Damage meters ruined classes

Well, that falls back on blizzard for playing favorites with classes to begin with.
If all classes had the possibility of getting the same DPS, just being a matter of skill to get it, then there would be no need for the meters other than to see who was exhibiting that skill.
When I play a class/spec thats bottom of the DPS barrel, its no wonder that ‘real’ raiders wouldnt want me in their timed raid. Cant blame them at all and certainly wouldnt want to drag them down in the first place.

Blizzard could fix this by making it so its possible for ANY class /spec to hit X magic number DPS if played correctly instead of picking and choosing who their favorite is this quarter.

Ehhh, your post is a bit misleading.

1. In harder content people are still going to use meters. Granted they are not going to be a jerk to someone in a regular dungeon (normally), but acting like no one uses them is not factual.

2. Class balance is a lot closer than WoW is. When it is not, just like here, people will screech for buffs.

1 Like

In my opinion, the cluttered and disorganized spellbook mixing fun, situational and core abilities all together in one big list was almost as big a factor pushing classes towords simplification as the desire for ever-tighter balance.

and here i thought “shut up pvp guy” was Blizzard’s official stance on the matter :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I don’t understand how anyone would not want to play their best.

5 Likes

It’s not something that has ever made sense to me either. I know people say it’s because they only care about fun and I totally get fun. It is just completely beyond anything I can imagine that not wanting to improve (regardless of hobby) would ever be fun.

Not insulting anyone or anything… it is just an anathema to me.

1 Like

It´s not only the damage meter, its the meter + the ilvl checker, both tools of the elitist minority that only served to make the experience of everyone else worse.

3 Likes

Shadow priests say hi from their grossly overpowered top spot.

You’ll have to pry my damage meter from my cold, dead hand.

4 Likes

People, not meters make the game crap, just after whatever Blizz does to make it bad in the first place.

This combined with a real lack of community to provide ways for players to interact socially.

Truth is, if you hate meters, you really must suck - if you use them to kick get rid of players, then you are a jerk.

3 Likes

right but because number 10 doesn’t bring something else to the group. We’re talking in circles.

The guy calling out PVP as the main culprit on OG pruning is right. But now it’s the entitled wanting classes simply to be cosmetic.

2 Likes

I don’t worry about it when I’m questing with a friend in Party Sync. When I’m forced to join a party of randoms, I’m going to be irritated if some jerk from Brazil puts the healer on follow and does the occasional autoattack.

2 Likes

No, Blizzard did. With how they handle itemization and stat weights.

You’ll never truly know whats an upgrade for your class unless you sim it. Even items that look like an objective upgrade, may lower your damage output.

5 Likes

I actually agree

Paladins feel like paladins in Classic. The damage isn’t the best, and they can’t sustain it for long fights, but the buffs coupled with the ability to heal allies really fulfills the class fantasy of being a paladin

3 Likes

No. The pruning of abilities by Devs claiming there were too many abilities when in fact they added more abilities in the Azerite system without balancing the old is the problem. The fact that they forced a class to choose and be locked into a spec when at the beginning they already learn said skill(s) to lose knowledge of said skill(s) to a crapy boring talent system that should have been what the azerite system is that boost and better certain abilities, is the problem. The mess. The major problem is class identity. Until they fix that, classes will remain a watered down version of what it use to be.

2 Likes

Yes cause knowing how much numbers you do an in MMORPG or any video game that matter I guess that isn’t important to determine how well your doing or figure out what to improve on.

You think with RPG stuff being inserted needlessly into everything, people would be fine with bit more numbers, but apparently not. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I mean what’s next? FFXL14 or whatever banning me for running the game at 60fps, higher then 1080p, with a mouse and keyboard no less?? :scream:

Well that’s one more reason to stay away from Final Fantasy MMO (or any of the FF’s for that matter, but i digress).

“Numbers? What’s that? BAN. YOU GET BAN. NUMBERS IN VIDEO GAME EQUAL BAD THINGS APPARENTLY. SQUARNEIX SAID SO.” :crazy_face: :hammer:

3 Likes

I’m curious. If we do away with meters and ilvl checks, as some have mentioned in this thread, how exactly do you expect to kill things? (Boss hp) / (time till raid dies) = (dps check) doesn’t change just because you remove those tools.

3 Likes

I use the damage meters to track and analyze my own performance.

FFXIV has damage meters - and while yes, you can get banned for talking about them - they are used very often and they even have their own logs dot com website.

5 Likes

good lord. that has got to be the most snowflake thing I’ve ever heard of… you just get silenced for a few months or do they perma ban you?

5 Likes

I’m not sure - but I’d bet the first 1-2 offenses are treated with warning/temporary suspensions.

No reason to perma-ban someone for a single offense.

It’s not very common though - like I said, meters are used very often and there is the corresponding warcraftlogs site for FFXIV.

2 Likes