Dang I got suckered into ordering a 5800x

…despite me saying I didn’t need to upgrade.

Why? Not entirely sure yet.

Lord have mercy

2 Likes

Maybe I’ll put a Hyper 212 on it

2 Likes

Nice! What GPU do you setup with it?

Presently an ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC paired with a 5ghz 8700k that i’ve had for over 3 years now.

Frankly I don’t know if I’ll see much benefit in most games at 1440p, but I think WoW and MMOs will benefit a little.

It’s mostly…some kind of weird compulsion to play with computer parts, I think.

Nice setup! I was running a 5800x with a 3080. Lucked out on a 5900x and upgraded to that.

WoW is buttery smooth but it doesn’t make me any better of a player, lmao. It looks nice at least…

1 Like

Problem now is indebting myself to buying other stuff.

Need a new motherboard and cooler at LEAST.

Debating if I should re-use my 3200mhz CL16…which I have an excess of really.

I dont think you’ll notice a difference. Most 3600 will be CL18. The CPU will benefit from 4x memory all running same speed but it’ll be negligible unless you’re min/maxing.

Cooler is a good idea. For the board, I went with Aorus Master X570 but that’s overkill imo. If the features of a B550 board is good enough, go with that instead.

For coolers, if you’re air cooling, I suggest the Be Quiet coolers. I set that up for my son’s Minecraft/School from home rig as his xmas present. Paired with a 5600X and a 3060, that thing runs QUIET!

2 Likes

Good idea, I almost bought one today too… saw them in stock on AMD’s website. Then I remembered I only play Wow and Valheim, so why do I need a $500 processor?

Glad you’re still thinking about me tho.

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Not sure if it’s exactly the same thing but I think I can relate… the itch to upgrade creeps in despite all logic. Actually feeling it right now but in my situation it’s best to wait for a couple things to widely hit the market first, which is killing me lol.

5800X is a beast of a CPU, I’m sure that build will be fun.

2 Likes

Yep. Is kind of like playing with toys. I want more toys.

hyper 212… nothing against air cooling but i had to switch to water for my rig the new Ryzen line tend to run warm. i tried a air cooler on it and the temps were hotter than i felt were comfortable gaming on for hours.

1 Like

haha I agree, it was a joke. Sorry :frowning:

1 Like

I’m running my 5600x with 3200 and haven’t had any issues if that is a concern. Using an Asus 570 mobo as well.

I did end up ordering a Deepcool Assassin III for it. Hyper 212 is a bit lightweight.

1 Like

5800X runs hot really fast. Get the best you can get for the cooler.

2 Likes

See above - Deepcool Assassin 3, one of the biggest air coolers and is pretty much on par with the NH-D15 - I am not interested in AIOs at this time.

2 Likes

I know. I see many complaints about temp issues. Get Kingpin KPx or Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme for the paste.

2 Likes

Same, we’ll see how it goes. Looking at guys with the D15, they are getting around 70s in gaming loads and 85-90 during say, CBR23 sustained with some minor amount of PBO or stock.

I will likely leave it at stock settings. I don’t want to have to grab a giant AIO, because I just don’t really like them.

1 Like

8 cores at 7nm. Heat density makes it harder to cool. All the CPUs these days will boost as much as possible depending on cooling. Noctua says its ok though.

Anyway, with BIOS maturing. Its a great CPU.

2 Likes