way outta my realm of knowledge lol

My question is how exactly, i would imagine they would catch on quickly to what they were doing.

If I ask does that mean I’ll be hacked?!