DDoS attack

I logged in, I have a 500 Mbps line, and got kicked out after a few quests. I don’t think it is on the user’s end as much as it is on Blizzard’s end.

1 Like

It’s rather funny you said that, because then you say

Even if it may not be real, you just proved what Shadybolt said.

2 Likes

So it is a ddos. Called it 3 hours ago

1 Like

Only the ones who are that tail hurt over it.

I ran multiple chars every day and didn’t see it drop and no skin off my back that it didn’t.

If it had wouldn’t have used anyway as was only running to add one more to still needing 10 on the 250 achieve.

You sound like you know what youre talking about so fair enough but why wouldnt it be worse for a company to say “our services are down and its literally all our fault we have no one to blame but ourselves”, rephrased for maximum enjoyment.

1 Like

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/1avvxay/are_people_this_mad_over_not_getting_the_love/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

forgot the horse armor in oblivion and the backlash Bethesda got

Sorry! But enough is enough!

Either they give me my legendary or i will continue the DDoS!

Hmm… well dang I was going to run time walking for free raid loot. Guess I’ll try to do that tomorrow and just play something else today.

the Lizard Squad dudes got prison time.
that’s kind of the opposite of “getting away with it”.

2 Likes

I was not aware of that. My bad.

It is not always the impacted company/companies who are the target. If the DDOS folks can’t get to the actual servers, they go after the exterior ISP nodes connecting things. Any traffic going through that gets impacted. So if you were already in game, you were ok. If you needed to transition to a different instance on another datacenter you could get DCed due to the traffic jam between them. Same goes for the Authentication server. The path to that was overwhelmed, but again the folks in game did not get kicked.

I don’t have any way to know if it was actually aimed at Blizzard, or Blizzard was collateral damage in a larger attack.

Some people just want to watch the world burn. :fire:

6 Likes

Looks like they’ll need “scheduled” maintenance tomorrow to fix the “DDoS” problems.

That is not what is going on. They are doing restarts tomorrow to make sure everything has a clean reboot after the mess tonight.

Ok, final update for this topic specifically –

It seems that the impact from the issues experienced earlier have been mitigated. To avoid further disruptions tonight, the WOW team is going to do restarts tomorrow morning.

We’ll get this schedule posted into the launcher and into the game client for those who aren’t watching this thread.

That gives them a fresh troubleshooting base if more issues arise. It should be fast. Should be… Fingers crossed.

3 Likes

This is a clear example of “blame the victim”. Criminals are responsible for criminal activity. You should take precautions against crime but the way you develop games is no excuse for someone to attack you.

1 Like

Right, because there are far more practical reasons to DDoS Blizzard servers?

:woman_shrugging:

It would take too long to explain here so look it up online.

Bits probably trying to prevent their accounts from deletion.

Vandalism. People who like to wreck things because they can.

Well, you said it yourself … if this wasn’t the case and they were just lying to blame it on other people, what would the consequences be?

For shareholders, they become a liability.
For players, we don’t get to play.
For terminally online folks, they have their weird obsession justified in having it.

And this happens regardless of whether Blizzard tells the truth or not. The only real change is what happens when folks find out what actually happened so… keep folks informed as best as possible for the least amount of pushback. Shareholders are still going to lament over ineptitude (regardless of whether it is that or not); players are going to be upset that we can’t play (which is eminently fair); and online trolls are just going to make stuff up or make things into bigger things than what they are regardless so…

What’s the actual point in doing anything but actually inform folks of what causes it? They still inform folks if their servers are acting up when they provided the update or not, just the same way that they point towards DDoS attacks when they do happen (and we know that Blizzard is an actual popular target).

1 Like