Dark Iron Dwarf Death Knight?

I’m curious as to why Dark Iron Dwarves can not be Death Knights? It seems like they were very much present during WotlK, yet apparently none were raised by the Lich King it seems?

Oh, but they can be monks though? How does that work?

7 Likes

Dark Iron Dwarves were indeed very much a thing during Wrath, so I’m not sure; maybe to differentiate from regular Dwarves a little more, since if they were able to be Death Knights, then that would mean the class selection would be exactly the same.

Let me know if it is the same already for another R/AR pair.

Because being a monk is something anyone can pick up and learn, and not a very specific set of circumstances involving the Lich King raising you and picking you to be one of his elite soldiers?

And yes, before you say it, its dumb worgen and goblins cant be monks. No reason they cant be.

1 Like

While they could have added DI, Zandalari, Kul’Tirans, and Mag’har the same way they added Goblins and Worgen, I think they simply don’t want to. There’s not really a shortage of potential DK races and they’d have to redo the starting zone.

1 Like

The Dark Irons weren’t involved in the affairs of the First, Second and Third Wars. They were secluded in Blackrock still enslaved to Ragnaros. Not very social with the world.

Our playable generation of death knights were those raised by the Scourge at some point between the Third War and the beginning of Wrath. Dark Irons didn’t really expand outwards until Cataclysm when they rejoined Ironforge. Plus they lived far to the south away from the Scourge.

3 Likes

The starting zone/lore is already questionable with goblin dks, because it establishes that they’re steamwheedle and then says they’re horde anyway without explaining why.
Not that I disagree with you, the goblin thing is just something I think about a lot

Same for Lightforged.

If Mag’har can be Monks (while from a completely different planet and dimension), LFD should be Monks too.

4 Likes

At this point all races should be able to be all classes. Blizz retcons their lore when it suits them so there is no longer a good reason to limit player choice. None.

4 Likes

Because of lore, no Dark Iron were killed by Arthas and then raised.

The process of being a monk and the process of being a death knight are two very different things.

No they really shouldn’t, lore is still important. All of the current race/class combos work. Those people want don’t work.

Lore is a great reason for not allowing some races to be some classes. You not liking a reason doesn’t mean that reason doesn’t exist.

3 Likes

What part of “blizz retcons their lore when it suits them” did you miss? Even they don’t care about their lore.

Agreed. I think they could be a bit more lenient, but eliminating the barrier entirely sounds awful, especially for roleplay realms

1 Like

They have announced that they are interested in implementing more classes in the future for AR. I have no idea when they plan to implement it, but if you watch there interview podcasts they have mentioned it before.

The fact that some races can’t be some classes suggests you are incorrect that they don’t care. They’ve been asked to remove the restrictions many many times for QAs and at Blizzcon, each time they’ve said no because lore was still important to the game.

There are some that are possible in the future, like DI Death knights. It will require them doing something with Bolvar first though. Without the Lich king new death knights make little sense. The player character isn’t strong enough to raise themselves, at least not yet (or hopefully ever).

2 Likes

They. Retcon. Their. Lore. When. Ever. It. Suits. Them.

There have only been a handful of retcons during WoW. The Draenei and they clarified some things in the chronicle books beyond that the lore, while changing and evolving, has yet to receive any major changes.

Unless you have examples? No NE mages, Tauren paladins/priests aren’t retcons.

I don’t think retcons really mean they don’t care about the lore, especially the really old stuff that they made when they weren’t thinking in the long-term.

Developing the lore isn’t always a retcon. Like tauren paladins are a new development, that’s expanding their lore. If they said tauren paladins had existed since WC3 then that would be a retcon since they would have changed the previously established past.

The new classes they’ve added later on aren’t retcons, they’re expansions. But races still generally have rules and many classes that will likely never happen for them.

And things that players learn can change. Just like our own history, as new information is discovered our understanding of how things work change. I.E our understanding of the stars and some of the animals from our planet has changed quite a bit as science unlocks new data.

Yall sure are reaching hard to come up with excuses for limiting player choice.

1 Like

You can’t really say there are no retcons though. Off the top of my head there was a point where draenei were native to draenor, Cenarius’s mother was changed from Ysera to Elune, and all of the blood elves went with Kael’thas to outland

2 Likes